Ryse: Son of Rome is going PC

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
http://www.crytek.com/news/ryse-son-of-rome-is-coming-to-pc

Source is straight from the horses mouth.

My initial thoughts: At first glance it looks like Xbox Exclusives are abandoning ship. Now, it has only been two so far (Dead Rising: 3 & Ryse), but I could easily see both current and future exclusives making the jump too. And, as a potential customer, I have to wonder if I should just sit on potential exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, or Scalebound, and wait and see if they come over to PC. This can't make Microsoft investors happy.

Thoughts?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well, this is interesting to say the least. Really you can't call it an "exclusive" if it's coming out for more platforms, and this is also what happened last generation as well if you remember. BioShock 1 was a timed exclusive, and when it was ported to the PS3 and PC it actually received upgrades that the 360 version never got.

It's why unless it is a first or second party studio making the game, I don't trust anything on a system that says it's "exclusive." It's been proven many times in the 5th, 6th, 7th, and now 8th generation of consoles. Doesn't matter what platform it starts on, at some point it will end up on another no matter what people say. So far for the Xbox One, the main launch exclusives such as Dead Rising 3 and Ryse will be on other platforms, yet I remember people saying how they "won't be released on other systems!" and just couldn't stop laughing. XD

As for the possibilities of Sunset Overdrive, it is entirely possible that it will be on other systems in the future, despite what people say. Mainly because, Microsoft doesn't own the IP, Insomniac does so Insomniac can decide some time in the future "hey, let's put this out onto the PS4 and PC" if they so want. As for Scalebound, I'm not sure if Microsoft will own the IP or not, so we have to see.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
And Another one gone and another one gone another one bites the dust.....

Ahem sorry it is really good news since I love roman period stuff and really hated that this game was gated off from me due to my refusal to ever buy another Microsoft console. Will more follow I hope so since I have always hated console exclusives since I don't have much use for the fanboy dickwaving that surrounds it.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Looks like their bland game wasn't selling well while tied to only one-third of the market. I can't say that I'm surprised.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
I can't help but wonder why? I haven't actually played the game, but it seems like SUCH a mediocre experience.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
It almost makes me wonder why, especially given Crytek's recent news but in the end it doesn't because I know Crytek is going slowly up shit creek and now it's desperate to grab as much cash as it can.

I also wouldn't say it's going to do phenomenally well on PC given that the game is basically a roman simulator chock full of QTE's and the 4k boast is just to get the really small niche crowd of those that actually have 4k to buy into it which just seems weak to begin with seeing as how the overall market doesn't all have 4k yet let alone 1440p.

I'm still going to grab the XB1 though for Halo, Sunset overdrive, Scalebound and others, though in the end all this is doing is stinging and hurting the owners of the console by having their value reduced, same with the Wii U and it not getting games that everyone else gets or sub par versions, this gen really doesn't seem that thrilling let alone fair at all especially now that Sony's doing what MS did last gen and MS were berated for.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeh

i couldnt care less about that game, if it was like the halo collection or sunset overdrive then id be interested, that being said, picture relevant:

i dont know if they are going to make their money back porting that thing, i like to think my PC peers have a somewhat good taste... yes im a bit delusional

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Gosh, I can't wait to have two platforms not to buy shitty games for!
But seriously considering how much impact Ryse had on.... anything, I doubt this isn't going to make many waves.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Game was a flop, best bet is to try and sell a few more copies to PC gamers. I think it's rather pitiful, but I understand it from a business perceptive.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm generally against exclusives. I know why they exist, but I'd personal prefer to see games come out on whatever platforms can run them.

However, in the case of a game as utterly meh as Ryse, it's kind of hard to give a shit either way.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
HAAAAAAAAAAAA

oh lord this is hilarious on so many levels

"Ryse" seems like the quintesential "everything wrong with gaming 2.0" on the quintisential "everything wrong with gaming console"

and now its crawling over to PC

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'm still going to grab the XB1 though for Halo, Sunset overdrive, Scalebound and others, though in the end all this is doing is stinging and hurting the owners of the console by having their value reduced,
oh the poor consoles owners....people playing games they already have, that must hurt..../sarcasm

I'm not trying to sound anti console...I just don't see the issue...if I spend how much money upgrading my PC to play...say Star Citizen and then somtime later its availible on consoles why would I care? I've already spent my money

the only people it affects are those who havent yet made a purchasing decision

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Ohhhh shit...if sunset overdrive and Masterchief collection could just come to PC...i'd FINALLY not have a huge rageing hard-on for an xbox one. Those 2 are the absolute only reason I want the console, fuck it elsewise.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
"Oh man I hope Ryse comes to PC!" -no one ever
I will just drop the top quote from the PC Gamer announcement brought to you by Steve Acone, true wisdom shines. Anyway, maybe a Steam sale when it hits $5, a little filler for the slow periods, which it seems on PC with indie games flourishing is getting shorter and shorter.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Stupid stupid stupid, thats not the finish Kofi Microsoft. The point of exclusives is to give value to your console, if only Sony (well and Nintendo) can seemingly hold on to their exclusives than their consoles is simply better, the hardware difference is practically an irrelevance when compared to this issue, and by constantly doing it you train the consumer to see your exclusives be they real or not as merely temporarily which has the effect of making the impact of your exclusives worthless.

I've never owned a Microsoft console, but I've played quite a few of their games (I say theirs but I mean Xbox "exclusives" of course) through the wonders of PC/PS3. Sony on the other hand have had me getting every iteration of their console as they unlike Microsoft can actually hold on to exclusives (and yes I know Japan helps a lot on that, but their exclusives don't extend just to the land of the rising son).

If Microsoft isn't even going to play the game properly than why are they even in the console market? Their console doesn't run any games better than the competition. They clearly have no real exclusives outside potentially the Halo games (and even than they might be braindead enough at this point to put it on the PC, if not the bloody PS4).

Anyway...back to the topic at hand concerning the game Ryse. So its the Xbone version of Knack than? Well Knack will remain an exclusive, but in that its so poor that its pretty much assured to be the first "full" game they give out in their game collection service for the new generation.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
delta4062 said:
Well this good news for me. Ryse was one of the few Xbone games I actually wanted.
Too bad it seems to be negatively panned as shit. I dunno if I recommend going for it anyways. It'll probably have a $60 price tag. For what I've seen... $60 for *that* is not worth it. Might wanna look into some reviews or videos. If you have and am still wanting it... Ok? Can't stop ya

OT: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Sunset Overdrive PLEEEEAAASE!!!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Finally! The killer app to sell Windows 9!

(evil laugh)

More seriously, I wonder if this has any relation to the blowup with Crytek UK and Homefront... Perhaps Crytek as a whole is looking at a hole in their anticipated budget and grabbing for a quick infusion of cash. If so, that may not bode well for the quality of the port.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looked like shit when it was announced, and to no one's surprise, it turned out to be shit when it was released. As expected, nobody bought it. And then there's the fact that barely anyone bought the Xbone. Again, as expected. Which makes Crytek look completely fuckin' clueless again. They are really good at making terrible business decisions. And they think this will save them? The game is abysmal. They shouldn't waste more resources on porting crap. Make something good if you can. If not, go bankrupt. You deserve it.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Huge flop getting ported , so odds on there being any money to do the job right are slim, And everyone involved knows they are working on a turkey so long wet lunch breaks incoming.

this is going to be spectacular