Rumor: Zack Snyder's Next Movies Have Some Big Problems

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Zack Snyder's Next Movies Have Some Big Problems

Superman's script is apparently a mess, and Sucker Punch is reportedly a "disaster." If rumors are true, Zack Snyder's movies are in trouble.

The rumor mill is working overtime in Hollywood today, and the current topic is Zack Snyder. Following Vulture's news that Guy Ritchie has been asked to direct Xerxes, the sequel to 300, people are wondering why Mr. Snyder isn't working on the film. Current theories claim that studio executives don't want Snyder to take on any new projects because his next two movies are experiencing some huge problems.

First up is the new Superman movie that Snyder is working on. According to New York Magazine, the movie has folks at Warner Bros. extremely nervous because of problems with the script and an increasingly-scary deadline:

Warner Bros. needs Snyder to bear down on Superman stat: Insiders say the closely-guarded script for Superman [written by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan] suffers from major third-act problems, and the studio faces a ticking clock on that franchise, legally speaking; if a Superman film isn't in production by 2013, Warner Bros. loses the rights to the entire Superman franchise and would have to re-license it from its original creators - the estates of Detective Comics writers Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster - at great if not prohibitive expense.

This isn't the first time that rumors of problems with the Superman script have surfaced. io9 reports that Darren Aronofsky wasn't given the project because Warner Bros. was afraid he'd spend too much time trying to fix the screenplay and miss the aforementioned deadline.

However, the soon-to-be-released Sucker Punch sounds like it's got some more immediate problems. Warner Bros. recently conducted a test screening of the film and the consensus was that the movie is "a CG disaster."

According to one studio insider who spoke to New York Magazine, "It was bad; like, really bad. They're [WB] really not happy with it over there."

Personally, I'm not sure I believe reports about the Superman script being as problematic as people are making it out to be, simply because of Nolan and Goyer's prior track record. That said, I have a much easier time believing Sucker Punch isn't very good; while the movie certainly looks like it contains some gorgeous action sets, I still don't understand the actual plot, despite all the Web videos that have been released over the past few months.

Also, it should be noted that neither <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/movie/watchmen>Watchmen nor <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/movie/legend-of-the-guardians-the-owls-of-gahoole>Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole were stunning critical or commercial successes. From the sound of things, it doesn't seem like Snyder's films will be much better in the near future.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/#!5761801/is-zack-snyders-superman-in-trouble>io9

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I don't believe Sucker Punch will be good, despite me wanting it to be. I also am 50/50 split on whether or not they'll fuck up Superman [again].

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Sucker Punch always seemed kinda... stupid to me. And this is coming from a guy who's favourite movies are Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky and Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I still don't understand the actual plot
Women are taken to a mental institute and abused (likely prostituted) making their lives hell. In order to escape they travel into their minds to over obstacles and demons to find a way out of their prison. Now, how this will all work out remains a mystery, but seemed like interesting concept that would allow for scenes that turned heads with trailers.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
it is superman, the scripts are usually a mess. I want to see a movie with bizarro at some point. NO MORE LUTHER!!!
or better yet, make it a crossover, you got green lantern coming out, do like Marvel is doing and get a bunch of DC heroes in one movie.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I am pretty sure the Superman rumor is nothing more than a rumor. The 2013 production start deadline gives them A LOT of time to work on the script. If the third act is the only part needing adjustments, they should be fine. Chris Nolan has this covered!

As for Snyder´s other project...i´m optimistic. The trailer looks good, the concept is cool and i usually like to take these "advance screening spy reports" with a grain of salt. It could fail miserably, but at least Snyder is taking risks, boldly mixing different sub-genres.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eri said:
I don't believe Sucker Punch will be good, despite me wanting it to be. I also am 50/50 split on whether or not they'll fuck up Superman [again].
50-50 is pretty good odds for Superman. I'm almost counting on it to be screwed up.

