Russian Scientist Says There's Life on Venus

Cody Holden

May 4, 2011
spectrenihlus said:
Isn't Venus's day length longer than it's year meaning one side is basically super hot and the other super cold, therefore it would be way to cold and hot at the same time for life (even for extremophiles) to exist Or am I completely wrong on this.
Going to wikipedia and verifying this seems like more work than I feel like doing at the moment, but I believe that's Mercury.

That said, Venus is definitely still too hot for extremophiles.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Venus is the closest place to hell in our solar system. Even if something was alive down there - and considering where life exists in parts of our planet, I'm not ruling it out - we wouldn't be able to get near it to take photos as detailed as the image of a scorpion, so I'm a little skeptical about this claim.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Cody Holden said:
spectrenihlus said:
Isn't Venus's day length longer than it's year meaning one side is basically super hot and the other super cold, therefore it would be way to cold and hot at the same time for life (even for extremophiles) to exist Or am I completely wrong on this.
Going to wikipedia and verifying this seems like more work than I feel like doing at the moment, but I believe that's Mercury.

That said, Venus is definitely still too hot for extremophiles.
You're both correct:

"Venus is the second planet from the Sun, orbiting it every 224.7 Earth days"

"All the planets of the Solar System orbit in a counter-clockwise direction as viewed from above the Sun's north pole: most planets also rotate counter-clockwise but Venus rotates clockwise (called "retrograde" rotation) once every 243 Earth days?by far the slowest rotation period of any major planet."

And yes the article does say that Venus is rotating opposite of how most of the planets rotate.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Why didn't you put the "Source: Times of India" at the TOP of the article? Then I wouldn't have bothered to read whatever sensationalist hobgubbins Indian journalists spew out.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Okay, I'm sorry, but could it maybe be that there is some group of trolls calling themselves "Russian scientists" who constantly come up with stupid things they feed to news outlets? There have been roughly a dozen articles like this ("Russian scientists claim to have evidence for Yeti's existence" or something along those lines, for example) over the past couple of months and I refuse to believe that such people are called scientists and that Russia has such a large population of them.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The problem with searching for life in the universe is that we search for things that that are like the life on earth.
Something that needs O2 and H2O, carbon based.

It is highly possible that if we find a life form that doesn't fit that description, we would just overlook it.

And another problem is that journalists will write "Scientist says" in front of everything that they like so that it looks better and has "credibility".

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Revnak said:
Don't you need some kind of stable fluid to support life? What is he postulating this fluid is? Fucking battery acid? And the atmosphere there is crazy reactive. Whatever the fuck could survive that. it certainly shouldn't be allowed to exist within my universe. I say we nuke Venus from orbit just to make sure.
Well a lifeform (i dont know what kind) was discovered on earth that uses deadly arsenic in its systems in place of where literally everything else uses phosphorus, and a slug at the bottom of the ocean that, for lack of better words, is made of metal.

Natrual selection and evolution can pull some crazy shit anywhere given the right conditions.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
The problem with searching for life in the universe is that we search for things that that are like the life on earth.
Something that needs O2 and H2O.

It is highly possible that if we find a life form that doesn't fit that description, we would just overlook it.

And another problem is that journalists will write "Scientist says" in front of everything that they like so that it looks better and has "credibility".
Finally. Somebody else with that sentiment. Our only example of life is life on Earth...which could be totally unique. Perhaps it's not a 'perfect mix' of temperature and environment, we simply evolved out of what we were given, whereas the acid clouds of Venus are actually capable of supporting life. Not saying that they are, but it's definitely a ridiculous idea to just dismiss all possibility of life on non-Earth planets simply because 'science says it's impossible'.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Russia is a superpower isn't it, how can they afford a fucking space probe but not an HD color camera to put on it?

EDIT: It has come to my attention that these pictures were in fact taken in the 1980's.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I think the title here is very misleading. "Russian Scientist says there could be life on Venus" would be more appropriate and journalistically correct.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Something that needs O2 and H2O, carbon based.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. One has to remember that ours is not necessarily the standard for all life forms. In theory life could develop just about anywhere, all it really needs is a means to sustain itself and a means to reproduce. All that's needed is the right conditions for life to form on the first place, the rest is just a matter of adapting to the given environment. Now what those conditions are remains a mystery, esp considering ours is not the standard for life forms.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
LarenzoAOG said:
Russia is a superpower isn't it, how can they afford a fucking space probe but not an HD color camera to put on it?
Because the pictures where taken like... 30 years ago?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
"Lets forget all the reasons that there can't be life on Venus and think about the possibility of life on MarsVenus."

I think Mr. Scientist needs to stay out of the vodka.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Greg Tito said:
I think Ksanfomaliti is definitely bold for suggesting there could be life under those acidic clouds perfectly adapted to high temperatures and poisonous atmosphere but the thought experiment is more fiction than science. I once imagined that Venus was the birth place of the human race and we barely escaped the ecological disaster there to colonize Earth, but I was ten.
Well, In Star Trek, The Planet Vulcan is extremely similar to Venus.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Because the pictures where taken like... 30 years ago?
In that case why did anyone wait 30 years to give a shit?

blipblop

May 21, 2009
I´m gonna guess that disc shaped object aint from some angry plate tossing alien or a left over from the ultimate space frisbee olympics but probably just som crap from the spacecraft

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
LarenzoAOG said:
The cost of a time machine to get a decent camera from the future were probably too much to bear for 1982's Soviet Union...

blipblop

May 21, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
LarenzoAOG said:
The cost of a time machine to get a decent camera from the future were probably too much to bear for 1982's Soviet Union...
oh russia how hard is it realy to get a dolorian up to 88mph

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Mr.Mattress said:
As an old saying goes, Russia: "Pics or it didn't happen". However, it would be cool if they do provide evidence and it looks authentic.
In Soviet Russia, pictures take YOU!
<spoiler= Scorpion>http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/23/article-2090556-116B1ED7000005DC-411_468x396.jpg<spoiler= Disc>http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/23/article-2090556-116BEFC9000005DC-454_468x286.jpg
By the way, I do NOT recommend searching "probe Venus 13" with SafeSearch off.
Okay, the first one looks absolutely stupid. A scorpion? If I didn't know better, I'd say that was an amoeba under a crappy microscope.

As for the disc, I will admit that kinda looks interesting. T disc kinda looks like a weird crab to me. Then again, whenever pictures like these show up, everyone tends to treat them like a game of charades. Might be debris from the module itself.