RWBY Japanese voice cast trailer

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
For anyone who even cares about this western attempt at anime that got popular over the ocean, a trailer for the Japanese dub of RWBY has been released.

In addition, other characters have been given voice actors
-Hiro Shimono as Jaune
-Aya Suzuki as Nora
-Megumi Toyoguchi as Pyrrha
-Sōma Saitō as Ren
-Kazuhiko Inoue a Ozpin
-Masumi Asano as Glynda
-Subaru Kimura as Cardin
-Megumi Han as Penny
-Shinichiro Miki as Roman

my thoughts:
-Ruby sounds a little too mature for her charcter, there are still signs of naivete in her voice but not much
-Weiss sounds like the Ojou that I thought she was going to be
-Blake still sounds bland to me. I know that's the intent but it's still too flat for it's own good
-Yang is basically Matoi Ryoko
-So Shinichiro Miki (Urahara Kisuke and Lockon Stratos) and Aya Suzuki (Mankanshoku Mako) are in this? odd but i'm amused
- As a Blazblue fan, I'm surprised that Kondou Kanako (Mu-12, Nu-13, Noel Vermilion) is not playing Penny, would fit perfectly but that's me playing conjecture due the similarities in design

Any thoughts?

P.S. Just to head this off,the reason i'm still invested in this project despite my known distaste for the show is that a part of me wants to like this. It was Monty Oum being allowed to make a show inspired by the things he loves but it's just too problematic

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
It just seems so surreal to me, one part because it's an American web series, the other because I've actually met a few of the people involved with/in it (Barbra, Kerry, and Monty [Michael as well, but that was before RWBY was announced]).

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
So the big question is: Will people insist that you need to watch it with the Japanese dub?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
From a fan perspective.
Great, I'm happy that Rooster Teeth is expanding their operations, and I will be happy if they get bigger in the future.
Especially considering that this is Monty's last work, and I'm glad they are honouring him.

From a judging perspective.
The voices sound good, in fact, better than the original. I can't say that with all of my power though, because I haven't heard of all of the characters. Still, good. Also, did... Did Yang just say "ORA, ORA, ORA!"? Okay, strange, but I get why. It sounds like the good kind of cool.

From my harsh, unrelated, professional perspective.
I still can't get over the writing, yet I'm probably going to watch the next volume because I'm a fan.

Fuck. RT still has that signature charm.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Queen Michael said:
So the big question is: Will people insist that you need to watch it with the Japanese dub?
That only works when the original is in Japanese, so I don't think so.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Queen Michael said:
People have already demanded the "superior" Japanese dub long before the concept of a Japanese dub was even thought up.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Queen Michael said:
God, I hope, with all my heart, that some shlub out there will stumble upon this in Japanese, think it's the greatest thing ever, and show it off to someone who's a RT fan saying "See? Japan has all the coolest stuff. You won't find shit like this in America! DESU!"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
StormShaun said:
From a fan perspective.
Also, did... Did Yang just say "ORA, ORA, ORA!"? Okay, strange, but I get why. It sounds like the good kind of cool.
I notice that too! Greant now I want to see Jojo Yang fanarts!

Overall I am fine with the dub (I mean sure think Ruby should of sound younger like squeky young like some anime character and Yang being more flity but I'm not too bother with it) despite I don't really paid attention to the Asian actor/ actress that voices the anime characters.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Queen Michael said:
Pretty likely considering that the Japanese version features well known professional voice actors as opposed to the mostly unknown amateurs from the English version, which is fine I guess, I might rewatch in Japanese despite not really liking it because the cast is most definitely interesting.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I...might actually watch more than the first episode now.

Loved Monty and the RT crew, but the VAs just made it- I dunno, you could tell they were amateurs. Which is fine! Everybody has to start somewhere and I think they did really well, I just couldn't watch it as a 'serious' show.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Queen Michael said:
Honestly, you'd be surprised at people;

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Queen Michael said:
People have already demanded the "superior" Japanese dub long before the concept of a Japanese dub was even thought up.
Sure, because any version featuring actual VAs is inherently superior to the mostly atrocious original voice cast.

