Russian Parents Call for Putin to Ban Death Note

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Dude, the whole point of Death Note was staying alive. With Light goin' around knocking people off once he knew their names, all the people I was rooting for didn't have a chance to even think about ending their own lives. And if I only had the first four volumes, I'd hold off the journey of no return until I'd finished the series.

By the way, is there any good manga like Death Note? I enjoyed it immensely, but I don't really talk to the person who recommended it to me any more.
I'd recommend Code Geass after that, although I've never read the manga, it has similar themes with a better received protagonist, but with far more tropes of the medium. If anything I use it to ease people into other stuff after Death Note by showing them tropes don't ruin everything, and that there's a way to do tropes well.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Anime causing suicide? Preposterous. Death Note especially. It isn't even about suicide.

Now watching some of the Naruto Filler arcs on the other hand...

I'm fortunate I suppose as my parents understand me watching anime a bit as my Dad really liked Spirited Away when it came out and is a bit of a mini-Ghibli fan. Though if they knew how much I watch I think they might think I'm a nutter.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Res Plus said:
Lieju said:
It's far from works like Romeo and Juliet where suicide is glorified.
Hang on, I am not sure Romeo and Juliet glorifies suicide? They are both victims of bad luck and implacable hate between families. It's basically a rewrite of Pyramus and Thesbe.
Doomed lovers, who can only be together in death? Their families tell them they can't be together, so they kill themselves and then everyone feels bad for them?

It's all very romanticized, especially the way it's often referred to as a great love story.

BeoW0lfe

Jan 31, 2013
Well, I loved mass effect so i guess i have to go fuck aliens and men.
I liked sword art online, so i'm off to make an online death game.
I like avatar so the big fire must have been me firebending.
Need i continue?

Death Note does nothing but provide a power fantasy for intellectuals over other people. Death is not romanticized, and all the suicide victims were VICTIMS.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Damnit! Why couldn't they have found the Twilight Saga amongst her possessions?
sad thing is that whould be an easier target
as bela trying to kill herself is kinda a thing in the books