Rumour: Microsoft to save Silent Hills

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009

Make of this what you will but it makes a great deal of sense of if Microsoft can get a hold of Konami's major IP's and sell them as xbox one exclusives. If they can bring Kojima on and give him a studio as well. Then I can see why Microsoft would drop the cheddar.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Such....conflicting.......feelings...........

On one hand, FUCK YEAH! Silent Hill!!!!

On the other hand....Xbox One....just.....ewwww

On the other other hand, an "anonymous" source says this. That is their source so I'm going to go ahead and not care at all until we hear...well......anything else. I do not know who "The Know" is so maybe they're reputable enough to trust but I don't know them. Unless others can confirm that when "The Know" speaks, you should listen, I'm going to assume this is not true until other news sources confirm.

Consider my interest mildly poked but until we know anything even remotely concrete, I will continue my candlelight vigil for the untimely death of our dear Silent Hill series. Even if it does rise back from the dead, it's also not safe to assume that it will be our beloved series and not some bastardized ACTION HORROR!!! garbage that completely misses the point of Silent Hill...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Based on my experience with P.T, I don't care who saves Silent Hills, I just want somebody to. I'd be over the moon if this news was true.

But billions? It would have to be more than just Silent Hills for it to make sense.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
God damn, Microsoft wants to compete. This would be a big deal. Not enough to make me get an Xbone, but still.

That said, billions? With a B? I have a hard time believing that Silent Hill is worth nearly that much. It's never been the most lucrative series, and even if they brought it back, they've lost a lot of talent. I think it's wishful thinking. The truth is that Silent Hill died a long time ago. Just because it sends you a letter now and then doesn't mean it's still alive.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I might believe these people were worth listening to if they were actual game journalism figures, and not one of the thousands of youtube schmoes with a couple of hundred viewers. Why would an industry big wheel go to some random nobodies with this?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Now I'm trying to determine if this is a worse fate than for the game to have just died...

Souplex said:
not one of the thousands of youtube schmoes with a couple of hundred viewers
They're associated with Rooster Teeth, have over half a million subscribers, and have millions of views. I wouldn't call them that random.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I saw this video earlier today. I've been checking these guys' channel for the past few weeks because they update pretty regularly. Needless to say, I was excited to see this.

If this is true, and if Silent Hills turns out to be as good as the demo, then Xbox One just got a point in its favor for me. I want to get one, but so far The Master Chief Collect and Halo 5 just aren't enough to justify it for me. This would go a long way toward me getting one.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I can't even get the energy to be annoyed or even feel anything about this.

Honestly, I seriously doubt Microsoft has that kind of cash just lying around for an IP that has had a questionable history over the past few years. Also, I highly doubt Konami would just simply let that IP go since it's one of their money makers.

I'm beginning to think that the series should just die already, if not just sit away from human consciousness for a while.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Honestly, I seriously doubt Microsoft has that kind of cash just lying around for an IP that has had a questionable history over the past few years. Also, I highly doubt Konami would just simply let that IP go since it's one of their money makers.

I'm beginning to think that the series should just die already, if not just sit away from human consciousness for a while.
Microsoft has $93 Billion in cash, they can afford it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Over a franchise that's had not so great numbers over the years? I just don't see that happening.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Over a franchise that's had not so great numbers over the years? I just don't see that happening.

Well it could happen... Microsoft is in dire need of exclusive and P.T draw a lot of attention. It's unlikely, but not impossible...
I just hope the game get's set on track again, it had a lot of promise behind it and Silent Hill is always welcome in my book, even if they suck like Homecoming and everything after Homecoming.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Diablo2000 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Well it could happen... Microsoft is in dire need of exclusive and P.T draw a lot of attention. It's unlikely, but not impossible...
I just hope the game get's set on track again, it had a lot of promise behind it and Silent Hill is always welcome in my book, even if they suck like Homecoming and everything after Homecoming.
True, but they have Alan Wake and it's an IP they could do a lot with.

Believe me, I really wanted Silent Hills to come out and be a thing, but it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm not even sure if MS can get the rights to that game since it's a Japanese IP and I have no idea how their copyright laws really work. If they can manage to get the series then they can do whatever they want... eventually...

No I'm not bitter about Banjo-Kazooie and Rare. >.>

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

What if it's not just Silent Hill? The money being reported makes more sense with Kojima Productions and Metal Gear also involved.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Diablo2000 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

True, but they have Alan Wake and it's an IP they could do a lot with.

Believe me, I really wanted Silent Hills to come out and be a thing, but it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm not even sure if MS can get the rights to that game since it's a Japanese IP and I have no idea how their copyright laws really work. If they can manage to get the series then they can do whatever they want... eventually...

No I'm not bitter about Banjo-Kazooie and Rare. >.>
I guess "buy" is the wrong word here, if it were to happen it would be more like "give Konami a shit load of money for them to make the game exclusive for X number of years", like Rise of the Tomb Raider.
And Microsoft does have Alan Wake yes, but Alan Wake doesn't have even a third of the brand regnition that Silent Hill have, even if it doesn't sell very well, Silent Hill exclusive for Xbone would raise a lot more looks\flags\eyebrows than Alan Wake 2 "proper, not American Nightmares" would.

But I know your lost, bro. If only Microsoft treated Rare with the respect that them and their franchises deserve, the world would be a better place indeed.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

What if it's not just Silent Hill? The money being reported makes more sense with Kojima Productions and Metal Gear also involved.
I cant imagine that Sony would lie down and allow MGS to become a Xbox exclusive after all its time as a successful PS exclusive. This sounds like hopeful speculation to me which is fine I wont get my hopes down about it yet.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Darks63 said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I cant imagine that Sony would lie down and allow MGS to become a Xbox exclusive after all its time as a successful PS exclusive. This sounds like hopeful speculation to me which is fine I wont get my hopes down about it yet.
It's speculation on my part with Kojima and MGS but Sony simply does not have the greenbacks to win a bidding war with MS.