Rush Brings 2112 to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rush Brings 2112 to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Rush, one of the most influential and nerdiest rock groups in the world, is coming to 2112 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Guitar+Hero%3A+Warriors+of+Rock%22&x=10&y=18&ih=1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.2509_1&fsc=-1] with them.

We don't usually pay much attention to press releases about one band or another signing up to be in one music game or another. But things change a bit when the band in question is Rush, and when it turns out they're bringing the 1976 classic 2112 to the party - the whole damn thing - you better believe we take notice.

Why? Because Rush is Maximum Rock for the geek set. Having, at the bare minimum, an appreciation for the band's work is a prerequisite for full nerd accreditation. Do you think it's just coincidence that Futurama's [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756879/] Fry set about defending the Earth from alien invasion with a two-liter of Shasta and an all-Rush mix tape?

The "Quest mode" of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock will be loosely based on Rush's massive, album-spanning track 2112. Set in the late 21st century, the song tells the story of a man living under a repressive totalitarian regime who discovers a guitar, tries to bring music to the masses, fails and commits suicide as an invading space fleet launches an attack against the Solar Federation. Hey, it's 70s prog-rock, that's just how it goes.

Unlike the frontman of a signed the check [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87589-Nickelback-Wants-You-To-Stop-Playing-Guitar-Hero]), Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson says he's a fan of the music game genre. "I love the idea of Guitar Hero; they have combined two great things - music and fun," he said. "I think it's a great way to introduce people of all ages to music of various styles by all kinds of different bands, while providing a launching pad for kids who want to get into playing music."

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is set for release on September 28 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Holy shit... 21 minutes of flailing straight?

Yeah, why not? I got time.

Calumon: For once, I'm glad I can't play Guitar Hero. Jack's Arms are gonna hurt.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Consider it bought. I've been playing the song on Insane on beat hazard. This will be even better. The streets of my town will ring out to the sound of me failing to play this epic tune.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow...that would be intense to do...imagine it, god...

Well, could make for great drunken fun!

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
It saddens me that it isn't on Rock Band 3, 2112 on pro-mode just sounds awesome.

This might just make me get that game.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Dude, you can't call Nickleback a band! It's just several douches smacking their hands on instruments and spewing shit into a mic.

This game looks kind of cool, but the story mode idea sounds stupid and they have milked the franchise too much.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I know Rock Band has the entirety of Moving Pictures...but...

I WANT IN RB3!

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Rush? One of the most influential bands of all time?

....Why have I never heard of them?

Edit: Actually, I have heard of Rush.

When I wrote this comment I was REALLY REAAAALLLY sleepy, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Cool.

Too bad Rock Band 3 has pretty much knocked Guitar Hero straight out of the park with the ability to now learn real instruments while playing it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Freebird. said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Holy shit... 21 minutes of flailing straight?

Yeah, why not? I got time.

Calumon: For once, I'm glad I can't play Guitar Hero. Jack's Arms are gonna hurt.
Jesus, you've broke the forums.
Indeed I did... I'm reporting it as we speak. Now it's changed.

Calumon: Our Bad, Sorry.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I still like what RB is doing way better, and I'm not sold on the whole quest mode thing, but the Rush fan in me has to admit this is pretty awesome.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
The story of 2112 is based on Anthem. Go on, Say it. It's based on Anthem. Used to contain a loveletter to Ayn Rand. No? Don't remember? A'right.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
I love the song 2112 its just one of the best ballads of all time but i can't imagine playing it in guitar hero its not that most of it would be that hard its just that it never ends and my hands start to hurt after about 4 minutes of guitar hero

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I want to play Guitar Hero: Beat a Dead Horse.

When they release that, I may play Guitar Hero again.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Too bad they couldn't or didn't get Neil Peart to comment since he wrote the lyrics. Sweet to see it, though.

For no oneder, I agree that their sound has changed recently, but that can probably be chalked up to Peart losing his loved ones.

For The Austin, they're one of those bands who influenced other bands but just never got enough press to gain entry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Peart's lyrics and Lee's voice are rather polarizing, I'll admit. They are rather talented with their instruments, so they're interesting to check out in that regard.