Ryse: Son of Rome Review - Vengeance and Glory

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Ryse: Son of Rome Review - Vengeance and Glory

Ryse takes violent action to the next level with next-gen mutilation.

Read Full Article

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Thats definately a surpryseing conclusion, it's getting panned mostly. It looks vaguely interesting but more like bargain bin fodder to me.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I can see the appeal, but going off of other reviews as well as this one makes it seem like most of that 5-8 hour campaign is spent waiting for the finisher animations to end.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
These reviews for Xbox One launch exclusives are going to hurt its first run of sales. Still can't wait to see the first day sales though.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
These reviews for Xbox One launch exclusives are going to hurt its first run of sales. Still can't wait to see the first day sales though.
Actually, they probably won't. People will go and buy them regardless, just because they want something to play. It's not like the PS4 isn't experiencing the same potential sales "issues" with a lack of good launch titles either.

OT: I pre-ordered Ryse and Dead Rising 3, and they've both gotten pretty good reviews from here. I generally trust the Escapist reviews, although brevity is a minor thing to me as far as a review goes. As long as the game itself and combat is fun (which is why I bought Ryse in the first place), I'll be happy. Looking at Metacritic, Ryse only has one "bad" review of a 3/10, which looks to be the outlier here. Rarely does any game ever deserve a 3/10, so I think that may just be a site desperate for hits.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Midniqht said:
Rarely does any game ever deserve a 3/10, so I think that may just be a site desperate for hits.
I can think of a lot of games that deserve a 3/10. But the problem with game reviews is that reviewers and readers have been conditioned to believe that anything below a 6/10 is complete garbage so almost no one ever goes there.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth, as the gold acquired through play is paltry compared to what is required to purchase booster packs, so folks willing to shell out some additional cash will have easy access to upgrades, whereas players farming gold will have to work endlessly for it.
That is an absolute deal breaker for me. Fuck any game company that, after tacking a price onto their game, force micro-transactions down your throat, and make it next to impossible to upgrade your character without them. Fuck Crytek, and fuck this game.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Midniqht said:
Rarely does any game ever deserve a 3/10, so I think that may just be a site desperate for hits.
I can think of a lot of games that deserve a 3/10. But the problem with game reviews is that reviewers and readers have been conditioned to believe that anything below a 6/10 is complete garbage so almost no one ever goes there.
And I think there's a good reason for that. This may just be my observation and opinion, but most games out there are simply mediocre, earning the 5-6 ratings. A 3/10 to me screams "do not play this game - it is utter beta-trash."
I doubt that if Ryse was such a flop that it truly deserved a 3/10, that MS or that studio would let it fly as a launch title. Just looking at the curve of reviews for Ryse, the 3/10 is the only one that stands out as being a little too harsh. A 3 would mean that a game is nigh-unplayable to me. Even if it was just a fancy tech demo, I'd give it more than a 3. Hell, to make a completely unrelated comparison, Dear Esther wasn't much of a game. Just a walking story, but people loved it and it garnered some high scores.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sounds interes-

*Xbox One*

Oh...

Well maybe it'll be on PC someday but my bet is that they're going to have to keep it console exclusive for some time.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Brian Tams said:
This will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth, as the gold acquired through play is paltry compared to what is required to purchase booster packs, so folks willing to shell out some additional cash will have easy access to upgrades, whereas players farming gold will have to work endlessly for it.
That is an absolute deal breaker for me. Fuck any game company that, after tacking a price onto their game, force micro-transactions down your throat, and make it next to impossible to upgrade your character without them. Fuck Crytek, and fuck this game.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Almost every review for this game has said it isn't even worth the retail price, just to make it more insulting.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Brian Tams said:
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Almost every review for this game has said it isn't even worth the retail price, just to make it more insulting.
Add me to that list, I was at least interested in the setting (not getting an Xbox One so wouldn't get to play anyway) but that's damn disappointingly insulting.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?m willing to forgive a lot of this game problems as long as it can capture the feeling of playing as a roman legionnaire, but a six hour campaign just isn?t going to do it for me especially since I also have to get a xbox one.

