Rumour: Microsoft to save Silent Hills

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I would think the hardest part would be getting Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus all back on the project than Microsoft even buying the Silent Hill IP. I could see Microsoft making Silent Hills but it would probably be a very different game than it would've been.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
No I'm not bitter about Banjo-Kazooie and Rare. >.>
Come on, now, we all know that the world would be much better with Silent Hill Sports: Kinect Edition and Silent Hill: Bolts and Nuts.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MysticSlayer said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Come on, now, we all know that the world would be much better with Silent Hill Sports: Kinect Edition and Silent Hill: Bolts and Nuts.
Finally!

At long last I can play beach volleyball with the nurses and race against Pyramid Head in jet skiing. And then I can play with the previous protagonists to create a bitchin' car to drive around Silent Hill in!

Genius!

Why do I feel like bitterly crying now?
Diablo2000 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Diablo2000 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can't even get the energy to be annoyed or even feel anything about this.

Honestly, I seriously doubt Microsoft has that kind of cash just lying around for an IP that has had a questionable history over the past few years. Also, I highly doubt Konami would just simply let that IP go since it's one of their money makers.

I'm beginning to think that the series should just die already, if not just sit away from human consciousness for a while.
Microsoft has $93 Billion in cash, they can afford it.
Over a franchise that's had not so great numbers over the years? I just don't see that happening.

Then again, I've been wrong before.
Well it could happen... Microsoft is in dire need of exclusive and P.T draw a lot of attention. It's unlikely, but not impossible...
I just hope the game get's set on track again, it had a lot of promise behind it and Silent Hill is always welcome in my book, even if they suck like Homecoming and everything after Homecoming.
True, but they have Alan Wake and it's an IP they could do a lot with.

Believe me, I really wanted Silent Hills to come out and be a thing, but it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm not even sure if MS can get the rights to that game since it's a Japanese IP and I have no idea how their copyright laws really work. If they can manage to get the series then they can do whatever they want... eventually...

I guess "buy" is the wrong word here, if it were to happen it would be more like "give Konami a shit load of money for them to make the game exclusive for X number of years", like Rise of the Tomb Raider.
And Microsoft does have Alan Wake yes, but Alan Wake doesn't have even a third of the brand regnition that Silent Hill have, even if it doesn't sell very well, Silent Hill exclusive for Xbone would raise a lot more looks\flags\eyebrows than Alan Wake 2 "proper, not American Nightmares" would.

But I know your lost, bro. If only Microsoft treated Rare with the respect that them and their franchises deserve, the world would be a better place indeed.
I can see MS doing one stand alone game, but I don't see it being Silent Hills nor paying a billion dollars for it.

In my opinion, Alan Wake was a good gamble for them and I think they should continue on with the series instead of just abandoning it and getting Silent Hill. I would imagine that Sony wouldn't take that lightly either, so it would interesting to see what would happen if Sony got in the bidding war, if there is one.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If the 'billions' thing is true then the guy in charge of aquisitions at MS isnt long for his job i think.

That kind of cash for MC is understandable when they will probably earn that money back with merchandise and the inevitable sequel, but making that much on Silent Hill just doesnt sound possible.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Wouldn't make a difference to me from it just being cancelled, since I'm not buying a Microsoft console ever again. Especially not a ****ing Xbone.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
In my opinion, Alan Wake was a good gamble for them and I think they should continue on with the series instead of just abandoning it and getting Silent Hill. I would imagine that Sony wouldn't take that lightly either, so it would interesting to see what would happen if Sony got in the bidding war, if there is one.
Alan Wake was terrible gamble for Microsoft on the XBox 360, it was pirated more than purchased years after release.

Alan Wake (1,140,000) (May. 2010)
Alan Wake 1.31 million in sales as of today

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/13817/alan-wake/
http://torrentfreak.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-most-pirated-game-of-2010-101228/

It flopped on 360, not the right audience for that type of game. Also why there probably won't be another till Microsoft closes Remedy and they kickstart it without Microsoft interference. For now they are making an ok looking XBone exclusive that was to tie in with XBox TV, with that cancelled who knows? Remedy sure missed the XBone release window by a few years already (was to be a launch title), might not see it at all.

PC on the other hand, made the development cost back in 48 hours after release.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-20-alan-wake-pc-makes-money-back-in-48-hours
Microsoft made no money from this release, they just told Remedy to make it on their own and the development cost was on them. Just another link in the long chain of Microsoft failures.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Seems a bit sketchy, given the billion dollar purchasing rate.

If it comes to Xbox One, well hurray for me 'cos I actually get to play it. Silent Hills would have been the only game I was remotely interested in on PS4 even though I don't have amazing hopes for it.

And nothing they make can be worse than Homecoming, so bring it on.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
pilouuuu said:
Oh, so they want to finally kill SH. Microsoft buying means no PC version EVER!
Shattered Memories and Downpour weren't on PC, either. Hell Shattered Memories didn't even go to Xbox 360 or PS3.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
MC1980 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaand debunked.
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/604697441447731201

So there, no need to bother with this tomfoolery anymore.
I'm kinda glad Microsoft won't get their hands on it, and even though I'm not happy with Sony either (for political/economic reasons I won't drag this thread down with) I'd rather they had the IP, especially since the demo started on their system!

Would all this give Microsoft an idea to actually do it though?

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Debunked, which makes me a bit sad, though I saw the video before the debunking and simply shook my head.

Billions is absolutely absurd, unless it was billions of yen.

4 billion USD is what Disney paid for Lucasfilm and Star Wars, and no way is Silent Hill worth a quarter or more of that.

Guys, have an idea of scale.