Ryse: Son of Rome is going PC

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
So you don't want to support Insomniac/MS (MS helped fund them since SOny wanted to keep the IP all for themselves) while at the same time for just a fiver?, doesn't sound really supportive at all, I mean if you'll pay big for anything in the future or the past why not for Sunset Overdrive since you're showing interest and overall kneen to get if it ever decided to come to PC?.
You make it sound like wanting to keep an IP that's being published on your platform and that you're helping develop is a bad thing. Mainly it's the wording of it.

ALso when has Insomniac ported to PC frequently if at all, I know Ryse is coming to PC but somehow that doesn't automatically make it a fact every single XB1 game is just gonna jump to PC all within a year if at all, but fair enough for people who are somehow allowed to make such an assumption that for anything else would be berated for.
It is entirely likely Insomniac can port the game over to other systems if they want to, because they are the ones who own the IP to it. "Exclusive" nowadays generally means timed exclusives, and the only things that generally stay exclusive to the systems are first party games, or second party games in which the first party owns the IP (Ratchet and Clank for Sony, Kirby for Nintendo, Halo for Microsoft just to name some examples). Heck, it was proven that was the case many times last generation, the generation before that, and even this generation already when it came to the Wii U. I still remember last gen when Mass Effect 1 was coming out and how a bunch of people were saying it'd never be ported to the PS3. Sure it took a while, but it came out on PS3 eventually. Really, I don't expect Sunset Overdrive to be ported over any time soon, but I won't say that it won't happen at all isn't right.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Charcharo said:
I also wondered whether those 9/10s and 10/10 were a joke.

Turned out they weren't.
It's a AAA game on release day, just thank your lucky stars it managed a few 9's in the mix.

On topic, Ryse was a bit of a dud as far as Microsoft trying to create a God Of War competitor franchise. If they release it for Windows microsoft has a chance to make extra money off the property, and they only release it to their red-headed-stepchild instead of a competitor console.

I love how Microsoft basically only accepts that PC exists when they're desperate.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I really hope this means Sunset Overdrive will come over to PC. I may not think it looks good enough to be a system seller, but it looks fun enough to pick up in a Steam sale.
So you don't want to support Insomniac/MS (MS helped fund them since SOny wanted to keep the IP all for themselves) while at the same time for just a fiver?, doesn't sound really supportive at all, I mean if you'll pay big for anything in the future or the past why not for Sunset Overdrive since you're showing interest and overall kneen to get if it ever decided to come to PC?.

ALso when has Insomniac ported to PC frequently if at all, I know Ryse is coming to PC but somehow that doesn't automatically make it a fact every single XB1 game is just gonna jump to PC all within a year if at all, but fair enough for people who are somehow allowed to make such an assumption that for anything else would be berated for.
dude, different games are worth different amounts of money for different people

thats why i paid, for instance, almost full price for dark souls 2 and only 5 bucks for tomb raider, and hell ive been enjoying dark souls way more

also some people just dont have the money to buy games at full price all the time

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Gennadios said:
I love how Microsoft basically only accepts that PC exists when they're desperate.
I swear it's Crytek that's the desperate one, they aren't looking so super along with their Homefront game being handed elsewhere and then this happens, to me it screams Crytek being the desperate one since MS has both console and PC in the market.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
TheKasp said:
Well, I don't know where to start. How about the bullshit that it'll most likely be one shitty port because it looks like a desperate cashgrab. Or how they basically lied to the consumers by implying that there won't be any port, even down the line (which this is)? One a bit more jaded could try and argue that the sole intent behind that was to get people to buy the console and game despite knowing that a better option will exist (and if I assume for the sake of argument that this game is worth a damn: There are plenty of people who'd wait for a PC release, even for a year or longer, to get the better experience [from their standpoint]).

Crytech gambled with a bad hand and now they are trying to salvage.
Exclusives are pretty much way of creating artificial scarcity. Particularly as most "exclusives" will be ported/cross-platform eventually, so I don't know why people keep getting suprised and butthurt by the idea that when said games end up on PC and/or the other console.

