RUMOR: Unedited Original Star Wars Trilogy Coming to Blu-Ray

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
WHAT? This is? What? If everything predicted happens to be true? Holy shit, this could actually get good.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
albino boo said:
Icehearted said:
Because of capitalism's reign on "creativity" and the inundation of origin stories, which is the new reboot, which is the new remake, and so on have smothered creativity, I can totally believe they're attempt an eventual "do-over" with the prequels. They can deny it till their blue in the face, we all know those movies were catastrophic to the franchise and the fandom. Another shot to get it "right" cash in would be too juicy to pass up.

Small but rather important point. Lucas didn't have creative control on the first 3 films but had full creative control on the second 3 films. Lucas had full control of the special editions. Yet the majority opinion thinks the first 3 films were good and the second 3, and the special editions, were terrible.
I agree, they were terrible, but your counterpoint seems to contradict a great deal of articles, interviews, etc. This one for example:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.244758-Han-Should-Have-Died-in-Return-of-the-Jedi-Says-Harrison-Ford

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
called this back when Disney got the rights. they love money and whats the one thing that would be sure to sell? the thing fans have been asking for since the first revision by lucus.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not really bothered by it. I mean, if they do, great. I'll probably pick 'em up eventually. If not? Eh. Got my DVDs. I'm good.

luckshot said:
if this happens i will be forced to buy a blu-ray player, i figure if these are the only movies i got for it then it would still be worth it.

the second rumor almost makes it all seem like a prank so i guess wait and see until an official announcement
Why not just get the DVD versions? I mean, I know they're just "bonus discs" on the "special edition," but would you really need to go HD for one set of really dated movies?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
This sounds like an April Fools' joke. I can believe getting the original trilogy on Blu-Ray. Whether they do anything to clean it up or just re-release the laser disk versions again remains to be seen. Although, this may be sufficient to get me to finally get a Blu-Ray player.

Regulating the prequels as "legend," that's harder to swallow. The way Lucas was trying to force the prequels down our throats, I can see Lucas putting a stipulation in the sale contract that Disney cannot do that, like when you buy an old church and they make you sign a piece of paper promising to not convert it into a topless bar. More likely, Disney will simply stop trying to force the prequels onto us anymore, so most of the Star Wars imagery and licensed products will be from the original trilogy. That's fine, I guess.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I wouldn't mind it if they kept the updated CGI and colour corrections, and exclusively removed Greedo shooting first and the CGI Jabba scene and all of the other fucking unnecessary shit that Lucas cluttered the films with.

But alas, I have a feeling I will have to sit and wait on this one.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
STENDEC1 said:
were produced from an old 2K scan anyway (made for the 2004 DVDs), so the quality is fairly poor by today's standards.
2k scans are higher definition than 1080p which means you wont see any difference as it will only come out on the Bluray as sharp as the lower resolution, same goes for 4k. They will look identical when converted to 1080p as their resolution are reduced for the disc/player.
That said when they go to 4k standard they will need to do a new scan at 4k (however 4k looks no different to 1080p so frankly it's a waste of time).

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
If this is true: awesome. Then I'll just need to get these uncut movies on DVD or find a Blu ray player.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
RicoADF said:
STENDEC1 said:
were produced from an old 2K scan anyway (made for the 2004 DVDs), so the quality is fairly poor by today's standards.
2k scans are higher definition than 1080p which means you wont see any difference as it will only come out on the Bluray as sharp as the lower resolution, same goes for 4k. They will look identical when converted to 1080p as their resolution are reduced for the disc/player.
That said when they go to 4k standard they will need to do a new scan at 4k (however 4k looks no different to 1080p so frankly it's a waste of time).
I disagree. If you scan at 2K you're only JUST getting better resolution than 1080. It's bigger, but not by much (3,186,688 pixels for 2K vs 2,073,600 pixels for 1080, whereas 4K has 8,847,360 pixels). And there most certainly is a difference between a film scanned at 2K and 4K on Blu-ray. Have you watched the recently restored Lawrence of Arabia? It was mastered in 4K, but yet you're obviously watching it in 1080p. However, if you put Lawrence up on a projector next to the Star Wars Blus, I think you could easily appreciate the difference in clarity and fine detail. Granted, Lawrence was shot on 70mm while Star Wars was shot on 35mm, but the point remains that the higher you scan, even after downscaling it you'll get a much finer picture (not to mention you've future proofed the scan for later releases in higher resolutions). Otherwise, why would film studios waste money scanning at anything higher than 1080p? If there was no visual difference, surely they would just do it at HD resolution and save themselves the trouble.