Russia Wins World Cosplay Summit Championship

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Russia Wins World Cosplay Summit Championship

<youtube=KZVQlFXA9WU>​
Team Russia was crowned the 2014 champion of cosplay at this year's World Cosplay Summit held in Nagoya, Japan.

Two cosplayers from Russia won the World Cosplay Summit on Saturday in Nagoya, Japan out of 26 countries competing.

Since its inception in 2003, the World Cosplay Summit is an annual international cosplay competition set up to promote international exchange. Leading up to the summit, teams compete within their own countries at events and conventions in preliminaries to be chosen as that country's cosplay representatives. The WCS is a one-week event where representatives visit different cities in Japan, participate in a parade in their costumes, and then compete in a cosplay championship. Each team comprises two cosplayers.

Nek and Nichi of WCS Team Russia 2014 [https://www.facebook.com/wcs.russia.2014] took first place as Link and Puppet Zelda from Legend of Zelda. Check out their costumes for WCS, as well as some of their other costumes.

[gallery=2959]

Competitors participating in the summit bring three costumes: one for the parade, one for the championship, and one for appearances in the media. Team costumes for the championship must be from the same series, but costumes for other events do not need to be coordinated. Not only do costumes need to be well made, but teams must also give a performance in their costumes for the cosplay championship.

Team Italy won second place, Team Indonesia won third place, Team South Korea won the audience award, Team Spain won the award for best wig, Team Mexico won the live cast audience vote, and Brother Industries gave their special award for best costume to Team Denmark.

Source: neko-tin [http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2014/08/03/entertainment-news/russians-crowned-world-cosplay-champions-nagoya-tourney/#.U9-RtYBdW2B]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Very nice costumes, but I dislike that you made me look up what Puppet Zelda is about.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Twilight Princess confirmed to have the best cosplay material.

Seriously, though, nice job and dedication on their parts (and the other contenders even though I didn't see them).

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow... quite impressive. They certainly put a lot of time and effort into this one. Now I'm curious to see what the runners up were like...