Russia to block Twitter from country over its failure to act to remove banned content.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That is different.

Twitter has to ban illegal content. But it is allowed to ban way more.
and it's trying to argue on the grounds of free speech to stop itself being banned when it's really doesn't care that much for free speech.

..?

what are you looking at that this is a concern?
probably the claims of Russian interference to help Trump steal the election. Which only ever happened in 2016 and nothing at all suspicious could have happened and no country at all could have ever possibly interfered in the 2020 one to help cause a certain outcome.........

A little part of me wishes it were the other way round and Twitter banned Russia - if it would work blocking their bots and troll farms from the rest of the world.
They're very much not the only ones with Troll farms.
I mean in 2016 the USA had at least one paid SuperPAC that was just paid trolls.

You understand that what Russia is doing has nothing to do with Free Speech, right?
yes I do. Twitter does too but they're trying to present it as a free speech issue not a "Yeh we either tacitly endorse this stuff or are too incompetent, lazy and greedy to actually spend the time, money and effort tracking down and banning such content".

No, you don't understand. Russia is pro-Trump and supports the alt right whilst Twitter is deemed as progressive. Therefore Twitter is the enemy, and Russia is the friend.
A number of people got banned from twitter for what were deemed abusive messages directed towards Trump. Other platforms have been hit by the likes of Apple and Google for failure to handle such content (Tumblr was in the past) and yet Twitter has been seen to be getting away with it for years while happily banning people for all kinds of stupid things, but doxxing people has been seen as fine along with things like the illegal content Russia is objecting to.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
probably the claims of Russian interference to help Trump steal the election. Which only ever happened in 2016 and nothing at all suspicious could have happened and no country at all could have ever possibly interfered in the 2020 one to help cause a certain outcome.........
You're really intent on trying to fill Houseman's place, aren't you?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, US Intelligence Agencies have already concluded that Russia did attempt to interfere in the 2020 election. In support of a Trump victory.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why would Iran want Trump to win?
According to the report, Iran attempted to undercut Trump, not support him. Russia did the opposite.

I'd say both motivations are pretty transparent. These aren't subtle despots.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
According to the report, Iran attempted to undercut Trump, not support him. Russia did the opposite.

I'd say both motivations are pretty transparent. These aren't subtle despots.
Not like China who probably would funnel their funds through a few shell corporations first.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
yes I do. Twitter does too but they're trying to present it as a free speech issue not a "Yeh we either tacitly endorse this stuff or are too incompetent, lazy and greedy to actually spend the time, money and effort tracking down and banning such content".
Yeah, this has got nothing to do with that either...

Russia wants Twitter to help them lock up political dissidents. Russia is going full China

Edit: Just to be clear. No, I don't think Twitter was about Free Speech

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Or like Russia using the NRA...
Which I presume as you're suggesting this did happen you have some evidence to present?

Yeah, this has got nothing to do with that either...

Russia wants Twitter to help them lock up political dissidents. Russia is going full China

Edit: Just to be clear. No, I don't think Twitter was about Free Speech
oh yeh, most likely but in this case they're pointing to some legitimate issues Twitter also has as a means to punish it

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Every country should block twitter and facebook. Social media in general has only made people dumber.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Which I presume as you're suggesting this did happen you have some evidence to present?
Oh, the horror of 10 seconds of googling...

Again, why are you so intent on commenting on a foreign country's politics when you are so ignorant about them?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Meanwhile, frozen peach advocates are quickly moving their content from Amazon Servers to Russia Located Servers because of their fear of censorship.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The only way to stop a Cold War is to win it, and the only way to end an arms race is to beat the other side.