Rumor: Xbox 360 Finally Opening Up to Steamworks

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Knaledge said:
Just throwing this out there: that has been there forever and is likely related to the old versions of Counterstrike and Half-Life 2 on the Xbox. As in... the original Xbox. There was online play in CS Xbox.
Yeah I don't know how long its been there, but when I first saw it I thought it would have just been for the Xbox versions of valves games. I really think this is a case of some stupid random hype for something that probably isn't going to happen in a very long time if ever, microsoft are massive tight arses, it aint happening, just some idiot noticed something that was always there for the first time and thinking its something new.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
josemlopes said:
That Xbox support may be there only for the question "Does the Xbox have steamworks?" and the answer of "No."
That, and maybe the Orange Box on 360? Probably...

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
As soon as the new Counter Strike said it would have cross platform with the 360 included I instantly figured it would be coming.

Here's hoping, I like the mentality of knocking down the walls and bringing as many people to play good games as possible regardless of platform.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've gotta say, I'm not that excited about this. Partly cuz Sony really needed that hold over M$, and partly cuz of my own personal prejudices that 360 players are more annoying than other.
Scott Bullock said:
Still, until one of the companies makes a formal announcement, the matter is merely speculation. If only there was some sort of immense gathering of industry giants and throngs of gamers coming up in six or so days, perhaps in a major Japanese city, at which to make such an announcement. Wouldn't that be great?
I highly doubt that 2 American companies would make such an announcement at TGS.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Maybe the xbox support is there for the GFWL stuff. They did just lump everything in together, and to reach the suppost forums for GFWL, you have to go to the xbox ones.

Just a guess.

But this would be pretty awesome if it was true.
redisforever said:
josemlopes said:
That Xbox support may be there only for the question "Does the Xbox have steamworks?" and the answer of "No."
That, and maybe the Orange Box on 360? Probably...

Dont forget l4d1 and 2

Srsly, that xbox support buttons been there for a while though, I remember asking them a question on the price of crash course way back

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
DragonLord Seth said:
I always thought that was support for the XBox versions of their games.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Besides, where else would you go for support for Valve games for the 360?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
draythefingerless said:
Snip for size
A: Did not imply piracy DOESNT occur on the 360, Its that piracy on the 360 is a drop in the ocean compared to the level of piracy on PC. That said if your willing to mod your 360 to allow you to pirate 360 games, is it really that much more to work around the software ends in Steamworks?

Burst6 said:
I think the point is that steam on xbox 360 lets them play with ps3 and PC players online
To both counters, my point still stands. What advantage is there to Microsoft to do this? There is essentially no reason for Microsoft to wish to do this. Sure you can point to multiplatform multiplayer if you want but that only really benefits the players (and not really, different platforms, different cultures, More server concerns, more problems caused than solved) and MAYBE Valve, but there is no financial gain for Microsoft to be had in this extended multiplatform multiplayer capacity. With no benefit to microsoft, why would they do something that would hurt themselves?

I know its nice to think companies want what is going to maximize your enjoyment from what you buy but make no mistake these corporations are not your friend. They dont care about your level of enjoyment, or how easy/quick it is for you to get an online match. Hell once you have paid for the game, and do the same with any/all respective DLC, your online play is absolutely nothing but a liability for them, and really they would rather not have you play and only tolerate your play because without it, its less likely you will buy the sequel/more DLC. Microsoft is just an example of a company that is not anywhere near as afraid to let the light be shined on this fact of their nature as other companies try to use every illusion in the book to hide.

So my question still has to stand, what possible benefit would there be TO MICROSOFT that would encourage them to participate in this. If you cant answer that question, then theres really little point to look at it any further because unless there IS a benefit to Microsoft, Microsoft has no reason to get on board with this. Still sounds like Valve hitting a customer base plateau, trying to extend their reach even further and wishful thinking to me.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
viranimus said:
draythefingerless said:
Snip for size
A: Did not imply piracy DOESNT occur on the 360, Its that piracy on the 360 is a drop in the ocean compared to the level of piracy on PC. That said if your willing to mod your 360 to allow you to pirate 360 games, is it really that much more to work around the software ends in Steamworks?

Burst6 said:
I think the point is that steam on xbox 360 lets them play with ps3 and PC players online
To both counters, my point still stands. What advantage is there to Microsoft to do this? There is essentially no reason for Microsoft to wish to do this. Sure you can point to multiplatform multiplayer if you want but that only really benefits the players (and not really, different platforms, different cultures, More server concerns, more problems caused than solved) and MAYBE Valve, but there is no financial gain for Microsoft to be had in this extended multiplatform multiplayer capacity. With no benefit to microsoft, why would they do something that would hurt themselves?

I know its nice to think companies want what is going to maximize your enjoyment from what you buy but make no mistake these corporations are not your friend. They dont care about your level of enjoyment, or how easy/quick it is for you to get an online match. Hell once you have paid for the game, and do the same with any/all respective DLC, your online play is absolutely nothing but a liability for them, and really they would rather not have you play and only tolerate your play because without it, its less likely you will buy the sequel/more DLC. Microsoft is just an example of a company that is not anywhere near as afraid to let the light be shined on this fact of their nature as other companies try to use every illusion in the book to hide.

So my question still has to stand, what possible benefit would there be TO MICROSOFT that would encourage them to participate in this. If you cant answer that question, then theres really little point to look at it any further because unless there IS a benefit to Microsoft, Microsoft has no reason to get on board with this. Still sounds like Valve hitting a customer base plateau, trying to extend their reach even further and wishful thinking to me.
might i remind you the severely hindered image Microsoft has due to XBLA and its strict, developer and customer unfriendly policies? Do you realize the only reason devs put up with that piece of shit console is because it sells well? and thats only AAA games. Indie devs, and apart from the big boys, most devs dont want to do business with Microsoft. and guess what? thats gonna injure them in teh future. Look at the flock of people that fly off to Steam to sell their games from XBLA. PSN learned this, and its finally opening itself to more devs and more games. Microsoft, knowing verily well well be soon close to the end of this console gen, is more than likely to improve their image, if for anything, so that it can attract people to it and game developers to it. People forget this, but when new consoles hit the market, its basically a reset button for devs. Consoles come, and they start asking the devs to put their games in it. This why the PS3 launched poorly, it launched too late and the devs had to put their games in the 360 ahead. So microsoft knows very well it can lose a lot of company exclusives if they dont improve their relationship with developers. Extending hands to companies like Valve is a good start, plus the added bonus of finding a way to shed the corporate image(wich you may not agree, but in the end, really does injure sales and likeability to buy sth from them) and start looking a bit better to everyone else.

You behave like an asshole, sooner or later,its gonna come bite you back. Opening up to Steamworks is an easy way to allow for cross platform contracts, with none of the work since Valve will do the job for them.

This is without mentioning how attractive being cross platform is.

So should i buy the new Playstation, wich actually lets me own games on PC and PS thru Steam, thus increasing my online community and services available to me, or buy the new xbox, made by those assholes at MS, who rape devs and have no perks?

Its all about image.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
You people joined steam yesterday? Those boards were there for ages, they're for support of Valve 360 games, like Orange Box and L4D.