Russian Parents Call for Putin to Ban Death Note

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
First, we ban Death Note...

AND THEN WE BAN ALL TEH SILLY JAPANESE THINGS!

OT: Kinda silly if you ask me. Now, Death Note does have a lot of dark subject matter, but an entire ban on the whole series and all of its incarnations is just plain dumb. Maybe we should just put some focus on teen depression counselling and see if that helps. I'm sure it would, even if it was just by a small margin.

Seriously, Russia. Get on dat shit.

Also, kind of happy it wasn't a video game getting scapegoated this time. It's a nice change of pace.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Great, another example of mindless mob mentality at work (sometimes, I don't want to live on this planet any more).

The issue is that many want an easy answer out of a problem

Gun violence and school massacres are up?!?! How about instead of asking the tough questions about firearm legislation, the social climate of public schools, and the degrading mental health care system, we just say GAMES DID IT and call it a day?

Here's a thought, maybe the teenagers are committing suicide because the country is so messed up that they may not have a future at all; fix the country and suicides miraculously go down. But no, we must not spend any money on actual issues and just blame the easy targets.

This illogical tendency towards simplicity of answers was why society is gridlocked between political and cultural extremes.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Keoul said:
Still can't believe they're blaming death note. Was there any proof at all that the two were related? Sure she owned a copy but she also owns a bed and a chair should we ban those as well? Jeez I wonder if these parents even know their kids, if they really truly believe a manga is what drove their child to suicide you really wonder if they actually cared for their kid.
Are you kidding? It took a police squad to notice that she had a couple of Japanese books in her room. Now, I'm not saying that parents should know absolutely everything about their kids, and there's no reason that she couldn't have hidden them, but still! It still makes it sound like they needed the authorities to find out what their kid's interests were.

Anyway, this whole thing is ridiculous. Death Note is about a gifted kid killing 'bad' people with a magical notebook. I would have understood if the girl had gone around murdering people she thought was evil (not that that would legitimize the blame either, because that still suggests she had problems in the first place rather than the book sending a perfectly fine girl off the edge), but suicide? Apart from a few plot points (oh all right, the book makes a few people's deaths look like suicides), there's no elements of suicidal actions or thoughts. So I don't buy that the police 'investigated' it; after all, 'deathnote' could easily be interpreted as meaning a suicide note. As per usual, this is all about blaming the media and ignoring the real problems that would take actual effort to fix.

Btw, she jumped off the 13th floor? Of her HOME? That's quite a house.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
I'm too gonna play devil's advocate here for a bit and throw in the Werther effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werther_effect], named after Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther (the publication of which was followed by a wave of youth suicides). Basically, reading or hearing about a real or fictional suicide can inspire already suicidal people to go through with a suicide attempt. This effect is the reason news reporting about suicides (at least in Germany, no idea about other countries) should be avoided according to the press code, and in the case of high profile cases should be minimal and not focus on the suicide itself.
Now, I have no idea if Death Note has any suicides in it, but I'm guessing not... so this is still dumb.

Edit: Just for the record, I'm also not in favor of banning fictional works if they contained suicide (even in a romanticized context), that is and should be covered by freedom of expression and freedom of the arts.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
You know, I think we can do a lot better than banning Death Note. Just...ban death outright. That's it, no more suicides, no more homicides, no more death.

...and if you do commit death you'll be imprisoned for life.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Gmans uncle said:
This is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard, this isn't just scapegoating, it's scapegoating without a damn shred of cohesive logic. There's nary even a mention of suicide in all of Deathnote, save a handful of Lights kills, and plot points I won't spoil for you here. Fortunately I don't think Putin is crazy enough to buy into the blatherings of these lunatics, but then again South Park is still banned in Russia to my knowledge, and I've been proven wrong before...
Light does use the Death Note to make people kill themselves, though. And it's stated that suicide is something that is a natural behaviour for any human (as you can't make a human do something that they'd never do on their own).

This logic is still, or course BS.

Even if she committed suicide partially because of that, she obviously had some other issues, Death Note isn't making people commit suicide.
(And you might as well make the argument that just as well it might make some suicidal people rethink killing themselves, by depicting suicide as something undesirable and unglorious)

Subatomic said:
I'm too gonna play devil's advocate here for a bit and throw in the Werther effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werther_effect], named after Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther (the publication of which was followed by a wave of youth suicides). Basically, reading or hearing about a real or fictional suicide can inspire already suicidal people to go through with a suicide attempt. This effect is the reason news reporting about suicides (at least in Germany, no idea about other countries) should be avoided according to the press code, and in the case of high profile cases should be minimal and not focus on the suicide itself.
Now, I have no idea if Death Note has any suicides in it, but I'm guessing not... so this is still dumb.

