Ryse: Son of Rome is Coming to PC, and Leaving its Microtransactions at Home

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Rozalia1 said:
You sure about that? Are those niche Japanese companies chomping at the bits to put their games on systems they have no hope on? Nope.
Let us put it this way. The PS3 had a lot of titles which could have easily ran on the Wii U, heck the Wii. They were exclusive even though they could have safely been put on a Nintendo platform, so what hope does PC have?
That doesn't reflect the current situation.

The PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 were all extremely different pieces of hardware. The Wii uses an AMD chip and AIM Power PC architecture, 360s are built with IBM designed chips and Power PC again, but completely different to the Wii, the PS3 used it's completely unique (and completely dead) Cell system. They all had unique Operating Systems.

By contrast, the Xbone and PS4 are essentially AMD laptops without the screen, they both use the X86 instruction set, the PS4 still has a unique OS but the Xbone runs on some fringe piece of software called Windows.

Whereas porting between the PS3, Wii, 360 and PC was complicated, expensive and slow since none of them had the same instruction set, the two new consoles are broadly the same as PCs, people are already porting Windows PC programs over to the Xbone without much bother.

Porting a release from either of them is extremely cheap next to last gen, getting a release on Steam is essentially free (not quite, but not far off) and only a few thousand sales would likely return a profit to most Indy and small developers.

A year or eighteen months down the line, most exclusivity deals will have expired, faced with the prospect of 10-15'000 sales and a reasonable chunk of money I can see most exclusives appearing on PC, even the tiny niche ones from obscure Japanese developers.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's kind of funny to me how this Xbone launch-exclusive is now not only coming to but it looks like the PC version will be the best version of the game. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the game is complete on PC or if it's lacking the microtransactions but it definitely seems like this is the version of Ryse to get...Or...Or, I could get the God of War collection on the PS3...I haven't bought that yet after all and at least half of those games are bonified bad-ass compared to Ryse which is a game, I'm told.

Apr 5, 2008
Whatever one might say about the game itself, or its reception on Xbox, it's refreshing that the PC version to be released will include all content and no additions or extras. I cannot recall the last time a AAA game came out on PC in its complete, ultimate form on day one. Buy upon release, get the entire game. It's sad that the opposite is what gaming has come to, but refreshing that one title at least is a complete game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Callate said:
Given the kind of headlines Crytek has been in the news for, lately, it's kind of hard not to believe it's the latter.
Reading the comments in that article makes me sick to my stomach. Mainly the ones about how if you have a 100K/year salary that you shouldn't be impacted by being paid late, and if you are then you've got bad financial planning. It's like those people don't realize that accidents like car crashes, hospital visits, and medication wouldn't put you in a bad spot at all. >.>

OT: Interesting to hear that all the microtransactions and DLC are included for free, but I agree with Callate that this isn't an olive branch. That article he linked shows that Crytek's bad management decisions have caught up with them, and they are now in a time in which they want to stay afloat.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
killerbee256 said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8525-Ryse-Son-of-Rome
Doesn't seem like a very good game, and I even watched the Unskippable video they did of it too.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
I forget this game, wasn't it just a 3rd person QTE game?
Pretty much. It's almost like they took a bet with Ubisoft to make a game with more rinse and repeat combat than Assassin's Creed.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
gardian06 said:
wait didn't this game have voice specific commands like to volley javelins, and other things.

so great maybe this is just Crytek making another deal with Microsoft: "Hey if we can sell the game on PC then we will leave the Kinnect requirement in, so you can get Kinnect sales for the PC"

I just hope this didn't happen
I'm not sure I understand, if they are voice commands why would you need a Kinnect? There have been voice command games on PC before...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I thought this game looked worth a quick 6-8 hour campaign, so come Winter Steam Sale I'll keep it in mind. It's not a world I'd enjoy spending 60+ hours in, so the $60 puts it in the same category as Heavenly Sword as a play it and forget it launch game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
008Zulu said:
I forget this game, wasn't it just a 3rd person QTE game?
I heard they patched a lot of stupid QTE out, but im not certain.

The Lunatic said:
The practice of releasing "Well, actually this is the version we meant to make" on the PC is rather an odd one, I must admit.

Though, I doubt even that can save a game like Ryse.
The practice exists because there are different audiences. Console audience is so lacking in gaming choices that they are willing to pay head over heels to get a new "big" game. meanwhile its much harder to impress PC players (see the constant complaining about lack of options, mod support, ect). this they actually have to do better in order to make as much inpact in PC world.

erttheking said:
Ok, does the Xbone have any exclusives left by this point? It lost Dead Rising, it lost Ryse, it lost Peggle 2, it lost Garden Warfare, and it never HAD Titanfall.
It has forza (and its horrible pedestrian faces) i guess?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
The practice exists because there are different audiences. Console audience is so lacking in gaming choices that they are willing to pay head over heels to get a new "big" game. meanwhile its much harder to impress PC players (see the constant complaining about lack of options, mod support, ect). this they actually have to do better in order to make as much inpact in PC world.
Oh boy, this sides garbage once again (with a big helping of "we're better than you" on top). You may not want to believe it as it breaks your immersion in the narrative you follow but there is overlap among PC and consoles...and besides... you're talking bunkum. Big wowy style over substance exclusive? Yeah PC gamers don't go for that at all. Oh wait look at all that fluid shrubbery and lighting.

You want to call a "side" marks? Fine you're free to do that at the end of day. However if you do this while being on a "side" yourself than expect to be called out every time.
If someone was exhibiting behaviour causing you to shoot at them such comments than I'd let you guys work it out, but as you're pulling this out of nowhere to insult an entire group I have to take issue.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Strazdas said:
Oh boy, this sides garbage once again (with a big helping of "we're better than you" on top). You may not want to believe it as it breaks your immersion in the narrative you follow but there is overlap among PC and consoles...and besides... you're talking bunkum. Big wowy style over substance exclusive? Yeah PC gamers don't go for that at all. Oh wait look at all that fluid shrubbery and lighting.

