Rumor: World of Warcraft To Add Microtransactions

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Rumor: World of Warcraft To Add Microtransactions

WoW[/I]'s economy. This could be the beginning of a larger system of convenience items for players with more cash than gold, or it could open the door for a new player economy similar to Diablo III's real-money auction house. Blizzard has sold pets and special mounts for real money in the past, so nothing's out of the question. Of course, this is mined data that hasn't been confirmed by Blizzard, so it could easily be a red herring or temporary placeholder. Capitalists of Azeroth, keep an eye out.

Update: According to Zarhym [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9377319765?page=9#177], a community manager on the WoW forums, this is certainly something on Blizzard's to-do list. "We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game," Zarhym says. "We'll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses."

Source: WoW Insider [http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/07/03/patch-5-4-datamine-100-xp-buff-via-microtransaction/]

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Eh, because they're not making enough money as it is?

Then again, games are about doing whatever makes the customer happy. If they're happier paying money to get to a higher level faster, good for them I guess.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
This is moderately amusing, coming a few days after Mark Kern's little "WoW has KILLED MMOs!" thing.

I don't know if I care, leveling is already trivial and very fast, just a timesink for getting to max level content. I very much doubt being able to do it even faster for real money will realistically have any impact on the game.

It is a slightly worrisome trend. Personally I very much prefer the subscription model over the micro-transaction model in MMOs because I know that I always have access to ALL of the content with a reliable budget. Plus, micro-transactions can very easily be abused into pay-to-win models.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/7540/Mark-Kern-Have-MMOs-Become-Too-Easy.html

i thought this is pretty relevant to this thread it basically talks about how hardcore players are losing interest in wow and other mmo's that copy their formula because they are gutting the game in the interest of streamlining the build up to end game content

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
This worries me. I pay the $15 a month so that I don't have to suffer through all the other pay to win MMOs out there. Experience gained won't make you stronger than someone else but this is how it starts. What's to stop them from putting full sets of LFR quality gear for money?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So you have a game built around a tedious grind that encourages people to keep playing longer and rake in money from the subscription fees, and they're planning to give people the option of paying extra to reduce said grind.

As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
It's PTR data mining right? It's a non-issue until something official comes out of it. More outlandish things have been mined in the past only to come to nothing or be implemented later drastically changed.

That said, if WoW dropped the sub cost and all current content was F2p (ala GW2) It might be the kick up the arse required to get the community expanding again which they probably want now that Titan has been significantly delayed past their original projections.

Or it could be Activision seeing that tasty tasty micro transaction money and trying to strongarm Blizzard into implementing it.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
So you have a game built around a tedious grind that encourages people to keep playing longer and rake in money from the subscription fees, and they're planning to give people the option of paying extra to reduce said grind.

That's the thing. Leveling in WoW is actually really fast compared to most MMOs. If you know what you're doing you can easily hit max level in a few days. It's not even that tedious if you are reading quest text and following the storylines of the zones you're in (granted takes a bit longer, but I don't get the rush really). And the scenery changes massively every few hours each zone being pretty unique. Honestly questing is some of the best fun I've had in the game.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Kalezian said:
Terramax said:

Then again, games are about doing whatever makes the customer happy. If they're happier paying money to get to a higher level faster, good for them I guess.

and then the soul crushing heroic's grind become evident, and people start wishing they didn't buzz straight through Goldshire.

Hopefully Blizzard doesn't get a huge backlash because of a item store, sure there will be the people that cry "PAY TO WIN" and the like, but Blizzard makes money by people playing their game, this just adds in another way for them to keep getting paid.
I used to have that kind of mentality, but then I realise 'you know what? Why should it matter to me if someone paid money to get to my level faster?'

The focus should always be on what makes you happy. Sure, that's not Blizzards intention. They're just interested in more money, of course. But I don't have anything against microtransactions so long as they're not mandatory in order to complete the game.

Furthermore, why are people offended that people are avoiding the grinding? Forgive me if I'm ignorant here, but am I right in saying grinding isn't the reason why people play such games? Perhaps, some prefer to play for things such as the social element, or to enjoy the presention?

