RUMOR: Warner Bros. to Unveil Seven Film Wave of DC Universe Movies at SDCC

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
RUMOR: Warner Bros. to Unveil Seven Film Wave of DC Universe Movies at SDCC

Tabloid titan claims to have blown the lid off Warner Bros. top-secret superhero mega-plans

Nikki Finke used to be the notorious queen of Hollywood industry gossip as the boss of Deadline.com, but was ousted from (most) of her power over the site in a 2013 power-struggle. Now she's returned with a highly-touted gossip site all her own, NikkiFinke.com, and in an sign of the times the first major story she's claiming isn't a celebrity divorce or high-profiling firing - it's Warner Bros. alleged three-year plan for launching a full-fledged DC Movie Universe.

Citing unnamed sources and using qualifiers like "remains in flux," (this is, after all, Nikki Finke), the report claims that Warner Bros. did not, as has been reported, delay the release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for script reasons, but instead to lock down contracts for actors wanted for several subsequent DC movies in order to start setting up continuity-establishing appearances in each other's movies. Finke further claims to know the current plans for the first three years of this universe, which looks like this:

May 2016 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
July 2016 - Shazam (aka Captain Marvel)
Xmas 2016 - Sandman (Neil Gaiman version)
May 2017 - Justice League
July 2017 - Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 - Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 - Man of Steel 2

If legitimate, this would mark the first official confirmation of Wonder Woman getting her own movie following her already known debut in Dawn of Justice, and the first mention period of Man of Steel having an actual sequel separate from the Batman team-up. The Flash/Lantern team-up is also new, and while Finke does not mention whether Flash will be the version from the upcoming TV series (and Arrow) she does insinuate that he will cameo in Dawn along with the already announced Cyborg. Surprising absolutely no one, Ryan Reynolds will not return to the role of Green Lantern.

The report's language would also appear to reveal the likely planned lineup of heroes for the first Justice League movie: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman. If so, that's notably the same as the controversial New 52 lineup.

Given the sourcing, it's possible that at least some or even all of this could be accurate - or none of it could. Warner Bros. is widely expected to have a huge DCU announcement planned for San Diego Comic-Con next month.

Source: NikkiFinke.com [http://nikkifinke.com/comic-con/]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Looks like the original MoS2 has transformed into BvS and then into a JL prequel movie. lol. Its good Superman gets his own movie sequel.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
I'm calling fake, this release schedule would require spending far too much money before knowing if people would even be interested in this shared universe. (my money's on the Batman v Superman film making less money than MoS which had enough bad word of mouth to stop any direct franchise growth)

Marvel at least kept it to a more sane schedule for phase 1 before ramping up to 2 films every year in phase 2 onwards.

phase 1 release schedule.

2008 - 2 films
2009 - 0
2010 - 1 film
2011 - 2 films
2012 - 1 film

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The order of those movies seems odd. You'd think they want to properly introduce the main members of the Justice League before throwing them together for the team-up movie, and I mean in a more substantial way than a cameo in the movies leading up to that team-up. It worked pretty well for the Avengers.

Maybe Warner Brothers is specifically not doing that to differentiate their shared universe from Marvel. In the case of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, their respective backgrounds and general traits are well known enough that you could feasibly throw them in without any previous introduction. But, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Cyborg? Not so much.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Okay, now this does feel like they're rushing it.

I can't see this being true, I mean a Wonder Woman movie a couple of months after JLA? And what, exactly is the end game here? At least with Marvel's Phases you can intone some kind of build-up and organisation, with the Avengers topping off each phase as some kind of climax.

This... this just looks like they've thrown everything at the wall to see what sticks. Doubly so if it's true that Shazam won't actually be part of the DCCU.

-------
CAPTCHA: "Knock on Wood" - that, I shall, captcha...

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Not sure how much stock I put into this due to the release schedule alone. That's a number of films in a short amount of time with literally nothing happening on the production front at the moment. While things could be going on behind the scenes with script work and so forth we'd hear rumblings that several of these films are gearing up for production soon.