You want to call a "side" marks? Fine you're free to do that at the end of day. However if you do this while being on a "side" yourself than expect to be called out every time.
If someone was exhibiting behaviour causing you to shoot at them such comments than I'd let you guys work it out, but as you're pulling this out of nowhere to insult an entire group I have to take issue.
Yes, there is overlap of audience to a point. and these people will also tell you that PC gamers expect far more than console gamers from their games. and... then you go on proving my point. i dont even.

Btw, do i really get on your nerves that much that you have taken to harrasing me now? I never hid that i prefer PC and that i think PC is the best platform currently available. theres nothing to be "Called out" for.

Oh and yes you definatelly never take sides....

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
Yes, there is overlap of audience to a point. and these people will also tell you that PC gamers expect far more than console gamers from their games. and... then you go on proving my point. i dont even.

Btw, do i really get on your nerves that much that you have taken to harrasing me now? I never hid that i prefer PC and that i think PC is the best platform currently available. theres nothing to be "Called out" for.

Shrubbery proves your point? ...Right. It proves mine made in counter to yours hence why I said it. Saying "i dont even" may seem like a nice put down, but in the end it just reflects back onto yourself when you can't perceive what was actually said. Alright than, you talk of new "big" games, aka flashy graphic heavy games that are in reality not that good. PC has had and will have plenty of those games...now yes I know due to your admitted bias you see those games as all gold, but from the standpoint away from all this sides hogwash you've made a statement to unfairly paint the other "side" as something your "side" is also guilty of.

There is when you try to paint yourself as any way superior.

No I don't on these matters no, but if you think otherwise than feel free to give your reason. Find my supposed weak point and shoot me with the truth.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Strazdas said:

Shrubbery proves your point? ...Right. It proves mine made in counter to yours hence why I said it. Saying "i dont even" may seem like a nice put down, but in the end it just reflects back onto yourself when you can't perceive what was actually said. Alright than, you talk of new "big" games, aka flashy graphic heavy games that are in reality not that good. PC has had and will have plenty of those games...now yes I know due to your admitted bias you see those games as all gold, but from the standpoint away from all this sides hogwash you've made a statement to unfairly paint the other "side" as something your "side" is also guilty of.
The fact that PC players care about shrubbery where by your accord console players didnt prove the point that PC players are more demanding of their games, yes.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
The fact that PC players care about shrubbery where by your accord console players didnt prove the point that PC players are more demanding of their games, yes.
And the counter to that is found in the same post you quoted, a trend I've been noticing lately.

"Shrubbery proves your point? ...Right. It proves mine made in counter to yours hence why I said it. Saying "i dont even" may seem like a nice put down, but in the end it just reflects back onto yourself when you can't perceive what was actually said. Alright than, you talk of new "big" games, aka flashy graphic heavy games that are in reality not that good. PC has had and will have plenty of those games...now yes I know due to your admitted bias you see those games as all gold, but from the standpoint away from all this sides hogwash you've made a statement to unfairly paint the other "side" as something your "side" is also guilty of".

There we go, that is my response.

Anyway those same PC gamers that put down money for broken unfinished games on steam? Please do not play this superiority poppycock quite common among a certain cache of PC gamers, I and many others really don't care for it.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Strazdas said:
And the counter to that is found in the same post you quoted, a trend I've been noticing lately.

"Shrubbery proves your point? ...Right. It proves mine made in counter to yours hence why I said it. Saying "i dont even" may seem like a nice put down, but in the end it just reflects back onto yourself when you can't perceive what was actually said. Alright than, you talk of new "big" games, aka flashy graphic heavy games that are in reality not that good. PC has had and will have plenty of those games...now yes I know due to your admitted bias you see those games as all gold, but from the standpoint away from all this sides hogwash you've made a statement to unfairly paint the other "side" as something your "side" is also guilty of".

There we go, that is my response.

Anyway those same PC gamers that put down money for broken unfinished games on steam? Please do not play this superiority poppycock quite common among a certain cache of PC gamers, I and many others really don't care for it.
explain how it proves your point instead of mine. or of course you can continue attacking strawmen and evade explaining anything.

Oh, yes, broken games on steam. while steam does not show the sale statistics, it shows how many people are playing the games. what does all those games have in common? most of the time its 0 players. so many PC people pay for them and dont play, right. oh, and i must be an exception too, because, you know, i havent bought a single one of them.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
explain how it proves your point instead of mine. or of course you can continue attacking strawmen and evade explaining anything.

Oh, yes, broken games on steam. while steam does not show the sale statistics, it shows how many people are playing the games. what does all those games have in common? most of the time its 0 players. so many PC people pay for them and dont play, right. oh, and i must be an exception too, because, you know, i havent bought a single one of them.
It...is explained right bloody there...so what exactly do you want me to do exactly? For a third time I will refer you to that post, respond to that instead of constantly asking for a response I've already given you twice already.

??? This supposed to be a counter point? They pay yet don't play...that in no way weakens what I said, heck all it does is pile more on top. I never even mentioned the practice of PC gamers buying crap they won't play, but you do? Why someone would make their weakpoints bigger is beyond me.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Ryse: Son of Rome developers chose technology over microtransactions
"It was to our benefit to trim away additional elements and just put all our energy into achieving the vision we had for Ryse on PC,"
PC gets higher visual fidelity and 4K, console fans? Micro-transactions.... Just a little taste of your "bright" future console fans.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ryse-son-of-rome-developers-chose-technology-over-microtransactions/