Rumor: Too Human Developer Lays Off 75 Percent of Staff

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumor: Too Human Developer Lays Off 75 Percent of Staff

The Canadian government-funded game studio behind Too Human and X-Men Destiny reportedly suffered major cutbacks today.

Silicon Knights is an independent game studio based in St. Catharine's, Ontario across the border from Niagara Falls, NY. Despite receiving money from multiple government sources in order to create highly sought after jobs, reports are coming in from anonymous sources close to the company that Silicon Knights has laid off most of it staff. According to the sources, the company shrank by nearly 75 percent - reduced from 97 full time employees to just 25.

"Silicon Knights has had massive layoffs. They are now down to a core staff of 25 people," one source said.

"It may interest you to note that SK laid off all but 25 employees today," said another.

Founded by Denis Dyack in 1992, Silicon Knights made a few DOS games before making a big splash in 2002 with Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Nintendo GameCube. After the dismal Too Human in 2008 and an Canadian Federal government [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108891-Silicon-Knights-Keeps-Up-the-Fight-Against-Epic] totaling $8 million Canadian to grow to a staff of 97 and "make a AAA game."

Unfortunately for Dyack, Silicon Knights and the people who no longer are employed at the studio, that game may have been X-Men Destiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9156-X-Men-Destiny-Review]. Its critical and commercial failure greatly contributed to the financial situation in which these layoffs were a necessity.

Silicon Knights has not confirmed or denied these layoffs, but if the rumor proves true, The Escapist extends condolences to the families of those who might have lost their jobs. With some help, I'm sure that they'll find work again soon.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/silicon-knights-layoffs]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
When you release games that everyone seems to hate, this isn't too surprising.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Just think, they could've had enough money to hire twice their max staff had they just done something more in the Eternal Darkness universe...

Jan 27, 2011
Wait...Those guys were Canadian?!

As a Canadian myself, I apologize on their behalf for Too Human and that X-Men game. :(

I will also pump my fist in the air over Eternal Darkness, and offer condolences to the people that got laid off.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Wait X-Men destiny was by the same guys like too human?

Y u no learn from mistakes?!

I mean seriously, Too Human had potential...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Too bad that Too Human was such a pisser in terms of gameplay. The idea behind it was frickin' sweet, and I would have slogged through two more instances of it to see the story concluded... but it'll never happen now. :\
Tough break for the folks who lost their jobs (if this is indeed true)... hope they get back on their feet soon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
When you release games that everyone seems to hate, this isn't too surprising.
Yeah, really.

I don't want to see people losing jobs in this environment, but still, cause and effect. Put out a bad product...Get the ax. Seems logical at least.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Somewhere in that group of people laidoff....are great ideas....now we can hope that they can bud and sprout....and something kickass will be born!

Didnt they make that crazy Survival Horror game for the Gamecube that everyone seems to love?

Y U NO MAKE PROFITABLE GAME!

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Protip: Dont make shitty games

Just make a Eternal Darkness sequel and count your losses.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Darn. It's sad to see the guys who developed Blood Omen fall so low- first to fall to mediocrity, then now to being a tiny, insignificant speck.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
Protip: Dont make shitty games

Just make a Eternal Darkness sequel and count your losses.
Considerin how crappy Eternal Darkness sold (despite how awesome it was) I'm not at all surprised they never made a sequel.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while a bummer, not surprising :/ Xmen wasn't bad, just, boring, wish i'd gotten something else .... like Viewtful joe :p

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
maybe they should get together with the people that made X-Blades and Blade Kitten and create a new studio, while they're at it hire Uwe Boll as story developer and M. Night Shyamalan to write the next Eternal Darkness XD

but in all seriousness they sucked at making games hence they're not cut out for the video game industry maybe they can make RPG books, they seem to be good with pitching pen and paper ideas