S.O.E. Rewards Online Gamers Who Help Japan

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
S.O.E. Rewards Online Gamers Who Help Japan

Sony Online Entertainment is providing exclusive in-game items to players who donate to Japanese relief funds.

A lot of game companies have been pitching in to help Japan recover from the devastating Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami that occurred on March 11th. Sony has been one of the biggest contributors to relief funds, having put in 300 million yen (~$3.6 million U.S. dollars), but it turns out that the company isn't done helping out. Sony Online Entertainment is now working to raise some more cash, and it's doing so by appealing to its players.

It turns out that S.O.E. is now encouraging its players to contribute to relief funds, too. If players decide to donate to recovery efforts via Station Cash, they'll be rewarded with special in-game items in EverQuest, Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures players can earn a cherry blossom tree if they donate 500 Station Cash ($5). The same amount will earn a Memory of Spring statue in EverQuest II. Finally, Star Wars Galaxies players can buy a $5 <a href=http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/A_Stuffed_Tauntaun_Toy>stuffed Tauntaun toy loot card.

S.O.E. will match each player's purchase with a $10 donation to the American Red Cross relief efforts in Japan. Today is the last day that these in-game items will be for sale, so if you play any of these games and haven't done your part to support relief efforts, this would be a great way to help out.

Source: Massively

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
SOE... those are the guys who killed Star Wars Galaxies with their horrible japanese ideas of what makes a good game, aye?

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I still hate Sony Online Entertainment despite the fact that they run my favorite shooter (Planetside). Oh well, good on them.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Does anybody even still play the games that they're giving stuff away for? Not much of an incentive to donate, if you ask me. Perhaps people should donate out of, you know, the goodness of their heart and respect for their fellow man.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Oh I thought this meant retro active rewarding people who bought the Theme background from various prices at 1st not that there we're other means to donate. (Still cool though)

Though I hope they release a statement on how much was raised by their various donation options.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Serris said:
these things make me sad.
so many developers do their part to aid japan, yet i've not once heard anything along the lines of "videogame developers aid japan" on tv or in newspapers.
Blame the media all hating video games -_- I mean where all rapists and murderers in there eyes -_-

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
ZahrDalsk said:
SOE... those are the guys who killed Star Wars Galaxies with their horrible japanese ideas of what makes a good game, aye?
Agreed I loved SWG, but even more interesting is that there are people who apparently still play it enough to be donated this tauntaun toy. God I can remember the good ole day of getting lost on Tatooines desert....sigh =(

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Snake Plissken said:
Does anybody even still play the games that they're giving stuff away for? Not much of an incentive to donate, if you ask me. Perhaps people should donate out of, you know, the goodness of their heart and respect for their fellow man.
I think that's the general idea.
Sony is doing the same thing on psn: I bought some theme for $25. It's ugly as sin, way too busy for my taste, and I'll probably never use it but I bought it just to make a quick easy donation to a country that has given me so much entertainment.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
You guys don't pay attention to Valve, do you? The TF2 Mann Co. Store has been selling hats for $7.50, $19.99 and $99.99 for a few days now, and says that all the proceeds are going to the Red Cross for helping Japan. Seems like the same sort of thing going on with SOE.