Rumor: Tron: Legacy Might Be a Financial Flop

Dr. Dan Challis

Sep 18, 2009
If it gets some unusually strong reviews from mainstream critics I can certainly see Tron breaking out. I'm not really expecting that to happen, though. A sequel to Tron is just too niche and the audience that it's catering to, while vocal, isn't very big.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Freebird. said:
Covarr said:
It's not Olivia Wilde's fault her character in House is so poorly written and conceived.
A bad character doesn't excuse bad acting. That said, whoever she plays in this is guaranteed to be more interesting than Thirteen.

But Daft Punk's inclusion is a good point; while I enjoy them myself, I know a lot of people who would consider them a dealbreaker for any movie.

P.S. Thanks
I too like Daft Punk, despite my previous comments. I just don't see how anyone could listen to a song like Around the World the whole way through.
I'm doing it as we speak.
gamepopper101 said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
Daft Punk.

Olivia Wilde.

I fail to see why someone wouldn't want to see this film.
Don't forget to add Jeff Bridges and John Hurt!
Holy shit John Hurt is in this movie??

WillItWork

Apr 7, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Mackheath said:
Huh. They said the same thing as Avatar edged closer to release, as I recall.
Yeah, but Avatar WAS crap.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

On the other hand, there's the meeting father trailer, and the whole thing seems damn cool. I know I'm a gaming computer geek, but come on!

Besides, there's always the Kingdom Hearts folk, right?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
TheGreenManalishi said:
Daft Punk.

Olivia Wilde.

I fail to see why someone wouldn't want to see this film.
As a girl, those are my main two reasons to see it :D

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure everyone's excited about this, so I wouldn't worry. This "rumor" is honestly the first negative thing I've heard anyone say. I mean c'mon, Jeff Bridges, Daft Punk? I've heard the soundtrack and it's perfect. Unless the story secretly sucks, I have a feeling this is going to meet with great success.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
I too have high hopes for this movie, but I have to be honest.

The whole "action boy meets enigmatic yet beautiful yet brainy and independent and competent girl while uncovering xxxxxxx" schtick has gotten so incredibly yawnsome to me, that I almost turned away when the trailer showed slinky Olivia Wilde slinking her way in her slinky suit across the digi-couch.

"If it aint broken, dont fix it" doesnt apply to several generations of the same movie archtypes. When I can see what the lead female's role is going to be before I even hear her speak a single line... its time for a revision in our action movies.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Yep, it could be a flop. Or it could do $100million in the first weekend and $300million in the second. Let's hear it for speculation!

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Moviebob, if you're listening you need an editorial to tell all geeks to see this movie whether they want to or not. The last thing geeks (and filmgoers in general) need is this being outsold by Yogi bear.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Well, I have a female friend that never saw the original (and neither did I), and we're both "OMG GOTTA WATCH THIS MOVIE!"

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Canid117 said:
Well it's biggest competition that week is Yogi bear so...

I think it will be fine.
I think you are underestimating the public's love for crappy, rebooted, live-action/CGI, re-imaginging shitstains that ruin precious memories of my childhood. I fucking HATE you, Hollywood!

Until you make another Inception, then everything's fine.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
These "estimate" things are always bullshit. You can't calculate an audience's reaction like this. Tron 2 will be a huge hit, I've been looking forward to it for years and other people around here are hyped.

Also Disney, probably would've been a good idea to NOT try to hide the original film and its apparently embarrassing special effects, because that will just confuse new audiences who don't have any background, especially since it's a SEQUEL. Yeah, that's right, read up about it, they're trying to hide it away and delay the Blu-Ray of the original film.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I went to see Legacy with four chick friends and they all set to squee-ing the moment the credits rolled. (Also every time Zeus came on screen??) One even went to see it again later.

Honestly, I think the movie had a great deal more nerd appeal than family hook going on -- although I certainly would have dug the hell out of it when I was 12. And I did at 20.

(Astonishingly--for me--I'm even kind of wishing they'd follow up on the franchise-set-up-deal they did with certain plot elements...and do a sequel o_O)