Sacred 2 DRM: Try Before You Buy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sacred 2 DRM: Try Before You Buy

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel [http://www.cdvusa.com/] that actually encourages owners to share the game with their friends.

With the game's new "Try Before You Buy" system, gamers who purchase either the downloaded or retail versions of the game are encouraged to install it on other computers, as often as they want. These shared copies will work as fully-functional demos for one calendar day, offering both the complete single player campaign as well as the multiplayer LAN mode. After the demo expires, players can either purchase the game online or uninstall it with no harm done.

"We feel that consumers should have a right to choose, and this innovative system offers the perfect purchasing option for gamers," said Ascaron Managing Director Heiko tom Felde. "It's a great system for family and friends, allowing everyone the opportunity to try out the game and play together, then making a purchase decision."

"This innovative digital rights management solution raises the bar on how consumers can sample games before they buy them," added cdv Software Marketing Director Mario Kroll. "Rather than showcasing only a limited character or content selection, as most traditional demos do, gamers can share and enjoy the full game experience, trying out the features that most appeal to them, and getting a true sense of the full game."

Sacred 2 is a "giant, open-ended and seamless" action-RPG containing hundreds of dungeons, intelligent enemies and a variety of challenging quests. The PC version of the game is set for release in North America on November 11, while the PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com] editions will hit store shelves in February 2009.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5079431/sacred-2-drm-encourages-sharing-caring]

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Sorry, I just felt like this needed a separate post.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
This could be sooooo open to exploiatation... If it isnt synched to a server you could just set you clock time 3 hours back when it is about to run out

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Unless I misunderstood the thread, you still need to know someone that has payed up for the full game to try this. It doesn't sound as though they will release the game for free on the net where you can try it for 24 hours before buying it. Its a step in the right direction but rather limited if you don't know anyone else that was going to get the game anyway.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
All well and good, but Ascaron needs to make a Patrician 4 or a Port Royale 3.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
This could be sooooo open to exploiatation... If it isnt synched to a server you could just set you clock time 3 hours back when it is about to run out
I've seen this before in my mother casual games. It's directly logged in total game time, EVEN if you don't save. The only way to exploit would be to hack the coding of the game.

Oh, and I approve as well.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
But wait... am I not reading this clearly? Isn't the article basically saying the full game can only be loaded on one computer?

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
But wait... am I not reading this clearly? Isn't the article basically saying the full game can only be loaded on one computer?
I was just about to post something praising this system as not treating gamers like criminals when you made me realise that. The article doesn't say anything about how the game differentiates between the real version and the trial version of the game. The only thing I can think up is registering your installation online with a key, which if you ever want to move computers or reformat yours requires you to cancel the registered computer and re-register your new one.

If anyone has more information/the game it would be interesting to hear how it works.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I think it's kinda like the free passes you get with Team Fortress 2: install and play the game for some time, and then get prompted to buy, or it doesn't work, in which case you uninstall. The difference here is that you have to have a full game, and all other installs are like demos.

raemiel said:
Lvl 64 Klutz" post="7.76283.899489 said:
I think that the first copy that is installed is the full copy, and subsequent copies are demos. I'm not completely sure how it works; I'm just guessing here.

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
I have a laptop and a desktop.

What happens if I want to install a copy on both computers? To me it seems that it isn't possible and that you can only install 1 full copy on _1_ computer. If you own 2 computers, tough luck.

Perhaps you get a personal key? Sure, but that means you could easily exploit it by giving it to friends. Then we're back to the exact problem it tries to solve.

I do not approve of this system until this is cleared up.