Rumor: The iPad 3 Cometh

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumor: The iPad 3 Cometh

Sources say the next tablet model from Apple will drop March 2012.

If there's one thing we've learn in the last decade or so of new models rendering fancy gadgets obsolete, Apple will not rest on the laurels of one piece of hardware. The tablet revolution starting iPad is no different, as sources close to the development hint a new model is coming soon. The new iPad 3 will be Foxconn Technology Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108168-Steve-Jobs-Steals-GDC-Thunder-with-iPad-2-Announcement] have been ramping up production on the new product and we'll most likely see the iPad 3 in Apple stores this March.

The sources who spilled the beans were reticent in releasing too many details on the new tablet, but one did mention a better screen resolution. The pixels of the the iPad 3 are small enough that images appear like printed material, one source said. Videos should also take a lot less time to buffer and start playing because of the added processing power.

The graphics processing power will also make games that have intense graphics run much smoother, and may signal more 3D remakes or ports of older games like Grand Theft Auto 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113715-See-Grand-Theft-Auto-3-In-Action-On-The-iPad] on the App Store.

There's no word on what colors the iPad 3 will come in. Me, personally, I want Apple to start shipping electronics in lame pastel colors again like the iMac in the 90s. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want a purple iPad for Easter this year? That would totally make the iPad 3 sell more units than the 1 million sold the first two days the iPad 2 was out. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108456-iPad-2-Sells-1-Million-Units-in-2-Days]

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-13/apple-said-to-prepare-march-ipad-3-debut-with-sharper-screen-faster-chip.html]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
At least they can legitimatly say they're updating the product between launches but thats only because they're selling unupgradeble proprietary appliances that force you to use their software and their hardware. Inevitably, this will be MOST of the market share in the future, but I can't help but lament how much money and buyer fatigue consumers could be saved if not for this multiple itineration release schema.

Of course, making people buy near the same thing over and over and over and over is the point now innit? Roll that beautiful cash footage.

Fortunatly, I don't need an Ipad. Because I have a goddamned computer.

PS: Greg, I noticed your forum title. Are you infact, "ain't afraid of no ghosts"?

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I don't really know what to say. I got the iPad 1 for Christmas. Its a really nice tool, and I enjoy reading on it, but I couldn't for the life of me think of a reason I would need the "2" or the "3". They are really really expensive for the average user.

To each their own I suppose, but I don't understand the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE desire to own these things that people get.

I also have an iPhone 4, and I love it (although I miss my Droid alot), but when the 4S came out, and all it really was was the "Siri" upgrade, that shut me off from ever wanting it.

But I guess people who aren't into technology and ergo don't follow it as much, are easily intrigued by this kind of stuff.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Wow, some of the rumours are just plain impossible

"The pixels of the the iPad 3 are small enough that images appear like printed material, one source said." apart from the whole being lit from behind which is the major difference.

"Videos should also take a lot less time to buffer and start playing because of the added processing power." really? I thought that was a bandwidth problem, nothing to do with the CPU since it's internet speed that makes them buffer in the first place.

once more in to the bullshit dear friends, once more!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Another year, another iPad, <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.288761-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2>probably another Chinese kidney lost.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Cant say im surprised theres a new one due for release, its pretty much the only way apple makes cash these days and only appletards are the core audience at this point since nobody else is stupid enough to instantly upgrade every few months.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
At least they can legitimatly say they're updating the product between launches but thats only because they're selling unupgradeble proprietary appliances that force you to use their software and their hardware. Inevitably, this will be MOST of the market share in the future, but I can't help but lament how much money and buyer fatigue consumers could be saved if not for this multiple itineration release schema.

Of course, making people buy near the same thing over and over and over and over is the point now innit? Roll that beautiful cash footage.

PS: Greg, I noticed your forum title. Are you infact, "ain't afraid of no ghosts"?
The iPad is what it is because apple can focus only on making the best tablet, without worrying about compatibility with different software or hardware, or about making it upgradeable.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
broken-serenity said:
Cant say im surprised theres a new one due for release, its pretty much the only way apple makes cash these days and only appletards are the core audience at this point since nobody else is stupid enough to instantly upgrade every few months.
I face palmed so hard when I read this my hand came out the back of my head. I sincerely hope you are trolling.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
brainslurper said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Another year, another iPad, another Chinese kidney lost.
I fail to understand the relationship between kidneys and iPads.
There was an Article a while back about some Chinese kid who sold his kidney to get enough cash for an iPad 2. Bet he feels kinda stupid now though :p

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Polock said:
I don't really know what to say. I got the iPad 1 for Christmas. Its a really nice tool, and I enjoy reading on it, but I couldn't for the life of me think of a reason I would need the "2" or the "3". They are really really expensive for the average user.

To each their own I suppose, but I don't understand the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE desire to own these things that people get.

I also have an iPhone 4, and I love it (although I miss my Droid alot), but when the 4S came out, and all it really was was the "Siri" upgrade, that shut me off from ever wanting it.

But I guess people who aren't into technology and ergo don't follow it as much, are easily intrigued by this kind of stuff.
I think a common misconception is that because a new device is released each year, you need to buy one each year. I buy one, and then buy a new one when I feel like it would be worth it.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
Pretty standard stuff by the looks of it. Then again, we won't really know until it's official. As much as a lot of people complain about the frequent updates, they make it possible for consumers to always get new, up-to-date tech when they decide they want to upgrade.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
brainslurper said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Another year, another iPad, another Chinese kidney lost.
I fail to understand the relationship between kidneys and iPads.
I guess my reference is a bit... obscure.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.288761-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It sounds cool, but I am saving for a MacBook pro so I don't need an iPad

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Yay!
Another overrated piece of shit i can ignore only to occasionally join in with the fun of Charlie Brooker and everyone else taking the piss of it.
Good times.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
brainslurper said:
The iPad is what it is because apple can focus only on making the best tablet, without worrying about compatibility with different software or hardware, or about making it upgradeable.
Why is it then that the iPad was inferior to a HP tablet (the TC1100, I think) released years before it? I mean, not just technically, but also feature-wise the iPad fell short of something released in like, 2005.

Dec 14, 2009
brainslurper said:
TsunamiWombat said:

Great joke, you almost had me there.

OT: Apple are great at what they do, and what they do is sell bog standard tech at a ridiculously high price to people who will buy anything with an Apple logo on it.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Are people legitimately excited for this? I really really hope not, it just doesn't make sense.