Ryse: Son of Rome is Coming to PC, and Leaving its Microtransactions at Home

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I am completely indifferent about this game, but I am amused by crytek's actions. PC dev that abandoned PCs because the money's in consoles that comes crawling back to the PC. Did greed not work out? It's too bad that the revelation that being greedy assholes doesn't go over too well came a bit too late. What a shame.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
hakkarin said:
The fact that the DLC is included for free is enough for me to at least give this game the benefit of the doubt.
I don't know, offering to make a turd into a bigger turd for free isn't an overly enticing prospect to me, it just takes even longer to clear up.

Make no mistake, Ryse is a turd.

Anyway, with both the PS4 and Xbone being essentially media box PCs I expect this will be the fate of almost all the exclusives for both that aren't made by first party developers. Unless of course the contract includes exclusivity until the year 9999.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The practice of releasing "Well, actually this is the version we meant to make" on the PC is rather an odd one, I must admit.

Though, I doubt even that can save a game like Ryse.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Well that is expected and weak. What a section of the crowd demands is more than likely a terrible move.
Its like...well not in scope (my example is much bigger) of course but lets roll with it, like John Cena finally turning heel like all the IWC want him to. Would that stop them hating him? Nope, as after all instead of FUing the likes of Wyatt, Harper, Rollins, Orton, and so on he'd be FUing Ambrose, Bryan, Reigns, Ziggler, and all the other faces. A wrestling company can work this simple fact out, why can't the supposedly smart Crytek?

Anyway this is "good" news for me I suppose. If I ever take a blow to the head and want to play Ryse: Son of Rome of all things than I can on my PC. Way too busy for the next couple of years though as I have a heavy stockpile of exclusives to play, and more are coming.

fix-the-spade said:
Anyway, with both the PS4 and Xbone being essentially media box PCs I expect this will be the fate of almost all the exclusives for both that aren't made by first party developers. Unless of course the contract includes exclusivity until the year 9999.
You sure about that? Are those niche Japanese companies chomping at the bits to put their games on systems they have no hope on? Nope.
Let us put it this way. The PS3 had a lot of titles which could have easily ran on the Wii U, heck the Wii. They were exclusive even though they could have safely been put on a Nintendo platform, so what hope does PC have?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Though I was never interested in this game to begin with and probably won't be getting it now, I do hope they get a good enough amount of money from it to show that we appreciate games with no microtransactions.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
The only thing that might save this game is modding, and it would take a major mod to make the game into something fun. The world's something I'd like to explore, and a mod that says "screw the story, go roam around in Rome and its provinces" is the sort of thing this game needed.

Jul 31, 2013
Isn't this the one where Queen Boudica of the Iceni invades Rome with an army of war elephants?

Yeah, I think that I'll be skipping this one....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Lilani said:
Though I was never interested in this game to begin with and probably won't be getting it now, I do hope they get a good enough amount of money from it to show that we appreciate games with no microtransactions.
thats kind of like saying this man deserves a price for not hitting people with his big stick...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Vault101 said:
Lilani said:
thats kind of like saying this man deserves a price for not hitting people with his big stick...
True...but unfortunately the way these people work is that if we don't reward them for NOT hitting us with the big stick, they will assume that they problem never was the big stick and they'll just break out an even bigger and badder stick next time around. And we will never again see games from them that don't include people hitting us with big sticks.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, does the Xbone have any exclusives left by this point? It lost Dead Rising, it lost Ryse, it lost Peggle 2, it lost Garden Warfare, and it never HAD Titanfall.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SanguiniusMagnificum said:
Isn't this the one where Queen Boudica of the Iceni invades Rome with an army of war elephants?

Yeah, I think that I'll be skipping this one....
Wait does that seriously happen in this game? If so then they clearly know their history and are trying real hard to be accurate! /s

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'd never buy this game but its interesting that they took out the microtransactions for the pc release. It makes me wonder if it was Microsoft insisted on for the xb1 version

gardian06 said:
wait didn't this game have voice specific commands like to volley javelins, and other things.

so great maybe this is just Crytek making another deal with Microsoft: "Hey if we can sell the game on PC then we will leave the Kinnect requirement in, so you can get Kinnect sales for the PC"

I just hope this didn't happen
If Cryteck has half a brain (and they did leave out the Microtransactions) they'd know they wouldn't sell a single copy of this game on pc if it needed the kinect

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Once again, the PC crowd is left deprived of the real next-gen experience. I mean, no microtransactions? Come on, Crytek, what's with the discrimination?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Lilani said:
True...but unfortunately the way these people work is that if we don't reward them for NOT hitting us with the big stick, they will assume that they problem never was the big stick and they'll just break out an even bigger and badder stick next time around. And we will never again see games from them that don't include people hitting us with big sticks.
My philosophy is that there will always be people who are decent enough to already know not to hit people with sticks, and they're the ones we need to be rewarding so they can continue to thrive, not to mention the ones who deserve it the most. Everyone else can go get fucked.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
kanetsb said:
Seeing the Xbox One slowly die brings a tear to my eye... A tear of joy.
+1

OT: Olive Branch or Desperation? I'm going to lean toward the latter. Its also only a matter of time before these "exclusives" start showing up on PS4 as the devs scramble to make their money back for trying to support a lost cause

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Alright, so that means the PC version of the game will be a bit better. However, it still is a quick time event filled game that's so historically inaccurate Bill and Ted's excellent advantage looks like a documentary in comparison.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Soooo... any chance of this coming to PS4? As a history teacher I'd like to check this one out, whether it's accurate or not (I know it's not).

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
As the kind of guy who likes to pause an action movie just before every kick or punch lands, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to playing this game.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Yeah I think that on the PC this game is NOT required. There are better looking and better running games out there so it won't make a good benchmark. And well going for the gameplay, really?

It is kinda an off game. One of those launch games we shall forget. It will be forgotten.