I would rather pay a subscription, and some microtransations, and get all my fun out of a game in 3 months, then unsubscribe with my expectations fulfilled, rather than pay a subscription for 6+ months, only enjoy the game half as much, due to the repetitive, obtrusive grinding, and unsubscribe out of boredom. Perhaps I'm in the minority there.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:

Except at this point, leveling is nothing but one big tutorial so you aren't left staring at a few dozen spells with no idea what they do, the gameplay most people are paying for is at the level cap.

I'd love it if they implemented this, levels 58-80 just drag on forever and the rest get pretty bad after doing them a few times too.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I have never played WoW so I don't feel qualified to defend it in any case. I HAVE played some really broken MMOs, all of which featured microtransactions.

And anyone that says "I really don't care that all these people got to max level in a fraction of the time I did hasn't had the pleasure of playing PWI in the last few years.

They have hyper XP stones that can give you up to 12x regular xp, and they regularly have (like right now) long periods of time where there is a universal 2x xp/drops event. Which stacks with the hyper stones, but doesn't give 24x xp, I forget what weird multiplier it caps at.

And there just so happens to be an instance, with one room, that has a ton of easy mobs in it that you can pull all at once and kill for mass xp. Did I mention that hyper stones can be turned on and off at will? There are limits, but essentially you have a steady stream of noobs or alts that pay coin to have a high level clear the instance, drag them to the big room, they pop hypers for a few seconds and shut them off. Repeat.

So basically there are literally hundreds of noobs that can skip from level 1 to 100 in a day or two, that have no idea how to do anything at all in game. They don't know where anything is, what their skills do, or what any of the jargon is, and sometimes get people killed. I mean it doesn't take all that long to get up to speed in that game really, but lack of experience when its representative of such a large portion of the playerbase as contrasted by people that spent months or years just getting to 100...the groups don't exactly respect each other. To put it mildly.

Then of course there are the cheaters that exploited a boss a.i. in that same instance which made it spawn like a bajillion adds at once instead of 2 or 3 and got to level 105. The game originally was planned to cap at like 150, but they stopped at 105 and made the xp required after 100 to reflect it as though it were still 150. So, it literally takes billions of xp to get from 104 to 105 while its takes only a few million to get from 99 to 100. They had to patch it, as it was so widely known. Being posted on the forums pretty much daily.

Those people got banned for like 5 days, got to keep their levels, and all the perks of being higher level than everyone else will ever see without exploiting similar avenues. This means that they get to have lv 105 req buff items that give them MASSIVE stat boosts for pvp, that if they are an Assassin essentially no one will be able to attack them or see them at all while they are stealthed, and so they roflstomp 99% of the servers.

Now imagine that in WoW, though I'm sure no where near as idiotic in its application, and realize that unlike PWI you are already paying a fee every month to play said game. A game that has not aged well, and whose continued relevance owes in part to it being the last pay to play game out there. Its perceived that just because people are required to pay that it somehow magically makes the assholes go away so you can game obsessively in peace with no blatant P2W cash grabs or ads harassing you.

XBL makes you pay to play too, and how well did that keep the assholes away? Did it stop them from showing you ad after ad? Just because you have to pay for something, doesn't mean you get any say in how that service does business. Aside from not paying for it.

So WoW *may* start having microtransactions, thereby invalidating its image of being the last, honest MMO or whatever branding their players have been giving it to justify the expense. Expect, if implemented, a definite shift one way or the other in the server population.

I doubt very much that it will bring in a flood of new customers, or that they will stop at xp boosters.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Are they going to sell hats too?
No, they are going to sell special chests that can only be unlocked by purchasing a special scroll that will open it. The chests will contain items that give you special buffs and some give you unique boosts. XD

OT: Well, if this is true then it's gonna really piss off one of my friends that's for sure. He's an avid WoW player and having to deal with this may break his little heart. Although this also may get him to not be addicted to WoW anymore...

