Ryse: Son of Rome is Coming to PC, and Leaving its Microtransactions at Home

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ryse: Son of Rome is Coming to PC, and Leaving its Microtransactions at Home

When Ryse: Son of Rome comes to PC this October, it will be sans microtransactions.

Ryse: Son of Rome was one of the more interesting Xbox One launch titles, developed by formerly PC-exclusive dev Crytek, and taking place in, as the title would suggest, ancient Rome. However, it left a bit of a bitter taste in gamers mouths when it was announced that the $59.99 game would contain microtransactions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127083-Xbox-One-Exclusive-Ryse-Will-Feature-Microtransactions]. Thankfully, Crytek has announced that the PC version of the game, due out on October 10, will be coming to the platform sans microtransactions.

In a tiny little afterthought on the page of PC exclusive features [http://www.crytek.com/blog/see-how-ryse-is-embracing-the-power-of-pc] for the game lies the phrase "we have also removed the optional microtransactions that were present on the Xbox One." In addition to not having to shell out cash for armor kit "shortcuts," the PC version will feature all four Ryse DLC packs for no additional charge.

Other features players can look forward to for the PC release include 4k resolution support, and vastly more customizable graphical options. Ryse will be a Steam release, and thus will take full advantage of Valve's Steamworks platform, with support for Steam Achievements, Trading Cards, Leaderboards and cloud saving.

Other than that, the PC version of Ryse should be identical to the Xbox One version released earlier in the year.

Ryse was met with pretty lackluster reviews when it first launched, and it didn't help that Crytek alienated its historic PC fanbase by deciding to go Xbox One exclusive. It's hard to tell if this PC re-release is an olive branch, or a move of desperation.

Source: Crytek [http://www.crytek.com/blog/see-how-ryse-is-embracing-the-power-of-pc]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
because if theres one exlcusive I've been dying for its Ryse! son of rome....[s/]

really though this is honestly the last thing I ever expected to happen, for the game ot end up on PC..I can't say I'm overly enthused

Zachary Amaranth said:
I do like the fact that [b/]if I ever decide to try this,[/b] ...
[spoiler/][img/]http://i.imgur.com/qvnyn.gif[/img][/spoiler]

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
man, i would have traded diablo 3 coming to the pc without the baggage, but instead we get ryse without the baggage, but still a fundamentally boring game

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Eh? Cuz everyone was really chomping at the bit for this... Still I might give it a go when its £2.99 on Steam.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
yes, definitely not a first buy, but on a steamsale, maybe.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
because if theres one exlcusive I've been dying for its Ryse! son of rome....[s/]

really though this is honestly the last thing I ever expected to happen, for the game ot end up on PC..I can't say I'm overly enthused
Actually, at this point, I'm sort of doubting any games will stay exclusive on the Xbone if they don't absolutely have to.

I do like the fact that if I ever decide to try this, I not only don't need an Xbone but I get a superior version. But I'm not sure I'm going to want to do that.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
wait didn't this game have voice specific commands like to volley javelins, and other things.

so great maybe this is just Crytek making another deal with Microsoft: "Hey if we can sell the game on PC then we will leave the Kinnect requirement in, so you can get Kinnect sales for the PC"

I just hope this didn't happen

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
gardian06 said:
wait didn't this game have voice specific commands like to volley javelins, and other things.

so great maybe this is just Crytek making another deal with Microsoft: "Hey if we can sell the game on PC then we will leave the Kinnect requirement in, so you can get Kinnect sales for the PC"

but you could also push a button to do the commands so its not like its going to be a problem

Bindal

May 14, 2012
gardian06 said:

Hooray for a bazillion more keyboard-keys than your average controller has buttons. Screw voice-commands, just give everyone an own key (the numbers 1 to 9 should cover them all already, I think)
And it's also not like "voice command" would require a kinect - unless the invention of a simple microphone for PC was undone because of it. (UT2004 had that already for bot-commands. And I remember it also being a selling point for SOCOM on PS2, which came specifically with a headset just for that...)

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
im sorry but i forgot about this game and it doesn't matter if its an olive branch or desperation unless it one answer one question. is it good enough for me to care about it after all this time?

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
Ryse: Son of Rome is Coming to PC,

Its hard to tell if this PC re-release is an olive branch, a move of desperation.

I don't think it's hard to tell which one at all , with all the company's financial and structural problems ....
whoever it's quite depressing how the major behemoth that once elevated the threshold of graphical fidelity's with its groundbreaking technology is now staggering and resulting to such cheap, uninspiring and hopeless tactics _ like releasing this chore of a game to pc, hoping for sales to be driven solely by the its graphical merits ignoring the fact that the game is TOO BORING TO BE WORTH ANY MONEY _ to retain its fundament ....

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'll see what it comes down to in the Christmas sale. I honestly don't mind QTE heavy games so long as they're pretty to look at. Sometimes I don't want to play something complex and just want to veg out. When this drops below £10 I'll get it and laugh at all my friends who bought Xbones.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
It was a big mistake for Crytek not to release this game on the PC at launch, now they can't blame its poor sales on piracy. How embarrassing.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Im alright but thanks, i hate QTE and dont want a game full of it. Not even a steamsale buy. Even with its "dlc" included

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Son of who, now?

Oh, that launch game that no one cared about on the Xbone. Meh... maybe on a Steam Sale...