running games with out the os in the way

niglett

Jul 17, 2009
Remember in the old days of windows 3.1? when you got a game that wouldn't run on your computer and all you needed to do was boot the game from a floppy? then the game would work flawlessly.

now is there a way to do this with new games on newish computers? and with a usb drive as opposed to the floppy?

the problem is i want to play minecraft but my computer just barely runs it. my goal is to run minecraft by booting it from a usb drive and go around running windows.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't think you understand what exactly your OS does. The OS control memory management, time sharing, and lower level system management stuff like that. Unless the game has programing to control basic memory management (It's coded in Java so it doesn't) it can't run your computer and thus needs to run on top of an OS. Old computers worked differently from modern day computers and you could so stuff like that but modern day computers don't work like that. Unless you happen to have a physical Java Machine (My god, that would go beyond uber nerd into some new super uber nerd territory) then you need to have something running under minecraft anyways. I know for a fact that Minecraft, being Java needs a virtual machine and that virtual machine (unless you happen to have run that runs on machine language) runs on top of your OS.

In short, no. It'd be cool if it did.

niglett

Jul 17, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
I don't think you understand what exactly your OS does. The OS control memory management, time sharing, and lower level system management stuff like that. Unless the game has programing to control basic memory management (It's coded in Java so it doesn't) it can't run your computer and thus needs to run on top of an OS. Old computers worked differently from modern day computers and you could so stuff like that but modern day computers don't work like that. Unless you happen to have a physical Java Machine (My god, that would go beyond uber nerd into some new super uber nerd territory) then you need to have something running under minecraft anyways. I know for a fact that Minecraft, being Java needs a virtual machine and that virtual machine (unless you happen to have run that runs on machine language) runs on top of your OS.

In short, no. It'd be cool if it did.
realistically the old method didn't actually boot the game completely without the os. it actually only runs the parts of the os that are actually necessary. running without the user interface and other features in an os that the game doesn't need. this leaves more resources to the game or what have you.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
There's no possible way to do that, but heres what you can do:

You can get a small linux distribution (like ubuntu or linux mint), install the java runtime, and so on, and you should be able to run minecraft better because linux uses less system resources than windoez.

niglett

Jul 17, 2009
SuperGauntlet said:
There's no possible way to do that, but heres what you can do:

You can get a small linux distribution (like ubuntu or linux mint), install the java runtime, and so on, and you should be able to run minecraft better because linux uses less system resources than windoez.
yeah i was just looking in to that. what small and light distro would you suggest.

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
If you're new to linux, i'd say linux mint. It comes with all the stuff you need to run minecraft preinstalled, so you'd just have to get it on a live USB and get the minecraft jar on there, and you should be able to run it, though i'm not completely sure.