Running DOS game after downloading it from Steam

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Downloaded a DOS game from Steam, came with DosBox launcher, trying to run and mount but nothing seems to work. I've followed every walkthrough I can find.

If I just run it from the Steam library I get the game's audio over a black screen. How the he'll do you do this?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, dosbox should be autoconfigured to work but sometimes its wonkey. I would look up the game on gog to see what people there are saying about it. What game was this anyway?

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well, dosbox should be autoconfigured to work but sometimes its wonkey. I would look up the game on gog to see what people there are saying about it. What game was this anyway?
Megarace 1.
Dosbox opens when I try run the game but won't let me type in anything.
If I try running Dosbox separately, it doesn't let me mount C:\.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Megarace 1.
Dosbox opens when I try run the game but won't let me type in anything.
If I try running Dosbox separately, it doesn't let me mount C:\.
Dosbox should just be pointed at the game executable and run it from there. You can download doxbox by itself and configure it to run. Or you could try just refunding the steam one and buying it on gog which is also having a sale on the megarace 1 & 2 pack, the configuration they use might work better for you. Gog seems like they have better compatibility testing with old games like this.

This guy also goes over getting it setup.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Dosbox should just be pointed at the game executable and run it from there. You can download doxbox by itself and configure it to run. Or you could try just refunding the steam one and buying it on gog which is also having a sale on the megarace 1 & 2 pack, the configuration they use might work better for you. Gog seems like they have better compatibility testing with old games like this.

Worgen coming in clutch with solutions!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Thanks, I just refunded the Steam copy and got Megarace 1 + 2 from GOG for $0.36. Downloaded them, work like a charm, no messing around DOS emulators.