Saddest moments during a game? (Spoilers inbound)

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
I dont know how to do spoilers thing so be warned.

Sarah in the first 15 mins of The last of us. just damn.
and many other times that would take too long to type.

Parts of beyond two souls.

The end for bioshock 2 for me was touching.

Luthor55555

Feb 16, 2015
All the way down here and no one has put anything from the last of us? Well those first 20 min in the intro are so intense i was not ready for all the feels when (spoiler alert) Sarah bites it after fighting so hard to save her. The whimpering noises she makes and Joel's begging her to stay alive hit me every time and I've played it like 4 times already. Still hits me hard though...

And yeah ME3 has some good ones too but I think mostly they have been covered up above.

Also Crono dying in Chrono Trigger. Not just when it first happens but when you think that what you tried to do to bring him back can't work.

And last but not least, in FF6 when armageddon actually happens and Celes wakes up with the whole world wrecked. the worst was when she tried to kill herself. I had never run into a game that a character actually tried too kill themselves. Not like a sacrifice for the greater good but just out of sheer despair. So many feels...

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
WolfThomas said:
"Where's Hawke?" "..." "WHERE'S HAWKE?"
Oh god dammit, I remember that bit. You've got that description right, felt like they decided to kick me right in the teeth with that one.

One that stuck out for me Mass Effect 3 that hasn't been brought up yet was this little bit after you wake up from the party in the Citadel DLC.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Along with the beginning of The Last of Us and Walking Dead Season 1, I'll admit I'm that idiot who got really depressed for a second there when that thing happens to Bloodwing from Borderlands 2. As a Mordecai player, seeing my partner in crime just go away like that really put a damper on how I was feeling the rest of that day.

Also Silent Hill 2. That shit still tears me up inside. Granted, it probably came to me in a crucial part of my life so I'm always gonna be extra sensitive to anything that game has.

Captcha: Apparently vegetarians don't eat monster trucks. Huh. You learn something new every day.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Thomas Was Alone contains one of the best told stories I've ever experienced in a video game, it is one of my favorite games of all time as a result of this. If you haven't played it yet, don't get this game spoiled for yourself as you really need to experience it for yourself.
The scene that almost always makes me cry is when Thomas and co. decide to sacrifice themselves by entering the digital world's creation matrix, enabling them to alter the system to allow the rest of the AIs to escape into the internet at the cost of themselves. Another equally hard hitting scene is when John is left alone after everyone else was seemingly eaten by the pixel cloud, and his reaction to the events, especially when he didn't want to be taken last if only so he wouldn't be alone.
There's also the final level where Sam and Jo finally escape, I can't explain why, maybe it's the narration, maybe its the music but I always feel sad.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
You know Iv never seen this one mentioned but I choked up at Old World Blues in fallout new vegas. When you finally meet Dr. Mobius face to face. And he tells you the story about how he destroyed his friends to protect the world and in his grief did the same thing to himself. Then he goes on about how he still thinks and works and tries to be a scientists...then asks you not to disturb the equations hes written on the floor.

Its a really sad moment where you realize just how long Mobius has been there and been forced to drive his friends into a cycle of fear and hatred of him and him alone just so they dont spread more chaos into the rest of the world. What makes it worse is if you look at the ground in his dome it really is covered in equations.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
End of Walking Dead Season 1,end of Silent Hill Shattered Memories, end of Dreamfall The Longest Journey, that moment in Dragon Quest 5 where our main hero is petrified for many years in front of the house,that moment in Walking Dead where the dog is suffering and finally that moment when one of the best games you have played ends.. man why did it have to end?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei IV. Three story routes like most SMT games: Law/Chaos/Neutral. You have three companions who have generally accompanied you in the story on your journey through the game, expressing their own opinions of your situation and sometimes branching off and separating due to ideological differences. You don't really separate for a more extended period until you're closer to the end of the game, though. Each story route is associated with one of your three companions, and no matter which route you choose, you will have to kill the other two you didn't side with.

Now, the Law and Chaos characters aren't really that hard of a hard pill to swallow, but the character you must kill in both the Law and Chaos routes? It's a goddamn sad fight, with a perfect musical theme, and plenty of emotional weight present.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Zack Fair.

Angeal Hewley.

Crisis core was brutal towards its characters!

Also, Tellah from Final fantasy 4, as well as Palom and Porom.

Old Final fantasy has some damn good writing.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Yeah TWD S1 ending is up there for me too, I mean fuck I told her to shoot...

Also there's a part in Terranigma where you get caught in an avalange with a couple of goats but the husband goat is gravely injured and dies and the wife goat cannibalizes his corpse to survive, I was like "Damn", that's some heavy shit for a SNES game.