But really, when you're making All the Worst Shounen Tropes: The Series you lose any right to complain about people thinking your series was actually Japanese. Because it really kind of is. RWBY is like an HD version of those old wapanese series on Newgrounds where they traced over 3 scenes of Goku vs Vegeta, slightly altered the hair styles and called it Dragonmaster X.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Now it's actually watchable. I watched one or two episodes of RWBY with the original dub and it was just atrocious. And I typically prefer the english dubbing.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Well I think the Japanese cast sounds great from the trailer. Ruby does sound a little older but honestly that is the kinda voice that is associated with the "earnest, shounen heroine" in Japan which Ruby kinda is. Yang got Ami Koshimizu? Well if you wanted hot blood, you got it. I am hoping to hear Megumi Toyoguchi's lower register for Phyrra much like her Revy (Black Lagoon) voice. I wonder if they can break the bank for Cinder Fall and get Kikuko Inuoe? She does a great evil villain voice despite being forever 17.

captcha: best seller
We can only hope captcha, we can only hope.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Even though I don't know what they're saying, I liked how the introductory moments for each character boiled down to...
Ruby: Talking
Weiss: Talking
Blake: Serious talking
Yang: ORAORAORAORAORAORA!!!!!

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Ah, internet. You never cease to amaze me.

On to the trailer-

Ruby: Too old. I feel like she's shonen protagonist stupid instead of childishly naive. Should've gotten Aoi Yuki or something. Someone who can pull off innocence.

Weiss: Yoko Hikasa? Really? She cannot -and has never been able to- play a girl who's generally bitchy, and this is no different. I refuse to believe this Weiss has a stick up her ass. Go back and try again, Japan.

Blake: Too bored, not enough emotionally distant. It might've been bad timing but I actually yawned at this one. This is where Yoko Hikasa should've been.

Yang: ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA! ORAA!!! -Okay, seriously. Yeah, not deep enough and I don't think the actress can do the lighthearted and gentle scenes Yang has. But anything JoJo related gets a pass from me.

Josh123914 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Queen Michael said:
Honestly, you'd be surprised at people;
That's not surprising. Infuriating, hilarious, sad, but not surprising.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Xpwn3ntial said:
Ah, internet. You never cease to amaze me.

On to the trailer-

Ruby: Too old. I feel like she's shonen protagonist stupid instead of childishly naive. Should've gotten Aoi Yuki or something. Someone who can pull off innocence.

Weiss: Yoko Hikasa? Really? She cannot -and has never been able to- play a girl who's generally bitchy, and this is no different. I refuse to believe this Weiss has a stick up her ass. Go back and try again, Japan.

Blake: Too bored, not enough emotionally distant. It might've been bad timing but I actually yawned at this one. This is where Yoko Hikasa should've been.

Yang: ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA! ORAA!!! -Okay, seriously. Yeah, not deep enough and I don't think the actress can do the lighthearted and gentle scenes Yang has. But anything JoJo related gets a pass from me.
To address in order:
-I agree with Ruby but this is one of the rising VAs so they probably wanted her for popularity
-Personally, I think Hikasa works because they are going for the Ojou san voice which I think fits her character
-Yeah, Blake will always be a problematic character to voice but this is a good effort
-Ami Koshimizu, Yang's VA, is actually quite talented, I will put faith in her doing the lighthearted scenes since she managed to pull it off in Kill la Kill(Matou Ryoko) and Persona 4 (Yukiko Amagi)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Queen Michael said:
To be fair, this is one case where you can actually make a case for the Japanese dubs because, to me, the American dub is not even passable with either overly flat performances or voices that don't fit, Weiss's in particular.

Still, i will call bullshit when it's used to disparage all American attempts at anime because it's both idiotic and not progressive to the arts.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Queen Michael said:
To be fair, this is one case where you can actually make a case for the Japanese dubs because, to me, the American dub is not even passable with either overly flat performances or voices that don't fit, Weiss's in particular.

Still, i will call bullshit when it's used to disparage all American attempts at anime because it's both idiotic and not progressive to the arts.
Maybe, but let's reverse things here. If this was originally Japanese, and that dub exactly the same quality as Rooster Teeth, how many people would say the hypothetical Bang Zoom (because this is right up their alley) dub is bad despite being at least passable? Let's do a headcount: not me. Well, that was fast. It's not about quality, it's about plain-faced favoritism.

To address in order:
-I agree with Ruby but this is one of the rising VAs so they probably wanted her for popularity
-Personally, I think Hikasa works because they are going for the Ojou san voice which I think fits her character
-Yeah, Blake will always be a problematic character to voice but this is a good effort
-Ami Koshimizu, Yang's VA, is actually quite talented, I will put faith in her doing the lighthearted scenes since she managed to pull it off in Kill la Kill(Matou Ryoko) and Persona 4 (Yukiko Amagi)
Last I checked, Saori Hayame is pretty well-established. I'm guessing they couldn't get other actresses like Yui Horie or Rie Tanaka due to scheduling conflicts. Or they wanted the obvious "girl with scythe" bit she's already done in The World God Only Knows.

