Russia Tells U.S. to Use A Trampoline to Send Its Astronauts to the ISS

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Russia Tells U.S. to Use A Trampoline to Send Its Astronauts to the ISS

New sanctions imposed by the U.S. against Russia have prompted Russia to threaten to stop letting the U.S. use its shuttles to transport its astronauts to the International Space Station.

In response to Russia's actions towards Ukraine, NASA suspended contact with Russia in early April, except for matters related to the International Space Station [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133455-NASA-Suspends-Contact-with-Russia-Except-for-the-ISS]. On Monday, the United States imposed a new round of sanctions against Russia, prompting Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin to threaten to stop letting the U.S. make use of its space shuttles.

"The United States introduced sanctions against our space industry... We warned them, we will reply to statements with statements, to actions with actions," Rogozin wrote on Twitter. "I propose that the United States delivers its astronauts to the ISS with the help of a trampoline."

With no active shuttles of its own, the U.S. has relied on Russia to send astronauts to the ISS since 2011. However, given Russia charges a cost of $60 million per person and the industry needs the funding, analysts believe Rogozin's threat to be hollow.

The new sanctions imposed by the U.S. deny export licenses for any high-tech items that could aid Russian military capabilities, including satellites. Russia had planned to launch five commercial satellites this year, contracted by foreign clients; these launches may now be at risk.

"This is a very sensitive issue since our defence industry was completely unprepared for such developments," said Sergei Oznobishchev, director at the Institute for Strategic Assessments think-tank in Moscow. "Both sides will suffer, but Russia will lose out more in terms of technology transfer."

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/29/ukraine-crisis-usa-technology-idUSL6N0NL2XE20140429]

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Lightknight said:
$60 million per person? Methinks SpaceX can do better.
Agreed.

Guess what Russia? This seems like a wonderful opportunity for the US to quickly find a way to not need your services in the future. They have said they want to see a private space sector develop, so here's another golden opportunity.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
"I propose that the United States delivers its astronauts to the ISS with the help of a trampoline."
So nice to see a government not bend over for American interests for once. Go Russia, best of luck in the Ukraine and fuck western backed regimes in general.

EDIT: quote me if you must, but I wont respond. I'm not touching anything controversial or R&P-esque until my health bar isn't in the danger zone.
heh, danger zone.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well, since the US doesn't seem to care much about the space program these days, if they don't find another solution then the American astronauts will be forced to take a long, long vacation.

SpaceX can probably do a better job anyway. They've successfully launched Falcon 9 recently. I watched it live.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
major_chaos said:
"I propose that the United States delivers its astronauts to the ISS with the help of a trampoline."
So nice to see a government not bend over for American interests for once. Go Russia, best of luck in the Ukraine and fuck western backed regimes in general.
Yeah! Fuck those western backed regimes! Not like Russia has it's dick in several countries as well. Not like any country with the power to back it wont start manipulating activities in other countries to suit their own needs.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
$60 million per person? Methinks SpaceX can do better.
They could probably make it cheaper, but theyll probably also kill the passengers.

Seriously, safley getting people into orbit is no joke.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
major_chaos said:
As opposed to Russian backed ones like Syria.

You would think that Russia would think a little, 60 million isn't exactly chump change and they may be the only town for now but once NASA stops faffing about with ORION or a private group like SpaceX comes calling you'll be in the hole.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
major_chaos said:
You want us to live under Putin? Nah, thank you very much. If it happens, you can expect mass murders of anti-Yanukovich protesters. Or something like that.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Oh Syria, thanks for reminding me of another time Russia was actually willing to do the unthinkable and oppose the US.

Mister K said:
You want us to live under Putin? Nah, thank you very much. If it happens, you can expect mass murders of anti-Yanukovich protesters. Or something like that.
Doubtful. Besides its not like the rebel government is adverse to bloodshed.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
major_chaos said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Oh Syria, thanks for reminding me of another time Russia was actually willing to do the unthinkable and oppose the US.
Yes, because chemical weapons makes everything better.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
UH OH! This thread is gonna get all politikal. Lots of people with no real idea about what they're talking about, all voicing their opinions as though it's fact. The internet at it's most pure.

