Ryu And Roy Confirmed as Smash Bros. 4's Next DLC Fighters - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ryu And Roy Confirmed as Smash Bros. 4's Next DLC Fighters - Update

The latest Super Smash Bros. update completely spilled the beans on the fighter's next two DLC characters.

Update: Nintendo has officially confirmed Ryu and Roy, adding pages for them to the official Smash Bros. website [http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html]. As a surprise, both fighters are available... right now! Just like Lucas, Roy will cost $3.99 for one platform, or $4.99 for both, while Ryu is a little pricer at $4.99/$5.99, though he does come with the Suzaku Castle Stage.

[gallery=4262]

Additionally, there are now several DLC packages for sale [http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html] that include the DLC fighters alongside Mii Fighter costumes.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html]

Original Story: If you've been keeping score at home, you may have remembered a couple months ago how some dataminers found data pertaining to Street Fighter's Ryu and Fire Emblem's Roy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140478-Smash-Bros-4s-Next-DLC-Likely-to-be-Roy-And-Ryu] in an update to the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. Now, the latest update to the game has all but given away the ghost, giving us images, sound files, and even videos of the two characters in action, essentially confirming that they will be the next DLC fighters.

First up, check out Ryu's video:

Then Roy's:

From the looks of things, Roy is just an alternate skin for Ike, while Ryu seems to be his own unique character, complete with his signature hadouken.

But that's not all that was uncovered in the latest update. It looks like Ryu will also be getting a new, unique stage. Check it out:

No doubt Nintendo was preparing to announce these characters at its upcoming E3 Nintendo Direct event, but, I guess that's what you get for not using better data encryption...

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/39opwc/roy_and_ryu_confirmed_for_smash/]

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I thought Capcom and Nintendo had frosty a relationship, how much money did they need to snag Ryu?

As for Roy, well, everyone wanted it. That's what? 5 characters from Fire Emblem?
Urge to buy FE: Awakening rising.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Now that Awkward Zombie webcomic Roy will have a happy ending!

Also holy crap Ryu??? Unlike Mewtwo, I am now tempting to buy this DLC!! No offence to Mewtwo, I just lost interest in the game to justify to get the DLC.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Josh123914 said:
I thought Capcom and Nintendo had frosty a relationship, how much money did they need to snag Ryu?

As for Roy, well, everyone wanted it. That's what? 5 characters from Fire Emblem?
Don't know if it frosty. After all Mega Man is already in the game.

Being the quintessential game fighter it is cool that Ryu is in there. Rather funny too (one shoto, instead of thousands in the roster.)

But Roy... Eh. Another JRPG magic swordsman. Doesn't add much. I was hoping for Shantae or Pirate K. Rool.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I guess this is Capcom's consolation to Nintendo for not releasing any Street Fighter on their systems since Street Fighter Alpha. Still pretty cool having Ryu in Smash. Also, you sure Roy is an Ike clone? In the video it looks like he still has some cloned Marth moves (side-smash/Flare Blade and Blazer).

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Have to admit I'm curious as to how Ryu will work, but I can't wait to try him. And I'm eager to see Ryu's stage in action. Hopefully they brought some of the Street Fighter music with him. I'm not really hyped about Roy though. Just another clone or skinswap to throw on the pile.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
I think trying to play Ryu with Smash-style controls will cause my brain to reboot.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
So with Ryu.....all we need is Chrono and Simon Belmont before this just becomes Videogames: The Videogame

Josh123914 said:
I imagine Capcapom didn't have the clout to ask for much, what with their money troubles the past few years, but so far Cappy has done good for the 3DS with Super SF4 and MonHon, so I think the two companies might be back on happy ground.

I sure hope so, they're my two favourites.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
YES! YES YES! YES YES YES!

Soon....SOON WE WILL HAVE CAPCOM VS. NITENDO! XD

But seriously, this is pretty fucking cool, They seem to be basing him off his SF4 version.
Ginger Ryu and Ken better be alts XD

Here's hoping Gulie's theme gets into the OST.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
YES! YES YES! YES YES YES!
I'm almost certain you mean:

OT: These two are pretty good additions. Hopefully they show off some more fighters at E3 too. Don't know if I'll buy either of them though...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Now add Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat and I think we can safely say that "Smash Bros." is pretty much the crossover game...

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I didn't know Roy was an Ike clone. I think Chrom should have been a Ike clone, as his in-game fighting style has strong, crushing moves as opposed to Marth and Lucina's more regal, fencing styles. Roy looks cool, but everyone knows how much I love me some Chrom.

As for Ryu, it's nice to see him, certainly was unexpected. I would have rather seen this live at Sakurai's event tomorrow, but leaks make the world go round nowadays unfortunately.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Josh123914 said:
Go get it, like right now! If you've never played a Fire Emblem game before, you'll like it, if you have, you'll still like it! It became one of my favorite games of all time within a short time after I started to play it.

ShakerSilver said:
you sure Roy is an Ike clone? In the video it looks like he still has some cloned Marth moves (side-smash/Flare Blade and Blazer).
That's what I thought as well, but watching it again, it looks like he moves like Ike, even if he has some of his old moves. I could be wrong, maybe he is a mix of the two.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
There's actually a little detail in one of those videos that makes me doubt them. When Roy hits Falco with his fire attack, Falco is turned into a roasted turkey. That roasted turkey image doesn't look like it belongs in Smash Bros, looks kinda copy and pasted into the vid.

I would be super disappointed if these were hoaxes, they look really good.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Josh123914 said:

Get it. I love every second of that game. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. Fire Emblem Awakening is a VERY close second.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Supahewok said:
There's actually a little detail in one of those videos that makes me doubt them. When Roy hits Falco with his fire attack, Falco is turned into a roasted turkey. That roasted turkey image doesn't look like it belongs in Smash Bros, looks kinda copy and pasted into the vid.

I would be super disappointed if these were hoaxes, they look really good.
That's actually the style of the generic food recovery items if you look at them close enough. The turkey icon is actually in the game

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Supahewok said:
That roasted turkey image doesn't look like it belongs in Smash Bros, looks kinda copy and pasted into the vid.
That's because it's a variant of the Food item, which funny enough, all looked tacked on into the game already.
Plus that bit of humor is in almost every character ending, formatted and shot in a similar fashion to every other ending. So it's without a doubt made by same fellas.

OT:
Ok, yes. THIS makes sense.

Smash was missing a fighting game character, so why not the face of fighting games! Though I would have preferred Chun Li, I hope to see what they can do to make him stand out amongst the cast.

As for Roy, same thing I said about Ryu. I really am not in the mood for slow Fire Marth, so I hope he's varied significantly.
Being attractive in HD isn't enough...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
o_o My first thought was, it was Ryu Hayabusa. And then I was like, "Well that can't be too kid-friendly." XD