"Sad Affleck" Meme Surfaces Following Negative Batman Vs. Superman Reviews

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"Sad Affleck" Meme Surfaces Following Negative Batman Vs. Superman Reviews

Poor Ben.

So reviews have started to come in for not great [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/batman%20vs%20superman]. Despite Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill's excellent performances as both Batman and Superman, the consensus seems to be that the movie just isn't written very well, and is dominated by effects-driven nonsense.

It's hard to stay positive in the face of such negativity, and in a recent interview with Yahoo movies [https://www.yahoo.com/movies/batman-v-superman-negative-reviews-spawn-sad-211429833.html], fans couldn't help but notice poor Ben Affleck's somber expression. A little bit of editing, including an Arrested Develpment-style overlay of "The Sound of Silence", and the "Sad Affleck" meme is born.

The meme is a callback to the whole sad Keanu [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keanu-is-sad-sad-keanu] thing a few years back, and you can't help but feel sorry for the guy who just wanted to do his best as Batman.

"What is really going to matter, I believe, is what the audience says," said Cavill in the Yahoo Movies interview. "Because they're the ones who are buying tickets, they're the ones who want to see more of this kind of story or not and so the audience's voice is the loudest and after this weekend, the audience, at least partly, will have spoken."

Source: Yahoo [https://www.yahoo.com/movies/batman-v-superman-negative-reviews-spawn-sad-211429833.html]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Sometimes its the script, sometimes its bad actors and sometimes its just a complete directing mess.

In this case i think its the script and the direction. They tried to jampack into one movie what several marvel movies did to set up the avengers.

Not only that but our suposed "heros" murder people left and right without a care yet the (in movie) world is suposed to cheer them on?

Yeah thats not going to happen im afraid... or atleast thats i would say if the DC movie makers had any clue whatsoever how to make good comic book based movies... wich they clearly dont.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dont be sad Ben, you were the best thing in this movie. Like a piece of gold in a cup of hot steamy shit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I liked the movie. It had some minor issues with pacing (at onde point it seems like it passed something) and the teases for sequels were terrible but the ambition was there And it delivers.

Kind of suprised that it has that many bad reviews.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
I knew this would happen. I want to go to a reality where he turned this stupid superhero thing down and directed The Stand like he was meant to.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
From what I heard, even from a good chunk of the bad reviews, he was apparently one of the best things about it, which is really ironic considering the absolute shit storm people threw over him being Batman. I'm going to see it later today, so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised but I'm trying to go into this with as open of a mind as I can.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
Here's what I've heard - the film is garbage, but Affleck and Cavill turn in great performances, and should both hold their heads high. If anyone should be sad, it's the director.

Also, Affleck is going through a divorce at the moment, I've heard those often don't feel great.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm almost of the opinion that this was scripted just for lulz. Ben's known for goofing around from time to time.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
moggett88 said:
Here's what I've heard - the film is garbage, but Affleck and Cavill turn in great performances, and should both hold their heads high. If anyone should be sad, it's the director.

Also, Affleck is going through a divorce at the moment, I've heard those often don't feel great.
Really? Cavill? To me he was nothing special. He wasnt bad, but he didnt exactly stand out either.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Batfleck is Sadfleck. Poor guy. From all I've heard he put his heart into the movie.
From what I've heard he's the best thing in the movie.
He was really good, I liked him as Batman. You could tell he gave a crap about it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Batfleck is Sadfleck. Poor guy. From all I've heard he put his heart into the movie.
From what I've heard he's the best thing in the movie.
Without a doubt. Affleck did a great job. Which is why this clip makes me so sad for him.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Is it wrong that I laughed at his expression?

The sad part is that he is one of the few things I hear getting praised in the movie. Though, apparently Batman kills people in this movie and that isn't something I look forward to.

I might be going to see it with a friend this afternoon. We both have expectations so low that we are planning to mock it afterwards to bring joy back into our hearts. We both hated Man of Steel, which seems to be the baseline for whether or not you will like this movie.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
And lets not forget all the Sad Batman pics that came along with the teaser pics for this movie:

Seriously though, I like Ben and from what I hear he actually makes for a pretty damn good Batman and Bruce Wayne...just - as the article indicated - the movie itself is bad.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
At least he;s not complaining like that guy who directed Gods of Egypt.
I bet he wants to. I bet that he keeps reaching for his keyboard to post a lengthy rant on Facebook, but DC has stationed a man behind him to rack his knuckles with a wood stick whenever he tries to type anything.