Runaways Movie question

edgecult

May 4, 2011
A weird thought occurred to me so I figured i'de ask about and see what you guys think.

Are we going to be able to have Xavin or Molly in this movie? It's an odd question but I have to wonder...

Specifically I wonder because after rewatching that IP license Big Picture episode it seems like it might be an odd thing.

Xavin is a super skrull (and covered by the FF4) and Molly is mutant (so covered by xmen rights). Aren't the two technicially owned by Fox?

Just my odd thought is all...

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I think that Fox owns certain named mutants and the term "mutants". Molly might be okay if her parents are just generic superhumans. They might have trouble with Xavin. I think maybe they'd won't call him/her a Skrull.

Though Xavin (plus Victor and Klara) aren't original runaways. So they might not be there.

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
Wait there's going to be a Runaways movie?
Hell yes!
Anyway I don't think Xavin will be involved given all first hero movies cover the origins and Xavin wasn't involved when the group first started.
Molly should be fine so long as the M word isn't mentioned by name.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
ah.. didn't think of that.. the first movie will probably just span their first main story. (though I wonder if they'll fit in cloak and dagger or skip that little story.) Stick to the vampire kid and just general running from their parents more generic goons.

But the xavin question will have to come up at some point. (provided they get to make a 2nd) It's not as easy to gloss over as the "skrulls" from avengers. Xavins main powers are the FF4 genetic copies like all super skrull after all. Less he/she... it... skips out on all the fight scenes.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I immediately assumed this was about that movie with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. I wondered what sorts of new Joan Jett trivia was in store... I think I'm a different kind of nerd than most people.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
zelda2fanboy said:
I immediately assumed this was about that movie with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. I wondered what sorts of new Joan Jett trivia was in store... I think I'm a different kind of nerd than most people.
I jumped to this exact same conclusion. That movie also gave me a good deal more respect for Kristen Stewart. It's a strange feeling.

OT: I think that there's some weird workaround that although Molly is a mutant, she's first and foremost a Runaways character and thus is allowed to be in the film. I'm basing this off of something I heard about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver maybe being involved in Avengers 2, and if that case holds, then there should be no problem with Molly seeing as she's made at most a cameo appearance in X-men books (whereas SW and Quicksilver were villains once upon a time). I'd assume the same rule would also work for Xavin as well, although I'd expect the movie to cover the first series and thus not include Xavin.

I heard production of the movie was on hold though. Has there been a change to that? I'd love to see this movie get made

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Wait...there's a Runaways movie coming? Seriously? Or is this just wishful thinking? If it's not, I demand sources.

As for the actual question: There could be some stink on it, but I think Molly is fine for 2 reasons. 1 is that her being a mutant is not INHERENT to her backstory or the story of the main cast so I doubt she's owned by Fox (especially since I think Runaways started after the first X-Men movie). Yeah, it's technically what she is, but they rarely if ever really address it and if she was just a generic superhuman it wouldn't take away from it, so they just couldn't use the word 'Mutant.' Push comes to shove and the word 'lawsuit' gets thrown around vis a vis Molly being in the movie, you replace her name with something else and claim she's an original character.

I doubt there'll be stink on it though, because of reason 2: Not a lot of people outside the comics community (and even within it) are that familiar with Runaways. I doubt most people at Fox know who she is.

Still. Sources on the Runaways movie?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
edgecult said:
A weird thought occurred to me so I figured i'de ask about and see what you guys think.

Are we going to be able to have Xavin or Molly in this movie? It's an odd question but I have to wonder...

Specifically I wonder because after rewatching that IP license Big Picture episode it seems like it might be an odd thing.

Xavin is a super skrull (and covered by the FF4) and Molly is mutant (so covered by xmen rights). Aren't the two technicially owned by Fox?

Just my odd thought is all...
I'm still believe that marvel gave the other studios a list of characters that are part of the various franchises. Like FF4 got Dr. Doom, the Skrull, Galactus and his various heralds, etc but they would not have people like Adam Warlock because he is a Cosmic character or Xavin who (while Skrull) is part of the Runaways first, so that while Sony? got the Skrull with FF4, they didn't get the specific Skrull characters like Xavin and Hulkling.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I think Molly would be fine as long as they never ever mention the word "mutant". Xavin might be harder, might have to say she's one of those aliens from the Avengers movie just to avoid the headache. I would imagine Victor being a problem too since I figure Marvel would want Ultron in a movie before his "son".

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Launcelot111 said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I jumped to this exact same conclusion. That movie also gave me a good deal more respect for Kristen Stewart. It's a strange feeling.

OT: I think that there's some weird workaround that although Molly is a mutant, she's first and foremost a Runaways character and thus is allowed to be in the film. I'm basing this off of something I heard about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver maybe being involved in Avengers 2, and if that case holds, then there should be no problem with Molly seeing as she's made at most a cameo appearance in X-men books (whereas SW and Quicksilver were villains once upon a time). I'd assume the same rule would also work for Xavin as well, although I'd expect the movie to cover the first series and thus not include Xavin.

I heard production of the movie was on hold though. Has there been a change to that? I'd love to see this movie get made
From what I heard about the hold was it was on hold specifically so they could focus on making the avengers movie. So I'de assume the movie would be back on the move again now that avengers has moved out and finished making untolds amount of money to fund new works and such.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Elesar said:
Wait...there's a Runaways movie coming? Seriously? Or is this just wishful thinking? If it's not, I demand sources.

As for the actual question: There could be some stink on it, but I think Molly is fine for 2 reasons. 1 is that her being a mutant is not INHERENT to her backstory or the story of the main cast so I doubt she's owned by Fox (especially since I think Runaways started after the first X-Men movie). Yeah, it's technically what she is, but they rarely if ever really address it and if she was just a generic superhuman it wouldn't take away from it, so they just couldn't use the word 'Mutant.' Push comes to shove and the word 'lawsuit' gets thrown around vis a vis Molly being in the movie, you replace her name with something else and claim she's an original character.

I doubt there'll be stink on it though, because of reason 2: Not a lot of people outside the comics community (and even within it) are that familiar with Runaways. I doubt most people at Fox know who she is.

Still. Sources on the Runaways movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaways_(comics)#Film

Not the best source but if you want more "offical" things there's tagged sources for the info with the information that should help.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Tiamattt said:
I think Molly would be fine as long as they never ever mention the word "mutant". Xavin might be harder, might have to say she's one of those aliens from the Avengers movie just to avoid the headache. I would imagine Victor being a problem too since I figure Marvel would want Ultron in a movie before his "son".
Ohhh.. I didn't think of that either.. The ultron references would soar over some peoples heads.. but it might be an interesting way to introduce him as a later villian for someone elses movie. They aren't above throwing those sort of off handed references only to have them turn up as plot points in different movies.

Worse comes worse they might just have ultron appear as a villian in one of the next pre avengers character movies. Have him turn up as the big bad in the next iron man or maybe whoevers movie ends up doing the plot dev on shield this time sense it might be a way to intro the life doubles and such shield has as well. (like the avengers/invaders comic story)