Russia Tells U.S. to Use A Trampoline to Send Its Astronauts to the ISS

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Oh Russia, you dun goofed.

Now America will unleashed the perfect trampoline.

I fear this could lead to something terrible. Perhaps even a trampoline race.
First the US builds a giant trampoline. Then, Russia, fearing that it will fall behind, will build a bigger trampoline.
Then the US will start building bigger and bigger trampolines. Russia has more surface area to plant their trampolines.
Next thing you know, the US will run out of space and will start putting trampolines in allied countries.
Russia will get really pissed off and will retaliate by putting trampolines in Cuba. The the US will totally freak out and we may end up in a trampoline war. Soldiers bouncing through the air at each other.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
O maestre said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
major_chaos said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
As opposed to Russian backed ones like Syria.
Oh Syria, thanks for reminding me of another time Russia was actually willing to do the unthinkable and oppose the US.
Yes, because chemical weapons makes everything better.
I wouldn't go there... the Russian's did good in solving a tense situation without deploying external military, but through diplomacy. Instead of the empty "redline"threats. As far as we have been told close to 90% of the chemical weapons have been removed.

As for puppet governments, again the west and specifically America has had a fair share of friendly and economic relations with ruthless dictators throughout history, amongst other shady activities.

I know the media is ramping this up to be a new cold war but the I don't believe either side is acting out of any sense of altruism, or has the moral upperhand. Everything is based on self serving acts even amongst allies, specially since it is no longer about competing ideologies but competing markets.
Well I guess it's just like how I've always lived my life. Look to yourself first, because nobody else will. Sad but true.

OT: I'm not particularly worried about this. We can always get other shuttles when we need them. Besides who doesn't want a trampoline. I bet NASA can come up with 100 space related uses for them.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Begun the Trampoline wars has.

Also sadly still yet to find a russian trampoline manufacturer but since no one has done it, Im going to take the low road and do the joke before anyone else does: IN RUSSIA TRAMPOLINE JUMPS YOU

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, I'll say this for Rozogin: it was a good, quotable line. Also, I can think of no video clip more ironic for the OP's pro-Russian statements than one of Top Gun.

My irony meter is fucking hemorrhaging right now.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
RealRT said:
If by "annexing" you mean "Crimea wanted to join Russia instead of the clusterfuck that is the current Ukraine and people of Crimea voted for that fair and square on a referendum", then yeah, that was annexing.
Unless you wanted to vote "no", wich wasnt an option given in the voting.. making this not a vote at all now did it?

And if you still tried to somehow vote "no" these russian soldiers in unmarked uniforms with their nice AKs would kindly remind you that no is not an answer when putin makes a decision. Also grabbing all that military equipment including entire destroyers surely was also the will of the people no?

Also a minority of people does not get to decide if the land they sit on now suddenly belong to another state. That would take a referendum of the whole of ukraine.

You might think it should be their right but the land they live on belongs to ALL the people of the ukraine, not just to those that happen to live on that spot.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Karadalis said:
RealRT said:
If by "annexing" you mean "Crimea wanted to join Russia instead of the clusterfuck that is the current Ukraine and people of Crimea voted for that fair and square on a referendum", then yeah, that was annexing.
Unless you wanted to vote "no", wich wasnt an option given in the voting.. making this not a vote at all now did it?

And if you still tried to somehow vote "no" these russian soldiers in unmarked uniforms with their nice AKs would kindly remind you that no is not an answer when putin makes a decision. Also grabbing all that military equipment including entire destroyers surely was also the will of the people no?

Also a minority of people does not get to decide if the land they sit on now suddenly belong to another state. That would take a referendum of the whole of ukraine.

You might think it should be their right but the land they live on belongs to ALL the people of the ukraine, not just to those that happen to live on that spot.
You know, I've seen the ballots and "No" was very much an answer, option 2 was "leave it all as it was since 1992", now I wonder if YOU have seen them at all.

And considering how people voted have no and made up a minority, it seems like soldiers weren't reminding people anyone. You know, like on all legit votes.

A majority, one the other hand, does. As for "the whole of Ukraine", Ukraine isn't exactly a whole nowadays. Plus, Crimea has (or rather had) a special status within Ukraine.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Good. i find this as more incentive for European Space Agency to quicken their developement on manned space exploration.

major_chaos said:
Doubtful. Besides its not like the rebel government is adverse to bloodshed.
I see it as a lesser of two evils.
You got facist Ukrainian government.
You got Facist Russian dictatorship.
I personally think the first one is less evil.

