Rumor: Whedon Sics Mad Titan on The Avengers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Whedon Sics Mad Titan on The Avengers

Thanos is a member of the Eternal race, a more powerful offshoot of humanity created by the cosmic Celestials that also lives much longer. Thanos is obsessed with the female embodiment of Death, whom he's met, at one point in time hoping to wipe out every living thing in the universe in tribute. In this effort, he assembled the Infinity Gems onto the Infinity Gauntlet, each gem giving complete power over time, space, reality, mind, power, and soul respectively. Even with this great power, Thanos was defeated and the Infinity Gems were split up so they could be guarded.

The Infinity Gauntlet's double appearances hint that the rumor could be true, though it doesn't necessarily mean that Thanos will wield it. Previous rumors said that Loki and the shape-shifting Skrulls would take roles as antagonists in Whedon's film.

Thanos would be an amazing villain, especially if he's collecting the Infinity Gems, though it would seem to change the scope of the movie from a superhero film to a cosmic space fantasy of sorts, something that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige recently mentioned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109414-Thor-Captain-America-Sequels-Part-of-Marvel-Film-Explosion] upcoming films would cover. The Avengers will be released on May 4, 2012.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-there-is-another-big-time-villain-in-marvel-s-the-avengers-13718]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thanos and the gauntlet go hand-in-hand, really. As least, via a mental link. I can't think of one without the other.

This would not surprise me at all.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Thanos is a member of the Eternal race, a more powerful offshoot of humanity created by the cosmic Celestials that also lives much longer. Thanos is obsessed with the female embodiment of Death, whom he's met, at one point in time hoping to wipe out every living thing in the universe in tribute. In this effort, he assembled the Infinity Gems onto the Infinity Gauntlet, each gem giving complete power over time, space, reality, mind, power, and soul respectively. Even with this great power, Thanos was defeated and the Infinity Gems were split up so they could be guarded."

... Obviously.

Looking forward to this film, but I hope it doesn't get too busy, or else you have everything in there and manage to show - and I believe this is the technical term - fuck all.

laryri

May 19, 2008
Maybe they could tease him, but Thanos has a lot of backstory they would need to cover and it might be crowded if they have
Loki and the Cosmic Cube as hinted at in Thor as well.

I think it would be interesting if they gave Thanos his own movie where he was the protagonist hunting down the Infinity Gems, then bring him in as the villain in an Avengers sequel.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've only seen Thor once and while I remember seeing the Cosmic Cube and, Eye of Agamotto, I don't remember seeing the Gauntlet! I need to watch the film again but still...

The Avengers isn't going to be a single film. While the first will likely center around Loki, the other two (or more) could turn the focus onto Thanos. It would be cool to see movies based on the war between Skrull and Kree, movies based on the Civil War and, eventually Marvel Zombies.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They should really save Thanos for a later installment imo. He's way too powerful and requires a much larger scope than a lot of other villains.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Am I the only one flashing back to Marvel Superheroes, by Capcom?

I just hope Thanos looks properly like he should. After seeing hows Smallville treated Darkseid, there needs to be one almighty villain that is still awesome.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, that would be awesome. Thanos actually started out as a really really lame avengers villain. But with some clever writing, he turned into a cosmic badass. Now he is among my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe. Infinity Gauntlet first, followed by his roll and subsequent death at the hands of his son during Annihilation. There was actually a pretty steady stream of one time Thanos books bridging all major events Thanos was a part of. You can't keep a mad Titan down.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
laryri said:
Maybe they could tease him, but Thanos has a lot of backstory they would need to cover and it might be crowded if they have
Loki and the Cosmic Cube as hinted at in Thor as well.

I think it would be interesting if they gave Thanos his own movie where he was the protagonist hunting down the Infinity Gems, then bring him in as the villain in an Avengers sequel.
My theory on the movie is that the "rumor" about the skrulls could be confusion (Thanos and the skrull both share that weird ribbed-chin) and that Loki and Thanos (maybe in cahoots, maybe against each other) would try and get the Cosmic Cube and in the end, they would tease at the Infinity Gauntlet. After all, having both the cube and the gauntlet would be too much (it would be like if LoTR had two rings that needed to be destroyed) and Thanos seems like a villain that could make a brief appearance and hint at a second Avengers movie that would be about the Gauntlet (the cube seems more likely right now).