Or by extension, when their precious pre-order/exclusive DLC/skin pack shows up as a $5-10 download a year later.

They keep doing this crap because they know people will keep falling for it.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
XDSkyFreak said:
Oh dear me, is selling your game to one third of the market prooving to be detrimental to your income? Oh well, at least you are lucky enough to have been picked up by clueless microsoft, so you can just run away to the PC. Only 90%~ of PC gamers HATE QTE driven linear bullshit console games. Oh well, better luck next time.

In all honesty I can see why console makers want exclusive games. If all games apeared on all platforms at the same time, fucking NO ONE would even touch a console, because a PC could play the games AND a shit ton of other stuff. So consoles have 2 choices: either offer extra utility (and become shit castrated PCs) or exclusives.

But while I get console makers, I will never for the life of me understand the braindead devs who agree to this. Yeah, I'll spend years and a shit ton of cash to make a game that I will on purpose sell to a limited section of the market, thus refusing my game the chance to atract as many players as it posibly could and refuse myself profits. I are smart. ANd yeah, I know making games for consoles is easier because of the fixed hardware, but honestly devs: just make a PC version and then proceed to castrate the graphics or whatever so it can run on consoles. Oh right, but then why would anyone buy the console version.

And I know I will get console fanboys jumping up my rear for what I just wrote (and what I will write here) but let's face it: CONSOLE GAMES ARE INFERIOR TO PC GAMES IN ALL ASPECTS. And this isn't me beeing a PC-master race. This is what I have seen with years of gaming behind me. I've owned from an NES to a PS 2 and XBOX almost all major consoles at some point in my life (and beyond those I have a friend that allowed me to play the major exclusives of both PS3 and 360, and right now I own a WiiU) and frankly the writting was on the wall years ago. PC hardware will just trump consoles all the time, and with better hardware come greater resources that a game can exploit. With greater resources, devs have greater freedom in what they can create and we can get to see some trully amazing games. Instead we are bogged down in obsolete hardware, castrated multi-platform games and a console war that has no purpose in existing. The only console that has a reason to exist right now is the WiiU because of the unique library of games (also hooray for backwards compatibility) and method of control.
And I was hoping we'd go the thread without this bunkum showing up. Lets see...

For a lot of them it isn't a choice, the Console Manufactors have their ways of getting their hands on IPs and when your popular money making IP is in their hands you have no choice on the matter. It'll still make you money even as a exclusive, its not as large a risk as whipping something up from the ground up, and of course you're assured to be given a lot of promotion by who you're being exclusive to. Microsofts failing on the matter is while they "pay off" companies, they fail to attain the IP rights so they are made fools of later (or straight off in the case of Titanfall).
The small Japanese companies that create exclusives aren't tied down but considering porting their games to the west is hassle enough, selling it on any other platform that'll sell nothing isn't in their interests.

Secondly multiplats by the large sell more on each console version individually than they do on the PC (exceptions of course) so your claim shows no awareness of the situation.

I've already went into this before and won't here but to put it simply how fluid a piece of shrubbery is, is ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of the game. The games who have used the PC to the "max" as they claim aren't these wondrous marvelous games, they have good looking graphics whoopity doo. The meat of what makes a game great simply isn't there in all the ones I've seen and I put my nose up at anybody who tries to convince me graphics are all/majority that makes a game.

Finally to end I've never seen a game (for example) as splendid as the Yakuza games on PC even with the supposed extra available resources...nor one as good at doing what the Atelier games can do... To spell it out, stop with the hardware mark business, broaden horizons, and put stocks in what really makes games art...just my little friendly compassionate advice to you (Maggle).

Dalisclock said:
Exclusives are pretty much way of creating artificial scarcity. Particularly as most "exclusives" will be ported/cross-platform eventually, so I don't know why people keep getting suprised and butthurt by the idea that when said games end up on PC and/or the other console.

Or by extension, when their precious pre-order/exclusive DLC/skin pack shows up as a $5-10 download a year later.