Weiss doesn't have a posh laugh or carry herself like a lady, she's not an ojou. Rich, but not an ojou.[footnote]Prediction: Winter is an ojou complete with posh laugh[/footnote] Hikasa lacks the capacity to play a girl with a stick up her ass. Until this changes, she is the wrong choice. The closest she's ever come is playing Hoki in Infinite Stratos and even that was a mediocre performance at best. The writing wasn't doing her any favors there, and it won't in RWBY either. Again, I'm guessing scheduling conflicts made people like Rie Kugimiya or Asami Imai unavailable.

No excuses. This is the "rising VA star power" you were talking about. It's not about ability, they're capitalizing on her role from Attack on Titan and nothing else. Makes perfect sense, too. Blake's the detached, dark-haired, ninja girl with a katana and freakin' grapple line. Have Annie Leonhart play her and the Japanese fanbase will eat that shit up.

I know about her role in Kill la Kill. But she hasn't done anything to lead me to believe she can handle gentle roles. Chill maybe, but not gentle. That's fully 1/2 of the performance and we have no idea how that will go. It's been a while since I played Persona 4, but I recall she had no idea what she was doing (which is fine, that was seven years ago).

Huh. This all came across as more negative than I wanted it to.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Xpwn3ntial said:
Izanagi009 said:
Queen Michael said:

Maybe, but let's reverse things here. If this was originally Japanese, and that dub exactly the same quality as Rooster Teeth, how many people would say the hypothetical Bang Zoom (because this is right up their alley) dub is bad despite being at least passable? Let's do a headcount: not me. Well, that was fast. It's not about quality, it's about plain-faced favoritism.
Okay, I can understand, I'm still learning how to evaluate Japanese and English dubs so most Jap dubs just sound a bit better to me though that might be because of bad 4Kids experiences. Regardless, I don't watch English dubs because of preference but I'm sure I could like a few of them like Bacanno's
To address in order:
Last I checked, Saori Hayame is pretty well-established. I'm guessing they couldn't get other actresses like Yui Horie or Rie Tanaka due to scheduling conflicts. Or they wanted the obvious "girl with scythe" bit she's already done in The World God Only Knows.

Weiss doesn't have a posh laugh or carry herself like a lady, she's not an ojou. Rich, but not an ojou.[footnote]Prediction: Winter is an ojou complete with posh laugh[/footnote] Hikasa lacks the capacity to play a girl with a stick up her ass. Until this changes, she is the wrong choice. The closest she's ever come is playing Hoki in Infinite Stratos and even that was a mediocre performance at best. The writing wasn't doing her any favors there, and it won't in RWBY either. Again, I'm guessing scheduling conflicts made people like Rie Kugimiya or Asami Imai unavailable.

No excuses. This is the "rising VA star power" you were talking about. It's not about ability, they're capitalizing on her role from Attack on Titan and nothing else. Makes perfect sense, too. Blake's the detached, dark-haired, ninja girl with a katana and freakin' grapple line. Have Annie Leonhart play her and the Japanese fanbase will eat that shit up.

I know about her role in Kill la Kill. But she hasn't done anything to lead me to believe she can handle gentle roles. Chill maybe, but not gentle. That's fully 1/2 of the performance and we have no idea how that will go. It's been a while since I played Persona 4, but I recall she had no idea what she was doing (which is fine, that was seven years ago).

Huh. This all came across as more negative than I wanted it to.
In order
-huh, i guess she's more established than I thought, I honestly only know her from Origairu as Yukinoshita Yukino so that might be why I don't know her as establsihed
-I always thought that Weiss was meant to be an Ojou but i guess the lack of the posh laugh is a giveaway that I missed
-Okay, that's interesting to know
-I think Koshimizu has been in a lot more since Persona 4 so she has improved and I think that she can do gentle well though I only really know her from Spice and Wolf, Code Geass, Kill la Kill and Persona like I said before.

p.s. its nice to meet someone who is as into VA's as I am. One question, do you have any tips on how to evaluate Japanese dubs better? I sadly don't know the language so i'm going by ear and how it fits the character