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Terramax said:

Kalezian said:
and then the soul crushing heroic's grind become evident, and people start wishing they didn't buzz straight through Goldshire.

Hopefully Blizzard doesn't get a huge backlash because of a item store, sure there will be the people that cry "PAY TO WIN" and the like, but Blizzard makes money by people playing their game, this just adds in another way for them to keep getting paid.
Terramax said:
I used to have that kind of mentality, but then I realise 'you know what? Why should it matter to me if someone paid money to get to my level faster?'

The focus should always be on what makes you happy. Sure, that's not Blizzards intention. They're just interested in more money, of course. But I don't have anything against microtransactions so long as they're not mandatory in order to complete the game.

Furthermore, why are people offended that people are avoiding the grinding? Forgive me if I'm ignorant here, but am I right in saying grinding isn't the reason why people play such games? Perhaps, some prefer to play for things such as the social element, or to enjoy the presention?

I would rather pay a subscription, and some microtransations, and get all my fun out of a game in 3 months, then unsubscribe with my expectations fulfilled, rather than pay a subscription for 6+ months, only enjoy the game half as much, due to the repetitive, obtrusive grinding, and unsubscribe out of boredom. Perhaps I'm in the minority there.
DVS BSTrD said:
I know the choice is up to the customer how they play the game. But the thing is, cutting down on grinding takes away from the presentation. Even though this micro transaction adds to the cost, it cheapens the experience.

Cpatcha: skynet watches
>.>
<.<
*sigh* I miss transcribing illegible texts
I know GW2 has the same items and in-game shops so it's not like this is a terrible new thing. GW2 is a pretty decent game and this doesn't break it, but it doesn't have a sub cost so I'm not going to go further with that.

WoW is an interesting beast in this case because it's so old. The original reason that WoW cut the experience needed to level wasn't even for casual players. It was because raiders needed alts to fill empty spaces in the guild rosters. If the raid needed a disc priest but there weren't any good max priests to choose from they'd just make their own, but it took forever and the long grind to max which was first lauded by these players was suddenly criticized for being too long/boring because of the "been there/done that" mentality. I see this as a natural progression, as to fix that they added lvling gear you only get at max, but that still requires a lot of grind to earn so here's an option for those with less time.

The Majority of WoW subs have leveled multiple toons, and this would just give them another way to play dungeons/raids without heavily grinding through a zone for the 9th time. Yeah it could 'ruin' someone's experience, or be 'Pay2Win', but it fits pretty well in context. Besides, the people that spend $1 to power-level a toon or two are the same type of people that pay to transfer 3 characters to another server at $25 each. They aren't complaining.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Wait... 100% exp boost? Does that.... HOLY SHIT! That means leveling IS a grind afterall!

To be honest I'm not really surprised at these, but they already had transactions for in game stuff, just not that evident to people who didn't play it. Buying mounts and pets has been there for a really long time, they're now just making evident that.

But really, WoW has a pretty short leveling time compared to what it was before, I would come back if this "buy boosts" didn't meant that there will be more short attention span people in the game. I experienced too many "hey ima grind a character to be a DK and tank, who needz teh gearz *dies after taunt*"

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

Except at this point, leveling is nothing but one big tutorial so you aren't left staring at a few dozen spells with no idea what they do, the gameplay most people are paying for is at the level cap.

I'd love it if they implemented this, levels 58-80 just drag on forever and the rest get pretty bad after doing them a few times too.
That's basically my point. Leveling in WoW is now just an arbitrary grind between you and the game everyone else is playing. You shouldn't have to pay them to get to that end of content. I liked the Guild Wars 1 model, where you could create characters at max level who had some of the abilities but not all. You had incentive to play through the whole leveling game, but you weren't barred from the fun until you did.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
It's more likely that they'll be adapting a FTP model in the east, where most of their business is (And where they're struggling the most, specifically to other FTP games). They've done similar weird things o'er there all the time (The altercation of raid lockout duration, and the fact that you subscribe on an hourly basis rather than monthly).

Depending on their success, they might consider a similar model in the west.