Sad Endings That Are Good (Potential Spoilers)

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
You can probably guess why I'm bringing this up. In case you can't though...

So, with all the hoopla over Mass Effect 3s ending, many people seem to think people are upset over it because it's a sad ending. Most say they hate the ending not because it was sad, but because it was bad. It's been pointed out that sad endings can still be good endings (most often Red Dead Redemption is used as a prime example of this). So I'm wondering; what sad endings do you consider to still be good? Can be from anything really, not just games.

One I can think of right away is Black Hawk Down (yes, I'm well aware it's a real event, but bear with me). The results of the Battle of Mogadishu led to a Pyrrhic victory, with 18 Americans killed, 73 wounded, and one captured, the mission was supposed to last an hour at most but dragged on for a day, and the political fallout forced the U.S. to withdraw from Somalia. While this is sad, it's still a good ending to both the excellent movie and book (yes, I'm well aware the book does continue a bit after the battle, but still).

Saving Private Ryan ends with the entire squad dying save for Private Ryan, which leaves him emotionally scared for the rest of his life, trying to make his life mean something in order to repay the men that died trying to save him. Sad, but still very good.

F.E.A.R. 2 has Beckett's whole squad die (at least one by his own hand), most of whom went insane and/or died in horrific fashions. Beckett himself is captured by Alma and is raped by her, and ends up becoming the father to her child. As bad as this all is, I still consider the ending good.

So, what about you?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ever seen Disney's The Little Match Girl? Now that was a good sad ending.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Perhaps you should spoiler those endings. I know they're all a little old, but if I didn't know the ending of Saving Private Ryan, I'd not want to find it out in any way other than by watching the film. Damn good film it is too.

OT: Hm, I guess Gladiator technically could be called a sad but good ending.
Everyone dies! The love interest and her son are saved though, and Maximus sees his murdered family again in the afterlife.
Although thinking about it, I guess peoples mileage may vary as to how sad it actually was.

I'll say Drive has a sad but good ending as well.
He saves the woman he loves, and her son, but has to leave her behind, and probably dies from that pretty nasty stomach wound.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Erja_Perttu said:
Perhaps you should spoiler those endings.
I warned of spoilers in the header. Plus, both movies are old enough where I figured I wouldn't need a spoiler box.

Another sad but good ending I forgot:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare ends on a very low note - pretty much everyone dies. You stop the bad guy, yes, but at the time, it appeared that you and your squad all died in the process. But while sad, the game ended on a very high note of excellence.

nerd51075

Jul 18, 2009
I really loved the ending of Orwell's 1984, and that of Huxley's Brave New World. I also enjoyed the ending of Hamlet, Othello, and MacBeth.

I really love how the protagonists in the first two ultimately lose their respective struggles against a society they're trying to resist.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm just gonna make a list of things with slightly sadder endings that were still really good.

Futurama Episode - Jurassic Bark
Defendor
Bubba Ho-Tep
The Professional
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I'm sure there are a lot more I could think of, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I'm not spoiler tagging things in a thread about endings. I'll name the work before anything importent, that's the only warning you'll get.

Does Silent Hill 2 not end pretty sadly? I've never played it, but I've heard that while it has various endings and a branching story, it revolves around your character going insane and pretty much either dying or killing themselves in various ways, percieving different endings and stories through different perceptions of one fairly common and unchanging set of "real" events.

His Dark Materials (a book series consisting of (The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in America and for the movie), The Subtly knife and the Amber Spyglass) ends on a hell of a down note with the main characters sacrificing their new relationship, in the throes of young love no less, to provide what is essentially a passage from purgatory to a happier afterlife where people are reunited with not only their friends and family but their very souls.

It's not a medium commonly applauded for its story, but there are too many songs with bad endings to list. No, wait, don't call the square-wheeled ambulance for me yet: How many songs are there about regretting not picking up that one girl in [insert setting here]? Or picking her up for an emotionless one-night fling and regretting never seeing her again? Or the slight variation of not realising an existing relationship was faling apart before it was too late?

I don't know any of the stories, but a fairly commonly known piece of internet trivia is the origin of the phrase Deus Ex Machina: in ancient greek plays a man playing a god would decend from a rope at the end of tragic stories, just when everything was at its worst, and make everything right. A slightly less common piece of trivia is that this was generally ignored by the general populace: the story ended with everyone in tears, the wierd bit with the God was put in to give the upper class and what was essentially Greece's royal family (the people who were fairly stupid but wielded the power to literally execute the playwrite) the happy "sunshine and rainbows" ending that they wanted.

And for contrast a very good "now it's magically all better" ending: Paul (that's the movie about the alien staring Simon Pegg and the other guy who nobody remembers the name of). The main character gets shot in the chest with a shotgun, giving him just enough time to choke out a shocked goodbye before dying in his best friend's arms. Then Paul (that's the alien) pull out a magical "well, it turns out my species can fix that" power, pulling him back from beyond the grave and giving him a second chance. The importent bit that made it good is that this power was introduced waaay back in the movie as part of Paul's character development, one of a number of wierd alien powers that he had and not just a wierd plot point inserted in to make the ending be tense but still resolve happily. It almost certainly was inserted in for exactly that reason, but my point is that it doesn't seem that way because it was inserted in well.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Persona 4.

Train ride + Teddie's monologue = Perfect JRPG ending about friendship that wasn't cheesy and cliche.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I take take sad endings if I feel its..."fair" or it works

like Inglorious basterds...alot of the main charachters die (well the ones I cared about most) but I dont mind it so much because I guess it was one of those "we'll do this at any cost" type things

Pans labryth...rips your heart out...but you know its not all bad

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The ending of Cowboy Bebop (the show) is pretty sad, yet damn good and fits perfectly with the entire overarching theme of the show.

And the entire movie MoonChild is both said and incredibly good.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Strain42 said:
I'm just gonna make a list of things with slightly sadder endings that were still really good.

Futurama Episode - Jurassic Bark
Defendor
Bubba Ho-Tep
The Professional
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I'm sure there are a lot more I could think of, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Why'd you have to bring up Jurassic Bark!

Also Defendor and One flew over the cuckoos nest was brilliant.

If you havent seen it, Super is also fantastic.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
soren7550 said:
One I can think of right away is Black Hawk Down (yes, I'm well aware it's a real event, but bear with me). The results of the Battle of Mogadishu led to a Pyrrhic victory, with 18 Americans killed, 73 wounded, and one captured, the mission was supposed to last an hour at most but dragged on for a day, and the political fallout forced the U.S. to withdraw from Somalia. While this is sad, it's still a good ending to both the excellent movie and book (yes, I'm well aware the book does continue a bit after the battle, but still).
I'm not sure if I'd constitute the Battle of Mogadishu as a happy ending, as the actual fallout has been pretty horrific.

Mortai Gravesend said:
Edit: Wait, why did I spoiler details of a game that is over a decade old now? Oh well.
Because the game's just that good.

On topic, I'd go with Mask of the Betrayer.