Rumor: Tomb Raider 9 Sets Lara Free on Japanese Island

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Tomb Raider 9 Sets Lara Free on Japanese Island

More rumored details have come out about an unofficial Tomb Raider reboot that could give Lara advancement choices beyond pushing crates.

The rumored Tomb Raider reboot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93096-Tomb-Raider-Reboot-in-the-Works] now has even more rumors to associate with previous rumors, this time involving gameplay and setting. PC Gamer's latest rumor column "The Spy" has the probably-true details.

The magazine once again states that Crystal Dynamics has a reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise in the works, and isn't referring to the isometric Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8011-Review-Lara-Croft-and-the-Guardian-of-Light] recently released on XBLA (and coming to PSN and PC). The ninth main series game to star Lara Croft will reportedly take a radical approach.

Rather than Lara being led into a series of linear levels again, earlier indications that Tomb Raider 9 would incorporate a sandbox/open world feel could be true after all. The Spy writes that the game will be set on a Japanese island; its only level. However, it'll be large enough so that Lara can make her own way around its puzzles and take multiple paths. It sounds similar to games like Deus Ex [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Pc/dp/B00003OPES] that allow you to either pick a door's lock, or kill an enemy and steal the key.

The Spy also says that it'll be a prequel to earlier Tomb Raider games and will explore Croft's origins. She'll be "younger and inexperienced" instead of the seasoned tomb pilferer seen in previous titles.

These are still just rumors, but when something looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it normally ends up being a duck. It was leaked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101797-Rumor-New-Tomb-Raider-Coming-Christmas-2011] in late June that the still unofficial Tomb Raider reboot was targeted for the holiday period of 2011, so we may hear something about the game in late 2010 or early next year to build hype. That's if it's actually a duck, anyway.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/]

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Tomb Raider Underworld was absolutely terrible, so I'm highly suspicious of this new game starring the world's most fantastic pair of tits on legs. However, early days, so let's see what happens!

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I like the idea, and after all Tomb Raider (the main series anyway) needs to be freshened up. I'm not saying Crystal Dynamics games where bad just slowly stagnating the original formula.

Actually I'd prefer a clean cut reboot, tighten up the story and loose all the dead weight currently attached to the series.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The important question that instantly popped in my mind is, will younger Lara have smaller or larger breasts than older Lara?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Are reboots with younger versions of popular characters the new thing now?

Feb 13, 2008
JaymesFogarty said:
Tomb Raider Underworld was absolutely terrible, so I'm highly suspicious of this new game starring the world's most fantastic pair of tits on legs. However, early days, so let's see what happens!
I humbly, and often violently, disagree. Lara has some really bad parts (Angel of Darkness) but Underworld was beautiful.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Somehow I don't see an open-world Tomb Raider game working. Lara Croft's adventures are always linear and the environments are diverse. It's just not a game that benefits from sandbox gameplay.

I could still be proven wrong, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The problem with the Tomb Raider games is that they seem to be trying to attach new stuff to old-school mechanics; most notably it rears it's head with the control schemes and the targeting system, which is essentially the same (read: shit) as it was when the series first started, only now a big red circle appears.

Then make a story that doesn't require 3 games to loosely tie random stuff together and make it much prettier - this is the sort of game where being a graphics whore is absolutely what you should be.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I remember reading in OPM that they were going to add elements of survival horror, with creepy demon enemies and the sort. Maybe it's this.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Bad idea. I mean her origin stuff was covered somewhat in Last Revelation and Chronicles, please no more.

Just go back to the old formulas of the originals: keep the controls basic, step up the difficulty and trap count, more old school room puzzles and platforming, huge levels but with linear paths, no more quicktime events and crash bandicoot boss battles and give Lara her breasts back.

Besides the only people who buy TR games are the fans and its about time they started going back to the roots.

Seriously the re-release of the first Tombraider on the PSN has been the best TR related news and release for about ten years.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems she is suffering a revival at the moment - Making me feel all nostalgic XD

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
For the love of all things holy, don't give her more room to run around in! She'll just end up stealing *more* priceless historical artifacts for her personal collection and killing a bunch of guys who are probably more heroic than her!

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JaymesFogarty said:
I humbly, and often violently, disagree. Lara has some really bad parts (Angel of Darkness) but Underworld was beautiful.
The graphics were nice, and the story was great, (especially the heart-throbbing reveal near the end) but the gameplay was as glitchy as hell for me. The motorbike kept disappearing, preventing me from continuing with the level. The scenery also had stutters, and the frame rate when firing on screen and jumping was terrible. Also, the combat was awful, and the weapons lacked any form of strategy to them. I loved the game on a cinematic level, but as a game itself I think it definitely needed a few more months.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
Bad idea. I mean her origin stuff was covered somewhat in Last Revelation and Chronicles, please no more.

Just go back to the old formulas of the originals: keep the controls basic, step up the difficulty and trap count, more old school room puzzles and platforming, huge levels but with linear paths, no more quicktime events and crash bandicoot boss battles and give Lara her breasts back.

Besides the only people who buy TR games are the fans and its about time they started going back to the roots.

Seriously the re-release of the first Tombraider on the PSN has been the best TR related news and release for about ten years.

Agreed, although I did enjoy the Guardian of Light.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
An origin story on Lara Croft? I'm sorry Crystal Dynamics, but Lara Croft has no depth whatsoever.

If she's supposed to be the female Indiana Jones then just let her be that: Just create a fun adventure in an exotic location and have fun with he story and characters. Stop tangling this franchise up with superficial drama and origins.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
So a younger, more innocent looking and cuter Lara with more jiggle physics?

Oh yeah..and new gameplay additions. Can't forget them :cool:

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is one franchises that needs a reboot. The story in previous games was such a clusterfuck and it was boring and unimaginative. They should just start of with a blank slate and make a fresh start for the series.