Rumor: Xbox Live Friends List Cap to Increase Tenfold

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Xbox Live Friends List Cap to Increase Tenfold

Though it won't be happening in the next dashboard update, the Xbox Live friends list cap may someday increase by a significant amount.

For popular Xbox Live users, the cap of 100 imposed on the service's friends list is pretty low, especially in this brave new world where anybody that can shoot straight is a worthy friend. A post recently made by Xbox Germany's Facebook account, which has since been removed, may indicate that the cap will be multiplied by a factor of ten, though a response from Microsoft has shot down the possibility in the next dashboard update.

The Facebook post translates to: "A lot of long-term change was desired by Xbox LIVE users the limit of 100 friends. With the update you can now up to 1,000 friends of your friends list." Despite the rough Google translation, there's no mistaking what the post was referring to.

At first, many thought this meant the upcoming Xbox Live dashboard update of 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/2101-Preview-Xbox-Dashboard-Update-2010] would increase the cap. However, Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb responded to the rumor, tweeting: "Let me straighten things out: We will not be expanding the friends list as a part of the next Xbox Live update." Oh well.

Hyrb followed the tweet with: "However, we're always listening to member feedback and looking at new ways to enhance the service. Thanks ;)." Hyrb notably didn't shoot down the possibility of a friends list cap increase in a later update, so it could be something that Microsoft is working on and Xbox Germany accidentally jumped the gun. That winky simle of Hyrb's is a good indicator in my book, as winky smiles are always a secret confirmation of rumor.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/14/xbox-live-friend-limit-to-increase-to-1000/]

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
It would make sense for them to lift the limit, seeing as the reason why it was 100 in the first place was something to do with it being entangled in Halo 2's multiplayer, though now that's gone, there's nothing really in the way anymore.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
ABOUT TIME!! 100 friends was far too few. i hated having to figure out who was the least active on my list to remove just to add someone else.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I personally can't fathom why anyone would need more than 100 friends, but if Microsoft wants to raise the cap then more power to them.

Jul 22, 2009
I like this, but only if they bring in 'friend sorting' so I can sort the boosters from my school friends from randoms who like a game every now and then.

Gray Monk

Sep 25, 2010
Awesome, now I'll have more people to get messages from that I don't care about. :)
But seriously that is pretty cool but they could of done it a lot earlier.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Now I can add everyone I want to add from the Escapist!

When I get back on. Since I broke the wireless thingy while cleaning my room.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Another benefit of dumping Xbox Live support for Xbox titles?

Although how people even fill the 100 friend limit is beyond me. I guess it has to do with that silly mentality that you need as many "friends" on anything that has a friends list as possible, even if some of them are complete strangers that you never interact with ever.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Although how people even fill the 100 friend limit is beyond me. I guess it has to do with that silly mentality that you need as many "friends" on anything that has a friends list as possible...
No custom game browser on Halo means you need a buddy list to find fun games.

100 is too low, but for gods sake bring out a grouping system/clan support with it.

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
I've severely limited myself to add personal friends, strangers who have 1/2 of my gamerscore, and select gamers who own games that most people don't play anymore.

If anyone is interested in scorewhoring with me, send a PM >.>

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
uppitycracker said:
ABOUT TIME!! 100 friends was far too few. i hated having to figure out who was the least active on my list to remove just to add someone else.
I've had the same problem in the past. I'll have to start removing active players soon because they don't play enough Left 4 Dead, and that makes me sad. I hope this update comes soon.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well on one hand, the initial 100 was pathetic because there were many amicable people who would try to rally together groups of decent people. If Person A has 100 friends, one of which could be Person B who simply didn't have 100 friends on XBL, but could in turn meet more of the potential person A friends. It's about community and flexibility. Not everyone plays a multiplayer game exactly at the same time, so the more generally nice people to join up with, the less often one has to rely on rude and obnoxious random twats. Of course, there is always the argument that finding over 100 people on Xbox Live that you connect with beyond inane messages or game invites for Halo, again, even though you never play it, is a rather difficult feat. When I had Live, I really only stuck with certain friends while the rest were awkwardly informal associates more than anything else.

Given the ten dollar price increase per year, I think many Gold subscribers would appreciate at least one new feature that was (1) Not completely useless like Twitter and (2) Would in a sense expand their service. But who knows, maybe you can have 1000 Xbox Facebook friends instead to message you random updates about that "wicked party!" across the country.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Doesn't really matter to me but I'm sure other people will be happy about this. I don't see why you would need more than 100 anonymous buddies though.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
http://drippler.com/microsoft_xbox_360/xbox-live%E2%80%99s-friends-list-will-stay-at-100/?utm_source=wordtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

empirically disproved, i believe

but it could happen later... much later....