Sleekit said:
b. so is Russia. far, far bigger than the US
to be honest, most of it is frozen tundra. Canada is also bigger in territory, not so in livable space.

squeebles12 said:
Before anyone stars firing off at me for "supporting Russia" I just want to get it out that I in no way support what Russia has done and I understand the danger as several of my friends come from previously Russian countries such as Georgia and Lithuania, I just wanted to point out that we've seen this happen many times before and it has always gone the same way but at varying intensities.
I am a lithuania, so the whole situation is like seeing bloodshed in my neighboards yard to me. I for one am willing to dedicate some of my possible comfort to survive the sanctions of the russian OIL turnodwon. EU is going quite quickly towards energetic independance, and this year the gas platform in Baltic sea finishes and we have a competing gas market and russia is no longer able to ask extortionate prices for it. Oil is geting less and less relavent as we start finding ways of replacing it and will be phased out. The Russian only power that is natural resource export is going to dwindle down. which may make russia desperate and that means invasion. oh, wait, already happening.

Undomesticated Equine said:
Russians annexed Crimea yes and everybody is losing their minds even though US is invading and robot bombing whatever they damn please but eh that is OOK because they are the bestest country in the world and someone has to be the global policeman i guess. Right?
Actually no, there are plenty of people that are shaming US for breaking international law and attacking Iraq when UN explicitly stated that their "proof" is not a justification. Its just that its not as easy to just cut largest military, politica and economical power in the world off as opposed to a dictatorship regime living in a shell of SSRS.

Risingblade said:
Well then I guess we'll just have to build our own shuttles...armed with guns and powered by freedom.
Is it going to be more than 40 tons of democracy that drives around in iraq?

Ultratwinkie said:
So how can we vilify privatization everywhere else but the ONE place where you SHOULDN'T cut costs? Its nice to whine about bureaucracy but the fact of the matter is that extra money is going to better parts and making sure everything works.
because there is money in space travel.A LOT OF MONEY [www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3kP_40bplQ]. The first people to use space travel for private gains will be first trillionaires.

Meander112

Spiritual Scientific Skeptic
Jan 26, 2010
michael87cn said:
$60 million to send people up to sit around in cramped tubes in space. What a waste of money. Send a dozen people up there and you could feed the entire homeless population of this country on steak for life.
NASA's annual budget is approximately one half of one percent of all taxes collected in a year. You won't end the hunger problem in the USA with that little money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_States

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Antigonius said:
Strazdas said:
I see it as a lesser of two evils.
You got facist Ukrainian government.
You got Facist Russian dictatorship.
I personally think the first one is less evil.
Ugh....can some one tell me WHY are they fascist? Why are the Ukr and Rus governments are fascist? Do they eat children there? Do they call Jewish das untermensch? What have they done, to be called like that?

Or is it like russians think - everything that oppose them = a nazi scum?
fascist
1.a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism.
2.( often initial capital letter ) a member of a fascist movement or party.
3.a person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views

fascism
1.( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
2.( sometimes initial capital letter ) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
3.( initial capital letter ) a political movement that employs the principles and methods of fascism, especially the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922?43.

Pravy Sector, the majority of Ukrainian government is composed of right wing extremist that have proven their discriminational habits before the uprising. they provided the necessary muscle to the movement, which is why they got to take the helm as well. Their speeches make it sound like they are going to persecute russians like Nazis persecuted Jews. One of them even offers 10.000 for every russian caught. thats dollars.

Putin is a de facto dictator that has complete power over russia and is forcibly subpressing criticism to the point of making it illegal. portesting is illegla in russia for example. the opposition are made to be puppets. He also runs massive nationalist propaganda and i could make a case for it being racist to a point as well.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
major_chaos said:
"I propose that the United States delivers its astronauts to the ISS with the help of a trampoline."
So nice to see a government not bend over for American interests for once. Go Russia, best of luck in the Ukraine and fuck western backed regimes in general.

EDIT: quote me if you must, but I wont respond. I'm not touching anything controversial or R&P-esque until my health bar isn't in the danger zone.
heh, danger zone.
This is an issue of concern, and while you certainly are not obligated to elaborate or respond to criticism, I can't help think that you've made a statement without context, and perhaps seek to instigate a conflict.