I for one think it's a great idea. How large do you think the trampoline would need to be to launch a shuttle into space?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
major_chaos said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:

Mister K said:
major_chaos said:
You do realize this isn't just American interests right?

The EU are also very much opposed to Russia doing what Russia's doing. And China, traditionally always siding with Russia, is abstaining from votes relating to these issues.

Russia isn't just not bending over to American interests, they're actively attempting to bend over Ukraine for Russian interests.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Yes, because chemical weapons makes everything better.
Because unproven allegations are a great reason to enter yet another pointless war in support of untrustworthy rebels. Diplomacy? Proof? What are you a communist? TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE GO!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Yea our government spends millions toppling the legally elected pro russian government, that would be like if putin personally went to texas to ovethrow the texas governent and put pro russian puppet government in.

The hell putin is not prize winner but obama make putin look like a gdamn elder statesman. And no way in fing hell would any nation let another topple a legally elected governemnt on its borders and not take offense.

American has zero business in ukraine, obama has zero business getting buthurt over putin pushing back. obama is a facist illegal clown, his foreign policy is a joke, his national security is too concered with right wingers as terrorists and loves to help fund islamic terrorists liek the islamic brotherhood. hell they cannot even use the word terrorists with al caida but sure as shit can mention it when talking about tea partiers and people that are sick to death of governemt and tis spying lying stealing and illegal actions.

Obama and his admin also seem bound and determined to set race relations back 30 years as he turns everything into racial stuff to cover his vapid illegal ass. yes obama everyone dislikes you is because your black not because you violated every campaign promise you ever uttered lie every time you open your mouth, and outright break the laws of this nation and your oath of office in short mr obama you and half your admin are guilty of treason and that carries the death penality. but you would call me a terrorist. not bin laden though.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
major_chaos said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:

Mister K said:
If by rebel goverment you mean ones that are in charge of Kiev now, then they don't want bloodshed, but they are too weak and incompetent to do anything useful (at least for now).
If by rebel goverment you mean those ex-cons that are now stirring shit up in the east, then, well, what can I say, whether they want bloodshed or not, they'll do whatever their paying boss tells them. To understand what I mean, read the following (mind, that if you'll answer to this post, I won't be able to nswer to it, because for the next few days I'll be out of town and by the time I'll be able to answer this topic will lose it's relevance).

Anyhow. UA is in really, REALLY bad shape. Major cities can somehow survive, but anything smaller is choked by lack of money,work and jacked-up prices on everything. Oh, and also corruption. Those people, those protesters (be it those, who acted during winter or those that are shooting people in the east now), greater part of them are poor. They are in fact so poor, that they stand on the streets, during cold and heat, rain and snow, for 200-300 hryvna (thats about 20-30 USD) per day. And that is the only source of money they can get, because there is basically nowhere to work for them. I don't mean that ALL of them are such, great many of them are really interested in their future (especially Universities students) but still greater part of them aren't interested in anything but survival.

No matter what would have happened during winter, we would have been f-ed, because it was either this...person, that thought of himself as of king and basically used every single coin of our budget for his own leisure, or those guys that are "running" the country now, who care not about people, but simply want power.
No matter what happens now, we are either under dictator, who lets his ***** rule us as he pleases as long as he gives most of the money to Russia, or those incompetent shmucks that we have now.

What I want is stability in the future. I want to be able to decide the destiny of my country without asking for approval from US, EU or Russia. I want better future. I want my kids to live here and at least be mostly sattisfied with their lives.

But for you, Mr. American, Mr. Oh so high and mighty, it's just a reason to complain about actions of your government, whose only fault was letting people who couldn't afford credits to actually get them. For you, white middle-class young guy, it is just a show. I really, really hope that nothing bad ever happens to your coutry (I mean it, I am not being sarcastic or something), because feeling a potential invader (not like Iraq, or any other coutry that doesn't give two shits about you as long as you don't mess with their affairs) threatening to strike at any moment is... Painful at the very least.