Russ Pitts' Five Favorites 2010

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Russ Pitts' Five Favorites 2010

Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitts reveals his five favorite videogames of 2010.

Read Full Article

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised to not see Galaxy 2 or Mass Effect 2 on this list...seemed like he forgot alot of the games that came out earlier this year >_> but that's just my opinion.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
A lot of unexpected games on this list (except RDR, which always seems to get close to the top spot. Maybe I should get it). So far there seems to have been a lot of variety with all the GotY lists I've seen, which is cool. It means the year was so cool for gaming nobody can agree on which game was most awesome :p

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I knew Mafia 2 would make it on your list. :)

Didn't see Crackdown 2 coming, though.

I had pegged you more as the "immersive, narrative driven experience" type of gamer. Which makes Mass Effect 2's exclusion more than surprising to me.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Russ was a bit crafty with his no.1 slot, but I'm glad it's there. It proves that DLCs can be great to try out radically different ideas in the same game world, something the Darkspawn chronicles couldn't quite pull off for Darkspawn origins, but GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption did...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I knew Mafia 2 would make it on your list. :)

Didn't see Crackdown 2 coming, though.

I had pegged you more as the "immersive, narrative driven experience" type of gamer. Which makes Mass Effect 2's exclusion more than surprising to me.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
A lot of unexpected games on this list (except RDR, which always seems to get close to the top spot. Maybe I should get it). So far there seems to have been a lot of variety with all the GotY lists I've seen, which is cool. It means the year was so cool for gaming nobody can agree on which game was most awesome :p
It's pretty much exactly this. There were so many great games this year, that naming five is guaranteeing something's getting left out.

Also, get RDR.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Only game on the list I've bothered playing or actually enjoyed was RDR. Kinda surprised me, I mean, one's opinions always differ from the opinions of any other person, but that's a RADICALLY different list than I'd come up with. :p

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tempest13 said:
I'm genuinely surprised to not see Galaxy 2 or Mass Effect 2 on this list...seemed like he forgot alot of the games that came out earlier this year >_> but that's just my opinion.
Remember that these are favorites, not best of's. It's a slight but important distinction.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
Russ' top 3 are totally my top 3! Mafia rocked, New Vegas is so frustratingly good & Red Dead is the shit!

Stamaris

Sep 13, 2010
Holy spelling errors, Batman! Good list, but darn near unreadable due to lack of proofreading.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
I can agree with that list. Some may not have been the best in it's genre but that list exudes good fun.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Tempest13 said:
Oscar contenders come out this time of the year for the same reason: Memories are short. We tend to remember things closer to this date than others.

Also favorites means something different than best games.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm surprised to see ME2 off the list. I love how everybody has different lists, I certainly disagree with yours. Proves this was a great year for games, doesn't it?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Point one: you guys aren't allowed to have the same games on your lists?

point two: 'by day you deal with criminal gangs and at night the freaks come out"
Wow I didn't realize how accurate crackdown 2 was about what it's like to be a cop.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I can't say that I agree with the list. But hey, it's his favorites. I'm still gonna criticize as much as I can though.

Crackdown 2, SC: Conviction, and that boring bland excuse of an RPG called New Vegas? Now SC:C was fun while it lasted though no point in denying that but it was way to short. Also, why not Just Cause 2 instead of Crackdown 2? It's a much better game it just lacks zombies. Mafia 2 and RDR - no arguing there. Those games rock even though Mafia 2 is a disappointment when you compare it to it's predecessor, if you don't it's an excellent game. RDR is one of 3 games I own for 360 and it's awesome. It deserves the first place. Westerns are a very underrated genre with so much room for innovation.

No love for Mass Effect 2?

There are just too many good games this year it's not really surprising to see a list like this. I guess all of these games appeal to some people, and some people just hate them like I hate New Vegas.