However I do believe that DC is going to stray away from mostly solo outings for their lineup and instead use a team up method to better cement the idea that all of these characters exist in the same world. Marvel has often received a fair amount of flak for having major events happen in the solo films yet none of the other Avengers show up such as in Ironman 3 with the president being taken hostage and only Ironman and Warmachine show up to do something about it.

Bringing two or more characters together in a focused film gives these characters more chances to develop as well as play off each other. I believe that Batman v Superman is laying the groundwork for not only the Justice League film but for the crossover style majority of these films will take moving forward. Seeing someone like Green Lantern and Hawkgirl team up to take on an off world threat makes sense, having Batman and Superman work together to get to the bottom of a mystery makes sense, you get the idea.

Personally I think solo films will more than likely revolve around origin stories and deal with more personal struggles that make sense to only feature them. Batman won't always want to or need to work with someone else to take down people for example.

Not only that but this helps set DC's films apart from Marvel and helps them avoid that "Me too!" feel with how they intend to construct their connected cinematic universe. We know these films are coming, but I think the when is much further out than 2016 at this point. Warner Bros. wants to see how well Batman v Superman as well as Justice League does before they go all out on this.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Surprising absolutely no one, Ryan Reynolds will not return to the role of Green Lantern.
Hmm, so there is still a chance for Nathan Fillion to become Green Lantern? Unless they're going with a black GL so that Cyborg isn't the token black guy. I'm not sure about teaming him up with Flash though but I suppose they don't want to risk a solo Flash movie.

And Shazam? Really? He's like a discount Superman.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not a DC guy, but something that bothered me about The Flash - in a trailer for the TV series, we see him moving at super fast speed and catching someone that had been knocked into the air by a car, I think. Cool. Except, physics! Force being mass multiplied by acceleration, and Flash has his foot on the gas in order to knock people out of harm's way. Is it explained in the comics how it is that he he able to run faster than a speeding bullet in order to knock a person out of the path of the bullet? Because to do so, he has to be moving significantly faster than the bullet, with mass far exceeding that of the projectile, so shouldn't any impact that he have hit with force exceeding that of the bullet/missile/explosion whatever it is that he's knocking them out of the path of?

Power like his, and Superman, shatter my suspension of disbelief. They're always as fast, or as slow, as they need to be for the plot. The instances I've seen of them using/not using their super speed always struck me as contrived, so I have always been curious to see how they would film a guy like Flash that literally moves faster than the blink of an eye. I saw an episode of Justice Leave (Unlimited, I think) where he came upon a locked door, and simply vibrated so quickly that he phased right through it. I'm sorry, but how the hell are you supposed to have a villain that can stand up to that? If this does pan out, I'd like to see how he is filmed, and what contrivances, if any, they come up with to slow him down.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Surprising absolutely no one, Ryan Reynolds will not return to the role of Green Lantern.
Hmm, so there is still a chance for Nathan Fillion to become Green Lantern? Unless they're going with a black GL so that Cyborg isn't the token black guy. I'm not sure about teaming him up with Flash though but I suppose they don't want to risk a solo Flash movie.

I get the feeling people would prefer to see an anti-hero Black Adam movie before a Captain Marvel movie.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
CriticalMiss said:

I highly doubt we'll see a white Green Lantern. Marvel has been called out for having a white washed lineup and this would be another way DC could "one up" Marvel in that regard. Plus Jon Stewart is just a bad ass so there's that bonus too.

As for Captain Marvel there's actually a fair amount that can be done with the character considering he's just a kid and has the best secret identity ever. A good script can play with the idea of having him look up the other heroes in this world like Superman and then when he joins their ranks realizes that they might not be as perfect as he thought. Not to mention the whole concept of putting that kind of powers in the hands of a child and all the responsibilities and consequences that come with it. There's a fair amount to explore here and it goes well beyond just being a discount Superman.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I dunno. There's an old saying that 'the best laid plans go awry.'

