Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
stroopwafel said:
The article make him sound more important than he really is. Russia has like 10 deputy DoD ministers and this is just the usual superstitious nonsense. It's probably Skull Face's origin in MGS5 that set some bad blood by him being a Soviet assassin who killed Stalin then defected to the west. Also Venom aiding the Mujahideen and the peculiarities of spetznaz commanders(burn the village, not the people) in MGS5's Afhanistan map or Skull Face's support of the anti-Soviet/pro-Mobutu Unita rebels in the Congo/Zaire map probably also didn't do much good. I have to give Kojima credit he seems pretty well read when it comes to post-WW2 international relations. And Russia is very sensitive with their history and see a conspiracy even in fiction that brings it into question. Instead of Skull Face being, you know, just a product of the imagination of an aging Japanese hipster.
Though that still makes Skull Face a CIA agent who then went rogue to do his own thing to re-ally with the soviets to build his WEAPON TO SURPASS METAL GEAR.

And then there's the entiretly of Peace Walker, where the plot invovle the CIA invading a small, unarmed central American Country to use as a test bed for what was essentially the first Metal Gear and a CIA agent almost started WW3 by ordering a nuclear strike on Cuba to prove his "ultimate deterrence" worked, stopped only by a mercenary who left the USA behind.

But man, the Russians are chapped about such things.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Russian army dude must have not finished mgs4 then cause it has a scathing critique of the American military with things like treating fps games like training and teaching soldiers to see war as a game. (Incidentally, someone on tv said war is a video game where robots fight other robots with regards to a potential war with Iran just a few weeks ago, so MGS is indeed a very prescient series, I can see why people would be confused, thing is mgs4 came out over a decade ago and it's just antiwar in general no matter who does it)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Dreiko said:
Russian army dude must have not finished mgs4 then cause it has a scathing critique of the American military with things like treating fps games like training and teaching soldiers to see war as a game. (Incidentally, someone on tv said war is a video game where robots fight other robots with regards to a potential war with Iran just a few weeks ago, so MGS is indeed a very prescient series, I can see why people would be confused, thing is mgs4 came out over a decade ago and it's just antiwar in general no matter who does it)
Thanks for getting there first; I was just about to mention that one part in Eva?s speech [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDbGcLSiYYk&t=642s]. Being the 4th tomorrow and the fact I?ll probably finish Mafia 3?s story tonight, I?ve been contemplating booting up my new digital copy of MGS4 for another play through. It?s been nearly 11 years since I first acquired the BB emblem and might take another crack at it for some nostalgic trophy hunting. Also am interested in the contrast of gameplay between it and MGSV; especially CQC.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Dreiko said:
Well, MGS2 had a scene where the US president grabbed someone in the crotch. And then there's the whole speech about people retreating into their own gated communities online so they don't have to feel threatened.

Kinda amazing the kind of stuff Kojima has gotten right.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Aiddon said:
Nobody tell him it's made by a Japanese company
Judging by how clueless this man is about video games he probably thinks the Metal Gear Solid games are on the NES

(There were Metal Gear games on the NES but not Metal Gear Solid games)

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hmm hear about it on your sons facebook and google a couple of Metal Gear scenes out of context did you minister?

It boggles my mind how these idiots get the jobs you should have to be among the most qualified people to ever get.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Russia's just afraid that their population's going to start using nanomachines.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
MrCalavera said:
Kojima was a CIA agent all along. Makes sense, since he's such a giant westaboo.

Squilookle said:
Wrong target. Should have gone for COD, America's Army, and Ghost Recon instead.
America's Army sure. But you could replace other two with any Michael Bay movie or [Put Tom Clancy's IP here].
Yes.

Yes you could.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dalisclock said:
Kinda amazing the kind of stuff Kojima has gotten right.
Where's my mech with organic legs Kojima? Where's my nanomachines?

WHERE?!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Fieldy409 said:
Hmm hear about it on your sons facebook and google a couple of Metal Gear scenes out of context did you minister?

It boggles my mind how these idiots get the jobs you should have to be among the most qualified people to ever get.
"The people of Russia declare Metal Gears and their evil master Big Boss the enemy of the people of Russia! We also dislike Skull Face and Ocelot, who are ringleaders of the gangsters Big Boss Outer Heaven"

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Fieldy409 said:

"The people of Russia declare Metal Gears and their evil master Big Boss the enemy of the people of Russia! We also dislike Skull Face and Ocelot, who are ringleaders of the gangsters Big Boss Outer Heaven"
Russia denounces the patriots!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Maybe because the U.S. is already more than halfway to being lead by Senator Armstrong

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nuuu said:
Maybe because the U.S. is already more than halfway to being lead by Senator Armstrong

Senator Armstong is smarter Trump. If he were to exist in our world or Trump to exists in the MGS universe, Armstrong would treat him as a stepping stone with some extra cash nothing more. Once Armstrong would have got we wanted, he had no more use of him. Good luck with Trump surviving a survival-of-the-fittest, 24/7 lockdown, purge type future. He'd high tail out of here on the nearest plane to the other side of the continent while acting some tough guy from the other side of the world.