Rumor: This Is the New PS3

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rumor: This Is the New PS3

If pictures unearthed by Brazlian tech site are to be believed, the new PS3 model looks a lot like the PS2 slim.

The picture to the right was harvested from the website of Anatel, Brazil's Agency of Telecommunications. The document that came with the image makes reference to models CECH-4011A, CECH-4011B and CECH-4011C. For those of you who don't speak long-unwieldy-model-code-ese, the latest line of slim PS3s is the CECH-30XX series.

Assuming the images are legit, the new PS3 sports matte ribbing, and the panel on the left of the symbol looks very similar to the cheaper, top-loading CD drive used by the PS2 slim.

Earlier this month, NeoGaf users discovered an FCC database filing [https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=536648&fcc_id=%27AK8CBEH19C1%27] for an unannounced PS3 model. Most of the information in the filing is confidential by Sony's request, but the few diagrams the press managed to get hold of indicate a smaller, squatter version of the console that's closer to the original PS3 in shape. The image from Anatel does seem to match that description.

Of course, it could also be a hoax made up of pipe cleaners and corrugated plastic.

Source: Technoblog [http://tecnoblog.net/107348/novo-ps3-anatel/]

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
A slimmer PS3 model? Eh, I don't really see the point aside from it looking nice. IF this is true, of course.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
But, didn't they release a slim model less than 3 years ago?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Slap a $99 price tag on that sucker like they did the slim PS2 and the slim PS1 before it, and I'm sold. I always wanted a PS3, but the consoles were so expensive this gen (/especially/ the PS3) that I wound up going with a PC for my primary gaming machine. Not that I don't love PC gaming anyway, but there's something to be said for the kind of games that don't often get PC releases.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
True or not my response is a resounding "meh." A new slim model is fine and all that buy frankly its about time that we started seeing a slowdown of PS3 stuff and got some more info regarding the next generation!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Seems like a really weird shape for a toploader IMO. Should either be like the other PS3's or be more squared

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd say it's a hoax, Sony already released a slim, so unless this is the super slim?, I reckon it's fake.

Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
So this ISN'T the PS4.
Knowing Sony, it still could be.
It says Playstation 3 on label, next to the big SONY, FYI.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Slap a $99 price tag on that sucker like they did the slim PS2 and the slim PS1 before it, and I'm sold. I always wanted a PS3, but the consoles were so expensive this gen (/especially/ the PS3) that I wound up going with a PC for my primary gaming machine. Not that I don't love PC gaming anyway, but there's something to be said for the kind of games that don't often get PC releases.
Heck yeah! The PS3 has some cool exclusives but I can't justify the cost of the console what with all the others I own and my small paychecks. If there was a small PS3 at that cost I'd definitely be onboard to catch up with the games I missed, much like I do with the PS2 slim right now.

Simalacrum said:
True or not my response is a resounding "meh." A new slim model is fine and all that buy frankly its about time that we started seeing a slowdown of PS3 stuff and got some more info regarding the next generation!
A cost-effective PS3 that doesn't take up a lot of space is a brilliant thing to release at the end of the current console generation. With the lack of backwards-compatibility becoming widespread, it's a good way of making sure past games aren't forgotten.