Marvel has plans too, but they're willing to be flexible with them. DC just been relying on the old Nolan/Goyer Formula without Nolan.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Keji Goto said:
As for Captain Marvel there's actually a fair amount that can be done with the character considering he's just a kid and has the best secret identity ever. A good script can play with the idea of having him look up the other heroes in this world like Superman and then when he joins their ranks realizes that they might not be as perfect as he thought. Not to mention the whole concept of putting that kind of powers in the hands of a child and all the responsibilities and consequences that come with it. There's a fair amount to explore here and it goes well beyond just being a discount Superman.
Did you see Man of Steel? I think you're looking for a level of complexity and character development that we have no reason to expect is going to exist.

Apr 17, 2009
tdylan said:
I'm not a DC guy, but something that bothered me about The Flash - in a trailer for the TV series, we see him moving at super fast speed and catching someone that had been knocked into the air by a car, I think. Cool. Except, physics! Force being mass multiplied by acceleration, and Flash has his foot on the gas in order to knock people out of harm's way. Is it explained in the comics how it is that he he able to run faster than a speeding bullet in order to knock a person out of the path of the bullet? Because to do so, he has to be moving significantly faster than the bullet, with mass far exceeding that of the projectile, so shouldn't any impact that he have hit with force exceeding that of the bullet/missile/explosion whatever it is that he's knocking them out of the path of?
I think the comics would give you a technical explanation using the word 'molecules' about five times and trying to detail exactly what the Speed Force (no, I don't mean kinetic energy or anything like that, the Speed Force is an actual thing that exists in the DCU) is and does. Mind you, my experience of Flash comes from the Silver Age stuff my dad has so I'm probably not the best source of info.

Anyway, I call shenanigans on the list. Why list Sandman up there? I know his movie is technically in production but is it really going to be part of a DC Movie Universe? I know Morpheus does occasionally deal with DC superheroes but he's always been tangentially related to the rest of the DC stable at best. Mind you, I suppose he does pal around with John Constantine in the first volume, maybe they want to link it in with the TV show he's getting

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I would love this release schedule to be true since I prefer the idea of two character team up films to group films. Purely for the reason that I felt the Avengers relied on pre-established characters instead of developing them further. Ironman got some character development but that was about it and it was pretty simplistic. At the same time if this happens then it will be the biggest surprise since Warner Bros have been making these films a lot slower than Disney has with Marvel. I suppose the reason the newest film is taking so long could be because they are filming a bunch of movies at the same time. I wonder who they have to direct the others though, Zack Schneider can't do everything.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
As long as David Goyer doesn't write ALL the stories, this could be good. But after MoS... I am skeptical, but I cannot, in good conscience, miss the first time Batman and Superman will be on the same screen at the same time.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
tdylan said:
Keji Goto said:
Did you see Man of Steel? I think you're looking for a level of complexity and character development that we have no reason to expect is going to exist.
Saw it and actually like it. However I'm not in the camp that Superman has to be perfect and have this strong moral code right out the gate. I'm looking at this as giving reason for why he becomes the Superman most were expecting and prefer. It's pretty obvious that his character development is going to happen over the course of several films and throwing Batman into the mix with Dawn of Justice I think is going to be one way to really bring out the strong morals Superman is known for.

Does that mean Man of Steel was perfect? Of course not, the film had its problems just like any other film but I'm not going to let those short comings pull down what was over all a really great experience.

Besides not all of these films will have the same writers behind it nor will they have the same director unless Warner Bros is fine with only releasing a film every two years and continuing along at a snail's pace.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Why does everything from these WB plans scream, "quick write this down! grab a napkin and a pen!"

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Just concentrate on making 1 good film in your universe before planing ahead for several movies, geez.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Wait, they're making a Shazam/Captain Marvel stand-alone but he's not in the main JLA roster while at least 3 previously unseen "new" cinematic versions of secondary characters debut there? That makes no sense.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
No no this isn't gonna work...
You need to have a Batman movie in between each film to show off how much you could care less about Superman and the rest of the JL.
Cmon DC, THINK!