Rush Limbaugh finally dead!

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I see the resident troll has already derailed the topic into a biblical debate about passages. 2 pages, that's pretty quick I must say.
I prefer to think of it as a right-wing internet personality gets dunked on for a career of being ill-informed and little more than a shock jockey. Oh and celebrating the death of Rush Limbaugh.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The only thing to lament is that he got to die of cancer in his home and not by the hand of the triumphant American working class as they finally liberate themselves from him and the people he represents.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The entire notion that death provides some sort of immunity from ones previous actions seem laughable. You don't suddenly become a saint just because you go all horizontal, and death certainly doesn't absolve you from whatever crap you spewed in life.

And the idea that we shouldn't take pleasure in the deaths of some people? Ridiculous. One could argue that we shouldn't wish death upon others (at least there is some sort of high ground there), but the notion that we cannot consider someone so harmful to society that we'd appreciate them not being a part of it anymore? Laughable.

Limbaugh isn't high on the list of people whose deaths I'd celebrate, but he was still the kind of scum that defended and presented ideas that clearly opposed reality and he garners no sympathy from me.
To be consistent, I'd be just as happy for people to celebrate my death if i ever do harmful selfish shitty things to everyone else without regret. It's totally free game then, I would actually encourage it. It's only fair.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Huh, odd, I really thought he had already died a few years ago. Might be thinking of someone else. Might be because I haven't heard anything of him since the start of the Trump years.
He used to be about the only game around for anyone in my region that wanted to hear opinions outside the bubble. I haven't listened to Rush in years, maybe decades and don't know if he compares well to so many who have come since... and the Internet. Talk radio in the 1980s was about it. But at a time when you did have an establishment that had a narrative that Rush opposed, the guy has be given some props as at least a gadfly in a time where there were few avenues to defend him if he ran afoul of the establishment intelligentsia. RIP.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
To be consistent, I'd be just as happy for people to celebrate my death if i ever do harmful selfish shitty things to everyone else without regret. It's totally free game then, I would actually encourage it. It's only fair.
It is quite honestly a conundrum, I consider myself a civilized person and opposed the death penalty, but at the same time I am utterly convinced that there are people whose deaths would greatly benefit (or at least protect from harm) the world.
Now, I'm not saying that people should kill these individuals, but at the same time I am entirely certain that were they to die the world would be better off. Thus it becomes clear that I should appreciate their passing, but at the same time it seems clear to me that I should also appreciate anything hastening said passing which I'm not entirely comfortable with.

If someone gave me the opportunity to press a switch and see Vladimir Putin die I'm not certain whether or not I'd press it, I am, however, entirely certain that should the man pass from this earth I'd consider it greatly beneficial. That creates something of an ethical quandary, if I believe their continued existence to be harmful, am I not obligated to attempt to hasten their passing from the world? But at the same time, would I be any better if I did attempt to hasten their passing?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
He used to be about the only game around for anyone in my region that wanted to hear opinions outside the bubble. I haven't listened to Rush in years, maybe decades and don't know if he compares well to so many who have come since... and the Internet. Talk radio in the 1980s was about it. But at a time when you did have an establishment that had a narrative that Rush opposed, the guy has be given some props as at least a gadfly in a time where there were few avenues to defend him if he ran afoul of the establishment intelligentsia. RIP.
He did religion a diservice. He gave Christianity a bad name.

You can like him all you want. Him and those that copy him are the reason I have nothing to do with the church today

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I feel like there's a middle ground between mourning and celebrating, but I'm too distracted by the subplot of fact checking a book of hand me down anecdotes that is filled with contradictions in the first place.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, it gave itself a bad name, on so many levels. He just outsourced and helped politicize a lot of the worse elements of that religion. And made millions doing it.
I would disagree. Many parts of Christianity don't care a whit about enforcing their religion on others, go on missions to help others not evangelise, are very pro-homosexuality and trans, like to find ways to work with other religions, anti-war, pro-immigrant.