EDIT: I just remembered that the skrulls were the creators of the first Cosmic Cube, so they (along with Loki) seem like the probable villains, while Thanos could make a brief appearance to tease for the next movie which would be about the Gauntlet.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Tbh, I just think the Avengers is looking to be very fucking good whatever; I've liked all the films building up to it so far except for the Hulk, which I'm yet to see. I think I'll watch it tonight, seeing that I do have it. :p Anyways; looking forward to
Loki and the Cosmic Cube!
as well. I reckon that while it's an excellent idea and will be done soon, Thanos probably won't appear just yet. Maybe next time, seeing as there are already Thor and Cap sequels announced; plenty of room for an Avengers sequel. :D

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ummm, no, just no.

As someone who has actually READ that story arc, that's not the kind of thing you pull on a developing universe/continuity. Not if your going to do it justice.

See, Thanos was NOT defeated, he defeated himself. The whole issue was that deep down inside he really didn't want to win, and basically wound up defeating himself.

It's the kind of thing that only really works in a well established continuity when you have well established characters, and a lot of it relied on the relationship between Thanos and Adam Warlock...

If they used him in an Avengers movie, they would have to contrive it for the heroes to win, which would kind of miss the point of what the entire story was about, and if your going to do that, why use The Infinity Gauntlet?

As it was, while a lot of what were then newbie fans lionized the whole "Infinity Gauntlet" thing, overall it was just okay. I'm one of those who felt it was kind of a retread of the whole "Secret Wars" schtick where Doctor Doom usurps the power of Galactus and then in a contest of will does what Galactus couldn't have done and manages to steal the power of The Beyonder, but ultimatly proves himself unable to control his own power. He kills all of the heroes, but winds up being tricked by a figment of The Beyonder's will into doubting his own success. As he's having trouble with accidently turning things he thinks about into reality to begin with, he brings the scenario described into reality in his mind and winds up resurrecting all of the heroes who confront him while he struggles to contain his own power and winds up relinquishing it back to The Beyonder.... pretty much one of the first big company wide crossovers that involved a villain who defeats himself, and arguably the prototype for the trend that lead to "The Infinity Gauntlet" and which made it a cool showdown, but ultimatly kind of predictable to the jaded.... I was younger then, but had read "Secret Wars" so was kind of expecting it myself and knew what a lot of people were talking about. :)

All of this high-nerdism aside, but introducing a concept like this is something you'd do for like the fifth or sixth movie as a team, not something I'd expect to work for the first Avengers movie, or even a cliff hanger leading into the sequel. It's one thing to have a bit of nerd-bait in Odin's vault, another to basically suggest they are going to have Thanos walking around with the gauntlet.

Though admittedly they could spin it out through a lot of Marvel movies since it could be argued the Gauntlet didn't have the gems in it, so if they did a bunch of movies they could have Thanos get a gem at the end of some of them, leading into a crossover with enough character development potentially... but even that's pushing it because you kind of need to get into the head of Thanos and Warlock for the whole thing to really "click".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Thanos seems more of a sequal villian though. I mean, when is the Avengers movie taking place among their time? hard to imagine they all just form, and bam, Thanos.
I am not against Thanos as a villian...just not the boss of the first dungeon...so to speak.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I think Thanos and the gems would be fine for the sequel. The first movie should be mostly about the team coming together IMO.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I think putting Thanos in the avengers movie would 'blow the load' as it were. Who do you make as an even bigger threat in a potential sequel? The Beyonder?
oh wait...

Russano_Greenstripe

Apr 10, 2011
I called it!

Though I get the feeling that Loki is going to be more important than Thanos will be in the Avengers movie; he was the big bad of Avengers #1 (the comic), for starters. Perhaps Loki in his newfound villany plots to bring Thanos to Earth, and the Avengers have to assemble in order to take him down.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
There seems to be a lot of rumours and confusionabout what's actually happening in the Avengers. Loki? Skrulls? Thanos?

I could see Thanos working as an after the credits thing. But as someone already said have the infinity gauntlet and the Cosmic cube is overkill. I think Skrulls being manipulated by Loki gives a nice mook army for the Avengers to demolish.
Shoggoth2588 said:
It would be cool to see movies based on the war between Skrull and Kree, movies based on the Civil War and, eventually Marvel Zombies.
Kree-Skrull war would be epic and could give us Ms Marvel. But the problem with Civil War is you need way more superheroes like hundreds to thousands, at the moment there's not enough. As much as I enjoyed marvel zombies, if they made that it would be a sign of marvel jumping the shark.

Captcha:
"Water quest", now I want to play Fallout 1 again.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
While I have been picturing this kind of plot for a while now, it would most certainly mean they'd have to change some things in the canon. At least one of the gems for the gauntlet is used by a character who hasn't even been mentioned so far in the movies.