Rumor: Tron: Legacy Might Be a Financial Flop

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Freebird. said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
Daft Punk.

Olivia Wilde.

I fail to see why someone wouldn't want to see this film.
People who can't listen to more than a minute of Daft Punk songs because they're so repetitive? People who think Olivia Wilde is a talentless whore who is only famous because of her looks?
Talentless whore who is only famous for looks.

I'm a bit lost, sounds like about 150 different people who are celebrities.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Interesting. A female friend of mine didn't really like the original but is very much looking forward to the new one. At any rate, surely this shouldn't shock anyone but who knows, maybe all the female nerds will come out of the woodwork and all the male dorks will be filled with hope that they might actually touch a boob before they hit their 30s.

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
I'm a woman and dragging my not-terribly-interested husband to it. But I'm not sure "loved the original in my late teens and want to see a CGI reverse-aged Jeff Bridges" is precisely the demographic Disney is interested in targeting...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Mackheath said:
Huh. They said the same thing as Avatar edged closer to release, as I recall.
Yeah, but Avatar WAS crap.
Opinions. Avatar was awesome.

Anyway, it's a rumour, which, like an opinion, should never be confused with fact. Anyway, it's out over Christmas when people will likely have a lot of spare time to do things like go and see films. Plus, if everyone has already seen the new Harry Potter by then, perhaps they will then go and see Tron: Legacy.

If a film about tall blue nature loving aliens one some far flung moon can rake in the big bucks, maybe the same can be managed by a film about people inside a computer world, flinging discs at each other and zooming around on crazy virtual motorbikes.

As a random aside, this film is serving as a constant reminder of my age, as I'm as old in years as the original Tron. Though, perhaps fortunately, there hasn't been a sequel to me 28 years later....:)

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Freebird. said:
I just don't see how anyone could listen to a song like Around the World the whole way through.
I hate the 4 minute radio edit of Around the World because it's just not enough time to get into it! 8 minute album version all the way!

randomize4

Jul 21, 2009
The movie looks okay. It may not be successful, but I don't really care.

Now the soundtrack is a different story. That is going to be epic.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
I bet they make a cameo in the one of the crowds...they always do.

Definitely going to see this...in 3D, even!
They are in the movie for sure..just look at the this trailer...right there in the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKp9Noi7Ptc

TheGreenManalishi said:
Freebird. said:
I just don't see how anyone could listen to a song like Around the World the whole way through.
I hate the 4 minute radio edit of Around the World because it's just not enough time to get into it! 8 minute album version all the way!
This ..i love around the world and the music video for it makes all the little differences noticeable which brings out the re-enjoyability of it when listening to it over and over again.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Apparently, Pizar helped out with the script. [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Pixar-Writers-Brought-In-To-Work-On-Tron-Legacy-Script-19550.html]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Freebird. said:
People who can't listen to more than a minute of Daft Punk songs because they're so repetitive?
While I'd agree with you on that count with Homework, I disagree with you on their other albums. They got far better with the variations after Homework.
Oi, no bashing Homework!

Revolution 909 alone makes that album sweet.

OT: Will I go see this movie? Hmm, maybe. It's got Jeff Bridges in it, so who knows.

VelvetHorror

Oct 22, 2010
I knew it was going to be a flop the moment I heard about it. Like how I knew the Speed Racer movie was going to flop as well. Some older series can do pretty well as a movie later on, but these movies can't be done well, easily.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
the idea where films have to make so much in their opening weekend to cover the their opening costs, even when the 2 amounts DO NOT equal the same, is very much like the back catalogue of the music industry.
So if it cost them $200million to make, and they say they need to recoup $50 million in its opening weekend, then its not unreasonable that they expect it to claw back that extra $150mil both worldwide, on dvd, and ultimately when it ends up in the bargain bucket next year for $7 when you buy anything else in store.

On topic, Tron never interested me, not in the slightest. I saw the trailer for this in 3D, i couldn't help but think that this could easily beat avatar and so i am looking forward to seeing it. Before some fanboy tries to jump on me from across the web, what i mean by beat avatar. Is actually do something other than produce a load of excellently rendered special effects. Like i don't know, have a storyline which isn't obvious within the first 15minutes (and thats for slow people)

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I am not concerned as this movie is still comming out and I am still planning on seeing it.

Side note. I have been looking (kinda) for the last two weeks for a hard coppy of the origional Tron and just keep coming up dry. (Fry's Electronics, Bestbuy, Target all nothing.)
What gives?

chieften

Sep 15, 2009
I'm surprised Mike lives in Flagstaff. But I wish we had more theatres than pretty much the one Harkins here in Flag.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've never seen the first but I'm really excited about this movie. I've heard Tron mentioned on this website and in many other nerd circles. Maybe I'll get to see the first one before Legacy comes out.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe it will do poorly, maybe it won't. Industry insiders really know nothing. I remember how Titanic was universally predicted to be this huge, embarassing flop.

editor's note: I'm referring to Titanic the movie, not Titanic the ship which did, in fact, turn out to be a hugely embarrassing flop.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Well it's biggest competition that week is Yogi bear so...

I think it will be fine.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I hope that the movie will prove a great experience I have to agree that there is little there to market to female audiences. The story was supposed to be so high minded in it's original inception and seeing the Hollywood version of any female in movies (read: sexy accoutrement for the male protagonist) is discouraging.

It's still pretty clear that Hollywood has little to no idea how to make a movie truly mass appeal instead of "mass males aged 18-34 appeal". I can't help but blame them for their own shortcomings but I feel awful that it detracts from IPs that don't necessarily deserve it.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
i am going to see this mainly cause the tron bikes from the first one now look kick-ass + im interested what the sequel actually is about since the ending of the first.

release date is apparently 17/12/2010

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
One of the major problems is that the film doesn't seem terribly appealing to female audiences, so "Disney is scrambling to find ways to garner more female interest in the film."
Three thoughts: Why does it have to, Why shouldn't it and Oh my god, are they going to Twilight it?