Oh yeah and like Dalisclock said, Mother 3, the whole thing but there's a really sad highlight near the begginning when Hinawa dies, Flint's reaction is just spot on fucking depressing and it's all done without words because whoever is the main character of the chapter is silent while you play that chapter, but really that scene is just perfectly executed and depressing as hell.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Spider RedNight said:
Along with the beginning of The Last of Us and Walking Dead Season 1, I'll admit I'm that idiot who got really depressed for a second there when that thing happens to Bloodwing from Borderlands 2. As a Mordecai player, seeing my partner in crime just go away like that really put a damper on how I was feeling the rest of that day.

Also Silent Hill 2. That shit still tears me up inside. Granted, it probably came to me in a crucial part of my life so I'm always gonna be extra sensitive to anything that game has.

Captcha: Apparently vegetarians don't eat monster trucks. Huh. You learn something new every day.

Ah yes Bloodwing, now that was a depressing fight.

But another moment in that game that made me depressed was when you meet Angel and then she tells you that you must kill her.

And you don't want to because she was a cool friend but what hits you is that the normally cool and funny Handsome Jack is pleading and begging you not to kill her.

Damn he had a good voice actor.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Groxnax said:
Spider RedNight said:

Ah yes Bloodwing, now that was a depressing fight.

But another moment in that game that made me depressed was when you meet Angel and then she tells you that you must kill her.

And you don't want to because she was a cool friend but what hits you is that the normally cool and funny Handsome Jack is pleading and begging you not to kill her.

Damn he had a good voice actor.
GOD yes. I can listen to Dameon Clarke talk as Handsome Jack all friggin' day. Aaaand I do, sometimes; after all, the Doppelganger class was created for a reason and I ain't complaining.

OT: .....Well crap. I completely forgot about Brothers last night when I first posted. And the end of Red Dead Redemption. -sigh- I'm gonna go play the weirdly cheerful Undead Redemption to cheer myself up.

[sub]Nothing I can do about that dormant Brothers sadness, though[/sub]

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
The end of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky/Time/Darkness.

Maybe I just wasn't expecting it. Maybe I was just overemotional because my grandfather was dying and PMD was what I picked up to lose myself in because, hey, it's Pokemon, it can't be that bad, right? I wasn't prepared for

your best friend screaming your name on the beach, a year after your death, obviously still not over it despite the futile reassurance of NPCs.

I mean it got better after the credits but boy did that one absolutely wreck my shit.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Kingdom Hearts 2:

When you think that Goofy may have just died. Just what the hell disney? what the actual hell?

Dragon Age Inquisition

Hawke... My precious Hawke... I spent a long time crying over making that decision, But ultimately, I have to save Alistair. I just had to.

The ending of Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life. I get that it's meant to be a peaceful end, but jesus christ, it made me cry so much. I put so many hours into that little guy's life. :'(

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Padwolf said:
Kingdom Hearts 2:

When you think that Goofy may have just died. Just what the hell disney? what the actual hell?

Dragon Age Inquisition

Hawke... My precious Hawke... I spent a long time crying over making that decision, But ultimately, I have to save Alistair. I just had to.

The ending of Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life. I get that it's meant to be a peaceful end, but jesus christ, it made me cry so much. I put so many hours into that little guy's life. :'(
Wait...

Alistair? In my game was Stroud and honestly, between Stroud and Hawke I couldn't have sacrificied Stroud any faster

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
MCerberus said:
The N64 Zelda games just looooooooooved existential despair, but the "no, everything's not okay but life's worth living" end of MM made some happysad tears.

And then there's HL2:E2
Alyx is clutching the corpse of her father sobbing long enough for the shock of what just happened to wear off

Although not a tearjearker, for a definition of sad, we have Spec Ops: The Line "who said I did".

edit- oooooh and Pey'j in BG&E
What makes it worse is that it's looking very likely is that will be the last thing we ever see of the HL series.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
The Walking Dead S2 ending I got...

I mean...just...even now. That whole season was a series of gut punches, but dat ending. Uggggh.

Aside from that? Honestly? I'm not really emotionally affected by games. Not to the point of tears, anyway. Kind of why this one surprised me so damned much.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Diablo2000 said:
Padwolf said:
Kingdom Hearts 2:

Dragon Age Inquisition

Wait...

Alistair? In my game was Stroud and honestly, between Stroud and Hawke I couldn't have sacrificied Stroud any faster
Sir, I wish to spoil nothing for you! But he is an option in some cases. Yeah, when it was Stroud in mine I had no problems letting Stroud take the hits for Hawke. Hawke is my best buddy!