Rumour: Next Xbox console won't include disc drive, due in 2013

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I had issues with cartridges but never has one failed for me. Disc's have failed me time and time again with nearly half a dozen broken in just this generation. Though I wonder if this rumor holds true will next xbox be the cheapest? Will it be a true gaming console and not a frankenstein beast with features not needed? Don't care if I loose music, watching movies etc if it makes it cheaper.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
I wouldn't mind moving to SD cards for media storage instead of the DVD we have now. Might be easier to loose, but hell lot more convenient then a DVD (and wont' get scratched). Make a small game, then you only need a 8gb SD. Have a larger "epic" game.. 16gb SD card for those whom need it. Any DLC you download.. goes on the games SD instead of the hard drive.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
krazykidd said:
If this is true then i give up on gaming . I dislike digital download ( although i very well understand why people love it). I just like having a physical copy of my games , once this is no longer possible i am throwing in the towel and buying old games to keep myself contente.
I am with you there. I haven't really been fond of this last console generation, but more so I have disliked the sheep it has brought in; the kind of people who would allow this to happen. Game publishers try to screw their customer base every chance they get, and they only go as far as they think they can get away with. At this point in time they can get away with anything now that Sony and everyone are having their customers agree to new ToS that say they can't be sued.

So yes, this still might be a rumor, but there is nothing stopping them from doing it, is there? Certainly not the gaming community.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
You mean like just about everything else in the world?
Aren't we catty? No, not everything else in the world has a markup anywhere near as high as SD cards. SD cards are often used as part of a loss leader strategy. Hence, they have high markup than something like Dvds. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

They would not be a significant cost factor for the publisher.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, they kinda would.
Shit, better tell Sony to discontinue that Vita thing they just released, looks like they're about to lose a fortune on their distribution media! Really, saying something that is already being widely done would lose publishers money is beyond ridiculous.

Give evidence or lose the snark, because you're wrong.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Never gonna happen. The next Xbox will have a disk drive and I'm 99.0% sure it's going to be a Bluray drive. Solid state memory (SD or Flash) is a really outside possibility but highly unlikely.

I'll make a bit with you now, if the next Xbox ditches physical media for games then I will actually buy a hat and then eat it.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
I'm guessing they'll be switching to cards or cartridges so they can console-lock them, thus ending the pre-owned game "problem".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ResonanceGames said:
Aren't we catty?
Actually, you seem to infer a lot of hostility where there wasn't any.

I suppose if ranting will make you feel better, go for it. But don't pretend I'm the problem here. Of course, there are other problems.

No, not everything else in the world has a markup anywhere near as high as SD cards. SD cards are often used as part of a loss leader strategy.
Proof, please.

Shit, better tell Sony to discontinue that Vita thing they just released, looks like they're about to lose a fortune on their distribution media!
Okay, two things wrong here:

1. You're shifting the goalposts. You said it wouldn't be a significant cost factor to the publisher, a difference from "losing a fortune." A rather huge one, as a matter of fact.

2. Unless those cards are taking up space comparable to those required for next gen consoles, you're not running into the same cost issues. Smaller capacity cards will still cost less than larger ones.

Really, saying something that is already being widely done would lose publishers money is beyond ridiculous.
It is, but then I didn't do that and you should know better. Perhaps you're still upset because of inferred attitude.

Give evidence or lose the snark, because you're wrong.
And you are yet to demonstrate with facts that I actually am wrong, so so far what we have is a lovely pot calling a kettle black and getting VERY angry at the same time.

Captcha: "Oh Brother." Seemed to fit here.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
hutchy27 said:
My transaction from console to PC has been officially finalized. -___-
Thus I welcome you my brother to PC gaming. That's the only thing I could come up with.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
so long as microsoft doesn't price the games then fine by me, though my xbox downloads games really slowly, my pc downloads 1mb a second (not great but that's on wireless) but my xbox downloads at 100kb...when downloading those updates for battlefield 3 it's taken up to 15 hours. ¬.¬

on topic
digital downloads seem like a good thing and like i said i'd rather the developers of the game be pricing it rather than microsoft and their money grabbing ways.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rule Britannia said:
so long as microsoft doesn't price the games then fine by me, though my xbox downloads games really slowly, my pc downloads 1mb a second (not great but that's on wireless) but my xbox downloads at 100kb...when downloading those updates for battlefield 3 it's taken up to 15 hours. ¬.¬
You realise this isn't a DD only model, right?

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I'm thinking that they may have been leaked to some one that they won't have DVD drives so no backwards compatibility and then the rumor got twisted and become no disc drives.