It?s a shame because I really like the idea of playing as a roman legionnaire, if this game was longer and maybe a bit better(most reviews on metacritic are mixed) It might have become a system seller for me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
A six hour campaign... Ya, no thanks.

Also, even though this reviewer enjoyed the combat, the majority of other reviews I've seen have called the combat extremely repetitive. Basically, the game is just eye candy with a decent story. Pretty much a tech demo.

Aug 1, 2010
The story sounds very, very cool and I don't even mind a short campaign, but the combat sounds terrible from the way you describe it.

The "simplicity" makes it sound like the game just plays itself.

Also there that one... little... nagging... issue... *cough* XBONE *cough*

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Midniqht said:
Jim Sterling changed the reviews policy recently to actually use the entire scale much like he did at Destructoid.

Maybe Josh just happened to enjoy it.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Woah, a cripplingly short campaign with microtransactions. Good job, Microsoft! Not only are you expecting people will pay to progress, but you're expecting they'll pay to progress in a game that's diabolically short. That's... I don't understand what their logic is.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
A six hour campaign... Ya, no thanks.

Also, even though this reviewer enjoyed the combat, the majority of other reviews I've seen have called the combat extremely repetitive. Basically, the game is just eye candy with a decent story. Pretty much a tech demo.
I'd also like to add... "microtransactions..."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Really, on a game like this? Are they really going to try to ram pay-to-win down our throats on this one?

That it's an inordinate amount of grinding to accrue gold only makes the situation more laughable. There's nothing here that I haven't seen already in God of War, or a dozen "sword and sandal" movies and TV shows. It isn't as if this will be some must-have fighting game.

Yet they go for the EA FIFA treatment on it...okay...have fun with that guys. I agree, it looks like an interesting rental, or a good bargain title.

With a 6-8 hour campaign, I am really curious who thought it would be acceptable as a AAA title. I'll be surprised if this actually performs to such a standard.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
Having watched more than a couple people play this, and had my own hand at this . . . thing I couldn't possibly call a game with a straight face . . . I have no idea how you came to your conclusions.

"The simple, yet always dynamic combat is how it really sinks its teeth into you."

Dynamic? Really? In another area of the article you even call it challenging. The 6-8 hour campaign is an issue, I agree, but when you seem to be experiencing combat form another . . . game . . . entirely, I just don't know how to take this review seriously.

Joshua Vanderwal wrote this. There are voices on the Escapist I respect and listen to. I'm sorry, but I don't feel like this voice is one of them, especially after this review. Maybe another review, at a later time, will change my mind. I'd prefer that be true, I certainly don't go out looking to dislike things or people at a base.

-

On the matter discussed above: Microtransactions. A game this short and depth deprived doesn't need microtransactions it needs gameplay that isn't wooden, repetitive and mostly absent. It needs a full campaign - not a fraction of one. It needs to not be a graphics obsessed movie that grudgingly shoehorned a few barely present 'gameplay mechanics' into it. It needs countless things.

It didn't need microtransactions. It needed to be a bloody game.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Midniqht said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Actually, they probably won't. People will go and buy them regardless, just because they want something to play. It's not like the PS4 isn't experiencing the same potential sales "issues" with a lack of good launch titles either.

OT: I pre-ordered Ryse and Dead Rising 3, and they've both gotten pretty good reviews from here. I generally trust the Escapist reviews, although brevity is a minor thing to me as far as a review goes. As long as the game itself and combat is fun (which is why I bought Ryse in the first place), I'll be happy. Looking at Metacritic, Ryse only has one "bad" review of a 3/10, which looks to be the outlier here. Rarely does any game ever deserve a 3/10, so I think that may just be a site desperate for hits.
Adam Sessler gave Ryse a 2/5. The thing is, his review is generally known to be more honest due to Rev3 Games scores not being registered on Metacritic (which is a good thing). Ryse has been getting a little beat up in reviews due to it being stupidly short and very repetitive. Dead Rising 3 has been getting good reviews but its agreed that its not as good as previous Dead Rising games.

Trusting Metacritic scores for games is a pretty big gamble and I'd highly suggest you ready the reviews instead of trusting Metacritic due to the damage it has done to the way games are reviewed and how certain developers make games. I'm looking at you Total War Rome II...