Sucker Punch got my attention, but I have no idea if it'll be good.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I like Snyder's movies. 300 was good and Watchmen, for every gut-punch it gave Alan Moore, was really good. I hope they get that stuff worked out.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
marcogodinho said:
I am pretty sure the Superman rumor is nothing more than a rumor. The 2013 production start deadline gives them A LOT of time to work on the script. If the third act is the only part needing adjustments, they should be fine. Chris Nolan has this covered!

As for Snyder´s other project...i´m optimistic. The trailer looks good, the concept is cool and i usually like to take these "advance screening spy reports" with a grain of salt. It could fail miserably, but at least Snyder is taking risks, boldly mixing different sub-genres.
Agreed. Snyder has a pretty good track record (I loved Watchmen, I'm a huge fan of the Dawn of the Dead remake as well as the original, and 300 was stupid fun at the time) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, if Nolan and his writing partner are having issues with the script for Superman (I doubt it, but let's roll with it), how is it Snyder's problem.

Besides, it's still in the early stages of production, any potential problems can be dealt with easily.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I couldn't care less about Superman, but I'm very dissapointed to hear about Sucker Punch. I'm pretty excited for it, and this is worrying me :(

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I suspect that when they say that the third act of the Superman won't be "good", they mean it won't be safe or easily marketable. That is, it might be too challenging for regular audiences. As in; it might not be good for the people financing the movie.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
From what I've seen of Suckerpunch, mostly just trailers, it does look a bit confusing.
The trailers highlighted gorgeous action scenes and set pieces though. Have the trailers been doctored, or do they contain the only good looking parts of the movie?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Klumpfot said:
I suspect that when they say that the third act of the Superman won't be "good", they mean it won't be safe or easily marketable. That is, it might be too challenging for regular audiences. As in; it might not be good for the people financing the movie.
This was my thinking as soon as I read it.

Also, I've never considered Zack Snyder any sort of "visionary" despite what his trailers want you to think. From what I gather Sucker Punch looks like it'll be a great time at the cinema, so I'll probably see it just for that. This new Superman can't be worse than 3 or 4. I predict this will be a film that is ruined thanks to studio ordered changes and a lot of missed potential in the final version.

The 300 prequel is extremely unnecessary. Why even bother?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Yeah...

I have no expectation of this movie being good, but the concept and trailers make it too good to pass up. Like Your Highness.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe... maybe Nolan is trying to sabotage Snyder? Like, they wrote a script with a totally cocked-up third act on purpose, leaving Snyder holding the ball... And when he falls out of favor with the studios, Nolan will be the only huge-budget high-concept game in town.

Y'know the more I think about the Superman script, the more I think it had to have been David Goyer with assistance from Christopher Nolan. Know what the last script upon which David Goyer had his name? The Unborn. "The Jewish Exorcist." And I don't know if you saw it, but it was an absolute fucking MESS.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sucker Punch(at least from the trailer) looked like a big CGI masturbation piece with little room for anything substantial.

Then again, I thought the same thing when I saw the trailer for Shyamalan's Avatar The Last Airbender; only to have the movie pull a bait-and-switch on us.
Well, at least it's keeping in line with established tropes: Movies that prominently feature a dragon at one point seem to falter or fail entirely (with only two exceptions coming to my mind). I'm not sure why though...

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Gahars said:
Agreed. Snyder has a pretty good track record (I loved Watchmen, I'm a huge fan of the Dawn of the Dead remake as well as the original, and 300 was stupid fun at the time) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
The Dawn of the Dead remake was one of the few remakes that i enjoyed ever since remake-mania recently hit Hollywood. I also liked Watchmen, it´s a nice interpretation of Alan Moore´s work.300 was a more visceral, adrenaline inducing experience where style is valued over substance...and i enjoyed the hell out of it. That fun factor in 300 seems to be explored in sucker punch,since Snyder is mixing up robots, dragons, hot chicks and samurais. My expectations are driven towards a fun popcorn movie with loads of action. If Snyder is able to mix an intricate story with the asylum angle, even better!