But yes, he did politicise Christianity and attacked everyone. He attacked the Christians he didn't like and won. Same with the Republicans. He tried to make his version of Christianity THE version of Christianity and that even reach me here thousands of miles away

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I would disagree. Many parts of Christianity don't care a whit about enforcing their religion on others, go on missions to help others not evangelise, are very pro-homosexuality and trans, like to find ways to work with other religions, anti-war, pro-immigrant.
If you honestly think christianity wasn't bad BEFORE Limbaugh, then you are deluding yourself. I mean you even said man "parts", but you must know that a LOT of parts DO in fact try and enforce their religion on others, and have actual biblical backing for that stance. It's a terrible stance, but you can't say it's not biblically accurate. The religion itself has been terrible for a looong time, people like rush just worked it in as part of their political ideology, blending it with their nationalism and bigotry, because it's really easy to do so by quoting the shitty parts of that work of fiction.

So no, christianity isn't bad because of limbaugh. Sorry, he just put a new coat of paint on the shit that was already there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
As a young British guy, I have no idea who this person was, but it definitely seems like he didn't exactly leave a positive mark on the world.
Limbaugh was a long-time alt-right radio show host who was big on promoting white supremacy (lightly veiled, of course), American military domination of the world, and a "criminals are scum" mindset (which came back to bite him when he declared there should be no leniency for drug crime, just before being charged with prescription fraud).

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
No, it gave itself a bad name, on so many levels. He just outsourced and helped politicize a lot of the worse elements of that religion. And made millions doing it.
And you give atheists a bad name thus completing the circle. *tips fedora*

OT: Dunno who that guy was. His name was funny though. Sounds like a party game: Rush Limbo!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It is quite honestly a conundrum, I consider myself a civilized person and opposed the death penalty, but at the same time I am utterly convinced that there are people whose deaths would greatly benefit (or at least protect from harm) the world.
Now, I'm not saying that people should kill these individuals, but at the same time I am entirely certain that were they to die the world would be better off. Thus it becomes clear that I should appreciate their passing, but at the same time it seems clear to me that I should also appreciate anything hastening said passing which I'm not entirely comfortable with.

If someone gave me the opportunity to press a switch and see Vladimir Putin die I'm not certain whether or not I'd press it, I am, however, entirely certain that should the man pass from this earth I'd consider it greatly beneficial. That creates something of an ethical quandary, if I believe their continued existence to be harmful, am I not obligated to attempt to hasten their passing from the world? But at the same time, would I be any better if I did attempt to hasten their passing?
Not a good idea to create a power vacuum in that particular hypothetical situation without any planned replacements, but I do agree pretty much entirely otherwise. It's only after so many nameless invisible victims of these people who should and very well do know better, that the expectation to portray respect after their highly publicised death becomes a pretty sickening contrast of injustice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, I have never been on board with the whole "every death should be mourned" mentality, as I do think that there are some truly shit-tastic people in this world, and we are better off with them gone. So don't feel bad about not feeling bad that someone truly terrible is dead. I cheered audibly at work, and clapped my hands when I learned Sylvia Brown was dead. I did the same for limbaugh. I'm glad he's dead, fuck everything he did in this world. It's shitbags like him that helped create the political climate we find ourselves in, and I don't pity for a second, the fact that he's gone.
Same. My reaction is more or less this:

When Trump bites the bullet, it'll be the same reaction. Though I might do the Pennywise dance.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
And you give atheists a bad name thus completing the circle. *tips fedora*

OT: Dunno who that guy was. His name was funny though. Sounds like a party game: Rush Limbo!
Yeah, because I'm totally on par with an asshole egomaniac who fostered hatred and violence in millions, and milked them for millions at the same time, because I point out that religions are bullshit, and fundamentally flawed long before one radio mouthpiece monetized them. Hundreds of televangelists declaring people minions of satan, all the while demanding tithing. Fostering so much negativity. Yep, me saying religion is bad, and that I'm not sad a leech on humanity is dead, TOTALLY equivalent to that. Bite me.

Reactions: BrawlMan