They keep doing this crap because they know people will keep falling for it.
...No. Microsoft's bad business in no way reflects on the others. Where is Killzone's PC port? Knacks? Marios? Zeldas? Last of Us? God of War? Uncharted? Gran Turismo? Yakuza? Atelier? Infamous? Metroid? Demon Souls? Persona? And so on you get the point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
So you don't want to support Insomniac/MS (MS helped fund them since SOny wanted to keep the IP all for themselves) while at the same time for just a fiver?
I think you accidentally a word or two. If I get your gist, then yes, you are correct.

doesn't sound really supportive at all, I mean if you'll pay big for anything in the future or the past why not for Sunset Overdrive since you're showing interest and overall kneen to get if it ever decided to come to PC?.
The reason it doesn't sound supportive is because it's not supportive. If I sound "keen" on it to you, you haven't been paying much attention.

And if that was at all relevant, you'd have something. However, since you're responding to someone saying "hopefully," it is completely irrelevant.

I have literally no reason to support Insomniac and no reason to support Microsoft. I have no reason to have faith in this game, and it looks like another LOLSOZANY game. Something I might pay budget money for, but not something I would pay MSRP for and certainly not something I would buy an Xbone for. As "terrible" as it might sound to you or anyone else, the alternative is they get zero money from me.

And for the record, there are games I will buy at launch. There are games I will pay full price for. There are devs I will fully support. This is not one of those games nor is Insomniac one of those devs. Sorry that was unclear.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Well that cracked me up.

OT: So has this confirmed that only Nintendo sticks to the idea of console exclusive games for the long term? Ryse seems to be just another example of a publisher promising exclusivity for a console in order to secure more money only to abandon it later.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Redlin5 said:
OT: So has this confirmed that only Nintendo sticks to the idea of console exclusive games for the long term? Ryse seems to be just another example of a publisher promising exclusivity for a console in order to secure more money only to abandon it later.
Microsoft have always done this. I still remember those Japanese titles they brought for the Xbox original, and the 360 and...nope Japan isn't important for the Xbone (perhaps an actual valid good business move) so no bought Japanese titles this time around.

Anyway Sony/Nintendo has had strong diverse 1st party support for generations now, and their third party exclusives from Japan are pretty much guaranteed to remain exclusives.
Microsoft needs to learn to produce more first party games so they can brush this phony exclusive business under the rug, they'll have to grin and bare it with the third party though as the companies they are dealing with are Western (which means they'll port it at the first opportunity) but there is a simple solution...stop promoting them over your own first party games, and paying them to make you look like a chump.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
It's not bad porting things over, But your going to make it harder to buy a Xb1 over a PS4 when their are no more "Exclusives" to be had. Garden warfare is making it's way over to Ps4 and Ps3, Dead rising already left, Hell the only thing left is Forza 5. Hell That's only probably a matter of time from pc.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
In all honesty, the same kind of thing happened to previous Xbox iterations where a number of exclusives were only exclusive for a short while (e.g. Halo 1 and 2, Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms (I know that last one isn't exactly great but those are coming from the top of my head coming from the top of my head)). I wouldn't say that the Xbox division is abandoning ship just yet but Microsoft investors are not too pleased with the Xbox division from what I hear:

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-investor-wants-to-fire-ballmer-and-sell-xbox-division/

The article is really old so some things may have changed since then.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Darmy647 said:
Ohhhh shit...if sunset overdrive and Masterchief collection could just come to PC...i'd FINALLY not have a huge rageing hard-on for an xbox one. Those 2 are the absolute only reason I want the console, fuck it elsewise.
If the Halo bundle gets ported, expect what always happens with Halo ports to PC. They'll find a way to force you into buying their extra product (for the Halo bundle it would be Windows 9) or delay it for so long that's it not really worth it (like they did with Halo: CE) because it's dirt cheap on the console equivalent.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Evonisia said:
If the Halo bundle gets ported, expect what always happens with Halo ports to PC. They'll find a way to force you into buying their extra product (for the Halo bundle it would be Windows 9) or delay it for so long that's it not really worth it (like they did with Halo: CE) because it's dirt cheap on the console equivalent.
Always? It happened once, and modders fixed Microsoft's poor judgement for them. As for Windows 9, well XP, Vista, 7 and 8 users may not have to worry about that, as it could be a free upgrade.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-9-be-free-windows-7-and-windows-8-users
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2014/08/04/windows-9-rumored-as-free-upgrade.aspx

