Ryse: Son of Rome Launch Trailer Channels Gladiator Goodness

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ryse: Son of Rome Launch Trailer Channels Gladiator Goodness

The Ryse: Son of Rome launch trailer is here! Are you not entertained?

Hey, have you checked the gate lately? I think I hear something outside. It sounds like... barbarians! No, wait, never mind, it's just minotaurs. And oliphaunts! Boy, that's not good.

As silly as it is, the Ryse: Son of Rome launch trailer does have a few redeeming attributes. It's the first time I've ever seen a man reach between another man's legs and then stab him through the back. There's a dude at the 50 second mark who sounds a lot like Sean Bean, and we all know that Sean Bean only appears in triple-A quality stuff. Somebody named Commodus is involved, and where Commodus goes, glorious scenery-chewing is bound to follow.

If Ryse: Son of Rome was a movie I'd probably watch it - I'm down with the stabbing and the chopping and the hey hey hey, this really hurts - but as a game, I think I'd like to see a little more actual "game," rather than the admittedly impressive cinematic teasers Microsoft and Crytek have been throwing around.

Ryse: Son of Rome is an Xbox One launch title and, as such, comes out on November 22.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this but I want this game.

I have a thing for the Rome period, even if its fantasized like this game clearly is.

God damn, Xbox you're winning me over, stahp.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
At my QTE, unleash hell!

But seriously, I liked the trailer, the period, the ideas, so I'll be waiting to see some reviews on this before making my call. I know what it will be, but I have some small hope it might be fun.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I reckon it will be a very entertaining hacky slashy game, I watched some of the game play trailers and the only bad point was that most of the kills seem to come from mini quick time events but its either quick time events or light and heavy attacks with a few finishers.

Guess we'll see what the story is in a few days.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm starting to warm to this title... it looks like they're taking the feedback they're hearing and applying it to the game? Or they've always had the game designed like this and planned the negative feedback and want to look better by releasing a game that seems different to when it was announced...? Layers upon layers...

Either way, here's hoping it's not just a Classical Period adaptation of American Military Wank just in a Roman coating. The fighting looks responsive enough, just need the characters to be able to carry a story that seems terribly inaccurate and contrived.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
Ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this but I want this game.

I have a thing for the Rome period, even if its fantasized like this game clearly is.

God damn, Xbox you're winning me over, stahp.
I have the Rome bug too. For me the worst part of fantasized Rome settings is the armor. I'm sure commanders that could afford it had decorative armor for triumph celebrations but field armor should always be functional.