Rumor: Too Human Developer Lays Off 75 Percent of Staff

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Exar Kun85 said:
Solution: Eternal Darkness HD..... you can thank me later.
yeah when I saw that they got government funds, I thought they shoulda first re-released Eternal Darkness for download first

but I guess getting to play with the X-Men license was too enticing

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'm more surprised that Canadian Government funded that rpg game.

I suppose its not completely unheard of.. considering U.S. government funded America's Army.

aegix drakan said:
Wait...Those guys were Canadian?!

As a Canadian myself, I apologize on their behalf for Too Human and that X-Men game. :(

I will also pump my fist in the air over Eternal Darkness, and offer condolences to the people that got laid off.
you can also apologize for Justin Bieber while you're at it. :(

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I suspect Silicon Knights won't be around for very much longer, unless they go into making iPhone games or web-based games.

Frankly, I was surprised that they even existed up until now. I thought they had gone under a long time ago.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
So much for the trilogy eh?
I'd say I'm happy cause now they wont make anything like that again... but I'm also pretty sad because those poor hard working people lost their jobs.
Good luck to them all on their future endeavors.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sounds like the Canadian Government should have payed that money to another studio. That is government spending for you. Put it into failed endeavors. All well. If that were the US Government, they would have given them ten times that amount of money, then they would have given them more when their last game failed, then more to prevent layoffs, then more just because that is how inept the US government is when it comes to spending money.

Also, $8 Million Canadian to hire new staff and make a AAA title? Really? That is nowhere near enough money to make a new title.

It sucks that people lost their jobs. But no government should subsidize a company.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
bahumat42 said:
why do people create bad games like this latest x-men abomination and expect it to sell
They were commissioned to make a game. It's not like they could say half way through, "Oh wait, this is shit." And then not release anything or ask for another year. Money went into the game, they have to release something.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Dont see why every one acts so sad when something like this happens.

These guys made shitty games. The games did not sell because they sucked. And thus, they had to close. Thats the way it should be. Its not like some big publisher bought them up and closed them just for the fun of it (looking at you, THQ).

Imagine for a moment that SK were, I dont know, a restaurant and not a game studio. If the service was bad and the food tasted bad, while the prices were still as high as other decent restaurants in the area, do they really deserve the "BAW SO SAD" treatment when they close?

I dont get it, I really dont.
Yeah, because video games are as immediate as the food service industry.

Do you really think they went into this thinking, "Oh boy, we're going to go make some really bad games, Yippie!"?
Games development is typically a big, orchestrated mess, and no one formula works for every title and every developer.
When you add in licensing, time constraints, and a project that wasn't particularly inspired, the same amount of effort that made a great game like Thief 2 (made in just a year with borrowed assets and engine but is great to this day) could make any of the thousands of sub-par games out there.

I'm not really talking about Silicon Knights at this point, but neither were you, really.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
GOOD.

I'm still bitter about just how badly they fucked up Too Human, and dashed my expectations of what was supposed to be one of the coolest sounding games of all time.

They deserve to get fired and close their studio, and it's a wonder why it's taken this long.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
But, but, but...........but no Too Human 2? You left a opening for a sequel! You must give me closure. Shame that people had to lose their jobs though. Tough times for all, nearly all.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I don't care that they have made some less than stellar games, my sympathy goes to all of the people who have just lost their jobs.

It's hard enough to get a job in the game industry, suddenly losing you're job like that really sucks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's a shame because I really liked Too Human. No really I did. My only gripe with that game was the over the top, long ass death sequence, but that only made me a better player to try avoid it.

I would have even bought DLC/ the Sequel(s) if they came to be.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, Eternal Darkness... good.

Too Human, X-Men: Destiny... bad.

They may have made some stinkers, but I was holding out hope that they'd get their act together and dazzle us once again with the ingenuity and talent that's defined their past works.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
As far as I see it, there are 2 ways to go out of business in this industry:
-Make bad games
-Get bought by EA

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
Disappointing to see a home-town company take a cut like this, but if they aren't bringing in the good after they've been given so much it is hard to defend them. I loved Eternal Darkness and their MGS remake.. but two games made 9 and 7 years ago respectably do little to make up for the long development times for their recent trite.