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well it's a very pretty looking game, but I can't help but think the creators of 300 should have just made a movie out of it instead. So many quick time events, and the actual combat seems pretty average at best (looks flashy enough, but eh, movies do that better anyway). Not sure what kind of demand this would have on the PC and I can't imagine it will sell very well, so if they're doing a port to make some quick $$$, I don't think it will pay off.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
...No. Microsoft's bad business in no way reflects on the others. Where is Killzone's PC port? Knacks? Marios? Zeldas? Last of Us? God of War? Uncharted? Gran Turismo? Yakuza? Atelier? Infamous? Metroid? Demon Souls? Persona? And so on you get the point.
I shall play this game too!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Crackdown, Fable, Forza, Gears of war, Halo, Ninety-Nine Nights, Perfect Dark Zero, and lots of xbox live arcade games never went multiplatform. I can provide a list if you want. ;)

But then demon souls when multiplatform with dark souls, then resident evil, then final fantasy, then metal gear solid, then of course no mans sky is going to the PC eventually.

Then of course many games from the PC came to consoles. I'd make a list but it's 2 in the morning. I think you get the point.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't know why people would care about the exclusivity of this game anyway. It's pretty mediocre apart from its nice visuals. Even then, I'm sure you can find plenty of games on PC with even better visuals.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Saucycarpdog said:
I shall play this game too!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Crackdown, Fable, Forza, Gears of war, Halo, Ninety-Nine Nights, Perfect Dark Zero, and lots of xbox live arcade games never went multiplatform. I can provide a list if you want. ;)

But then demon souls when multiplatform with dark souls, then resident evil, then final fantasy, then metal gear solid, then of course no mans sky is going to the PC eventually.

Then of course many games from the PC came to consoles. I'd make a list but it's 2 in the morning. I think you get the point.
Fable was not an exclusive, Fable 2 was but the others weren't. Forza, Halo, and Gears are good IPs Microsoft have been smart to keep exclusive especially as they go head to head with Gran Turismo and Killzone (no idea what Gears opposite would be). The rest are good, but they don't have the quantity (I'll leave quality away as its all subjective) that their competitors have.
Additionally the big gripe that makes people see them weak on exclusives is when they pull crap like making TitanFall of all things their "centrepiece" when its not even an exclusive, Sony making Knack their centrepiece would make more sense honestly. Ryse was another big hitter that will no longer be exclusive while their competitors big hitters are all wrapped up.

Easy mistake to make but Demon Souls does not actually equal Dark Souls. The reason they didn't make Demon Souls 2 was because they'd be forced to make it exclusive due to Sony making sure they had the IP on lockdown.

Resident Evil has never been a Sony exclusive... so yeah you're making a big mistake there. If they were exclusive you wouldn't have had Veronica as a Dreamcast exclusive, and 4 as a Gamecube exclusive among others.

Final Fantasy started and had a large amount of games on Nintendo consoles before going solo on the Sony Platform, and while Sony owned a percentage of them for a while there was no lockdown from what I recall, I believe it was more an issue Enix had with Nintendo at the time.

Metal Gear started on Nintendo originally and had games on Nintendo after Metal Gear Solid 1 so there was no deal as far as I'm aware. Metal Gear Solid 4 was hyped up as the consoles big blockbuster exclusive and it didn't find itself on the 360 a year later, heck even with the release of a collection on the 360 had MGS4 absent.

No mans sky is an indie title for PC, it was never an exclusive to start with as far as I know. I do remember reading it might well release on the PS4 first with a PC version coming later due to some problems they are having but regardless they don't help your point.