Russia Suspected In Major Cyberattack On U.S. Treasury, Commerce Departments

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Russian hackers working for the Kremlin are believed to be behind an attack into U.S. government computer systems at the departments of Treasury and Commerce that may have lasted months before it was detected, according to U.S. officials and media reports.

The hackers reportedly broke into the email systems at those two government departments, but the full extent of the breach was not immediately clear as U.S. officials scrambled to make an assessment. There are concerns that hackers may have penetrated other government departments and perhaps many private companies as well.

The Commerce Department, the National Security Council and the Department of Homeland Security all acknowledged the intrusion in brief statements but provided no details.

"We can confirm there has been a breach in one of our bureaus," the Commerce Department said.

"We have been working closely with our agency partners regarding recently discovered activity on government networks," said NSC spokesman John Ullyot.

The U.S. government did not name Russia or any other actor as being responsible.

Reuters first reported the story on Sunday, and subsequent reports identified Russia's foreign intelligence service, the SVR, as the most likely culprit.

Russia's SVR, the rough equivalent to the CIA in the U.S., was blamed for major hacks in 2014-15 that involved unclassified email systems at the White House, State Department and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
I expect rapid sanctions and swift response by... someone. I hope it's Trump. I'm not holding out hope.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Can the world admit yet that analogue is more secure then digital since you have to at least physically be next to the information in question in order to steal it or copy it?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Why do I hope it's Trump, or why am I not holding out hope?

I hope it's Trump because for a least a few more weeks, he's the President of the United States.

Why am I not holding out hope?

Because we're going to hit 300,000 deaths for the Coronavirus most likely tonight. And most of Trump's Time is spent campaigning how he was the true victor of the Election while not giving a damn that his citizens are dying and not pushing for any help or reform... other than trying to take credit for the Vaccine.

He doesn't strike me as someone who cares about... well, us.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Why do I hope it's Trump, or why am I not holding out hope?

I hope it's Trump because for a least a few more weeks, he's the President of the United States.

Why am I not holding out hope?

Because we're going to hit 300,000 deaths for the Coronavirus most likely tonight. And most of Trump's Time is spent campaigning how he was the true victor of the Election while not giving a damn that his citizens are dying and not pushing for any help or reform... other than trying to take credit for the Vaccine.

He doesn't strike me as someone who cares about... well, us.
No, why do you want sanctions and a "swift response" about this particular issue?

edit:

Context:

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Can the world admit yet that analogue is more secure then digital since you have to at least physically be next to the information in question in order to steal it or copy it?
Uh, every single person who works in cyber security knows that. That’s why all the sexy and exciting stuff is kept on airgapped networks within secure areas or on paper in safes that weigh as much as a small car.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Uh, every single person who works in cyber security knows that. That’s why all the sexy and exciting stuff is kept on airgapped networks within secure areas or on paper in safes that weigh as much as a small car.
Which is why I directed what I said towards the world, not those in the know.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
No, why do you want sanctions and a "swift response" about this particular issue?
Against an enemy of the state that has been meddling with our affairs for the longest period of time, and his pet President has torn my country in half? Petty Vengeance.

Look, there's nothing about Trump that I covet. If I could give him to all these countries he fucked over, I would have a 6' foot gift back and a bow in the colors of every nation. But the increasing level of fuckery that Russia is doing and Trump seems to pass of with an "Oh, You!" is setting me off.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Keep doing this, and knowing Biden he may just send troops into Ukraine or even Belarus. Sanctions aren't cutting it.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Against an enemy of the state that has been meddling with our affairs for the longest period of time, and his pet President has torn my country in half? Petty Vengeance.

Look, there's nothing about Trump that I covet. If I could give him to all these countries he fucked over, I would have a 6' foot gift back and a bow in the colors of every nation. But the increasing level of fuckery that Russia is doing and Trump seems to pass of with an "Oh, You!" is setting me off.
Literally we're doing the exact same shit to them.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
A good portion of the military budget should go to cybersecurity. Wars will be fought mostly by hackers instead of foot soldiers.