Edit: Just for the record, I'm also not in favor of banning fictional works if they contained suicide (even in a romanticized context), that is and should be covered by freedom of expression and freedom of the arts.
Death Note would then probably have the opposite effect. Suicide in the series (which is kinda more like murder by mind-control) is not romanticized, and the people committing it are victims and inconsequential.

It's far from works like Romeo and Juliet where suicide is glorified.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe these are all those gay teens who aren't allowed to be gay untill they're 16 to 18 years old.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Death Note was writing other peoples names in a book and having them die. Suicide is rather different than that. Which I still hate, as my mother killed herself....

Suicide is against everything this book was ever made for in the series. It's supposed to be a tool for murder for goodness sake. Bah, it's just annoying when people not only demonize something, but screw up demonizing it.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
The reason's for suicide are much more deeper and part of the human psyche than they realise,it's can be the because it the last and only way to remove the pain they feel-the only way to escape a world that is/seems to be nothing but hostile and putrid-even the cause of a chemical imbalance in the brain that result in swallowed in negative emotion.

At worse an Manga/Anime can be a trigger-the straw that broke the camel's back as it were,however anything can be a trigger-tripping-an insult-newspaper headlines-trying to stop or ban a trigger is absurd and impossible instead the cause is what is needed to be looked at and dealt with-Blaming the trigger is simply using a scapegoat instead of facing the truth.

To claim that manga/anime is to blame for suicide is an insult to not only all those who commit suicide but to all those that attempt and consider it. In fact the anime evangelion-considered one of the more dark depressing anime-helped prevent me from committing suicide as I could relate to the main character,and the message at the end and how he endured inspired me so before you blame it think twice.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I wonder what colour her bedroom is. Whatever it may be, we should ban that colour.

Think about it - she see's this colour all the time. It must be why she killed herself. What's that? Green you say? Alright then - BAN THE COLOUR GREEN!!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mimsofthedawg said:
But you're also assuming that Manga is looked down upon the same way in Russia as it is in the States. It might not be.

At any rate, it's sad that people want to blame everything BUT the real problem. The real problem lies in the mirror.
Actually it might be even worse than in US
Because for a most part those are parents who makes your life miserable for liking things like computer games, anime, comics, some types of music, etc.
Parents want you to be "like everybody else", their favorite pastime is to compare you to some boring example of miserable existence (usually other kids from your surrounding)
I'm 25 and I think my parents would get hearth attack if they knew that I like certain things
I still remember all the crap I got from my mother when she noticed me reading Asimov's Steel Caverns (I was stupid enough to actually explain her the general story of the book)
I don't live in Russia, but I'm pretty sure local mentality is close to one of citizens of Russia

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Maybe her name was written in the death notebook?

On a slightly more serious note, can't we just ban ignorant people that think stuff like this is actually true? That would probably cut all the worlds problems in half.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009

I'm completely lost here. Cases like these aren't uncommon, and I usually just dismiss them with "lol teh world". But this case is particularly puzzling, since there doesn't seem to be anything that could even be interpreted as a link between the manga and the suicide. The girl apparently didn't do anything that resembled anything in the manga, nor was she even apparently a big fan, owning only four volumes and whatnot. What the fuck is going to happen next? Somebody shoots themselves, and they find an empty tuna can in his apartment? BAN THE TUNA IT IS EVIL AND KILLS PEOPLE!!!

Usually these cases are just a case of the idiotsies, but this is just plain nuts.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Oh come on! Go ahead Putin, why don't you just ban having fun because that leads to an increased risk in death?
I wonder what we'll be complaining about when out generation reaches their age though...
As for Death Note, only started reading it recently as my forage into manga and I'm loving it. Nor have I noticed any increase in my suicidal tendencies, if anything the fact I have now found a great series inclines me to live long enough to find more.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The banned doesn't suprise me as this isn't the first Death Note ban (I think it was China and other places in Asia had banned the manga aswell).
Also reading some of the people comment, lol! You fraided cats! While it was awesome to see an CGI Ryuk in the lived action film but he still look very fake looking, ok granted a image is different compared to video buy still. This may help you conquer your fear-