Your edit seems only to support this line of thought. By not responding, you are free to watch from the sidelines. It just seems like you lack brass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And before this, I was thinking "what could possibly go wrong with outsourcing our space travel to a country we've had a checkered past with?"

Ed130 The Vanguard said:
As opposed to Russian backed ones like Syria.
Some people hate the US so much they don't care who the alternative is.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Antigonius said:
Strazdas said:
fascist
3.a person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views

fascism
1.( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Pravy Sector, the majority of Ukrainian government is composed of right wing extremist that have proven their discriminational habits before the uprising. they provided the necessary muscle to the movement, which is why they got to take the helm as well. Their speeches make it sound like they are going to persecute russians like Nazis persecuted Jews. One of them even offers 10.000 for every russian caught. thats dollars.

Putin is a de facto dictator that has complete power over russia and is forcibly subpressing criticism to the point of making it illegal. portesting is illegla in russia for example. the opposition are made to be puppets. He also runs massive nationalist propaganda and i could make a case for it being racist to a point as well.
So...should I call USA a fascist country, because all their independence was made by basically acts of terrorism and riots? Does this Sector has any influence on the government, like at all? As I remember they murdered one of their leaders in cold blood. + I don't see any proof that they are the majority, and about the bounty

And why is Putin a dictator? There are similar laws and propaganda in EU as well. Doesn't make them a dictator
Pravy Sector has majority of government heads as it is currently. so they are very much in there. the bounty was a comment they made weeks ago, as far as i know noone took it seriuosly yet.

I didnt knew US independance wars was ran by right wing extremists based on supressing opposition and criticism. if that was so then yes, at that time it may have been facist country. altrough we didnt really define the term till WW2 properly.

Putin is de factor dictator (what it in fact is) while de jure he is elected (what he legally is) because there were obviuos tampering with votes to get him elected, so there was no democracy in those elections. He is also controlling the whole country with his current power. thats dictatorship.
EU on the other hand is elected democratically and does not supress criticism. in fact there are some cases as to go and make referendums about it (the UK promised referendum for example). my country is also making a referendum with a question whether to follow EU law on land sale (as if we could not follow EU laws, silly people, but they got the 300.000 signatures to start referendum as per legal requirements). Nor is EU emphasizing agressive nationalism or racism, quite the opposite with the free movement of people and leading the world in equal rights movement.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Antigonius said:
Strazdas said:
Pravy Sector has majority of government heads as it is currently. so they are very much in there. the bounty was a comment they made weeks ago, as far as i know noone took it seriuosly yet.
Proof, or you're pulling things out of your arse.

Strazdas said:
I didnt knew US independance wars was ran by right wing extremists based on supressing opposition and criticism. if that was so then yes, at that time it may have been facist country. altrough we didnt really define the term till WW2 properly.
Well, to the Brits, they totally are/were. + right wing is a funny term, to most people meaning "everything that's opposite to the government". By this line of thinking, every riot in the world was made by fascists.

Strazdas said:
He is also controlling the whole country with his current power. thats dictatorship....
.....(as if we could not follow EU laws, silly people, but they got the 300.000 signatures to start referendum as per legal requirements).
Yep... tooootally not dictatorship. Like at all.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/ukraine/right-sector.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_Sector
Right Sector became a political party on 22 March 2014, at which time it was estimated to have perhaps 10,000 members.[5][6] The group's views have been described by some major publications as right-wing,[7][8] far-right,[9][10] nationalist,[11][12][13] or ultranationalist.[14][15]
also read: http://www.globalresearch.ca/whos-who-in-ukraines-new-semi-fascist-government-meet-the-people-the-u-s-and-eu-are-supporting/5372422

No, right wing is not a funny term. Its a political ideology that in politics is defined as right and is opposite of political ideology that is defined as left. It does not mean what you think it means. And no, not every riot in the world is made by facist, its quite clear you have not doe your research.

As far as our dictatorship. Only if you would consider a rapist crying about dictatorship when he gets arrested. but then, you would still be wrong. we have democratically elected via referendum to join EU and follow their laws. We cannot vreat these laws on a whim just like a robber cannot break the law on a whim.

cpacha: dalek asylum
So now we know what is happening in Ukraine.