Rumor: The Old Republic's Space Combat Lacks Freedom [UPDATED]

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
JaredXE said:
Actually, Jump to Lightspeed was the better of the expansions Galaxies had, and I wouldn't mind a space sim like that in TOR.
Yeah I really liked the space combat in Jump To Lightspeed it's actually all I spent my time doing in that game and I completely unbalanced my character until the dreaded updates...

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
kibayasu said:
If Blizzard can put in a top down shooter in Starcraft 2 and receive praise for it, BioWare can throw in an on-rails shooter in an MMORPG.

As long as I can control the crosshair with my mouse.
That's two very different things all together.

TOR - An MMORPG set in a universe were space combat is a very real thing.
SC2 - An RTS game with a small mini game in a cantina that has no bearing on the game whatsoever and is more of an easter egg to a very old blizzard game.

If it's a rail shooter, it's a bad move, as there would be alot of people very interested in space combat in Star Wars. I'm hoping it (and the news about removing features from DA2) are just bad translations and misunderstandings, other wise it would appear Bioware have decided to only make games that are easy for them to make (which does not sound like the company at all)

So I'm currently in the "I don't believe this rumour" field.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Lylat Wars was on rails and that was the fucking tits.

That was a productive 1000th post. Go me.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Pugiron said:
This sucks, and anyoen who is on here defending it is not a fan of piloting combat or sims. Space Combat should not be limited to being a turret gunner, thats stupid and boring.
Good job it's not then, they already updated the post on the forums to confirm it's not a turret shooter.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
First, let me start by saying that I was/am expecting them to make a proper flight "sim". It was done in Galaxies. And I am hoping that it is, indeed, not on rails, and that that screenshot is factual.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
...Did anyone else get all choked up at the image in the article? ...Man those were some awesome games.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
The SW:ToR forums were full of people complaining about the lack of space combat, but I think the worse option is to poorly implement it.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
From what I understand, it won't be on rails. Although if it was, I wouldn't mind. It's not like space combat was a huge part of the Knights of the Old Republic franchise, that was all on rails too.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Harkwell said:
Wha...? Have Bioware never watched any of the movies? Space combat was a big part of the series. Cutting it up to the point that its not its own experience but simply a minigame (See: KoTOR) isn't space combat.
Remember that scene in Star Wars when Luke is flying through the Death Star's trenches going for the exhaust port? Watch that scene again, and tell me it isn't just like a rail shooter.

Besides, Star Wars has enough 'on the ground' content to make 10 great genres without bogging it down with the notoriously difficult to develop space sim genre.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Not really surprised seriously... I always taught that if they added space combat it would pretty much like in KotOR

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Hope Wanes!

Srsly tho....Rumor could make or break this...and if this is true I hear the sound of a sickening crack....

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
This is how I see it: we already know every owns a cruiser, even the smallest cruiser requires a separated pilot and gunmen, you can't be both. Now if it was a small starfighter, I could understand have both freedom of piloting and using the weapons. I can understand the developer's choices here.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a real shame, would have loved to see it play a much greater part in the whole sceghem of things