Saddest moments during a game? (Spoilers inbound)

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
theSovietConnection said:
Oh god dammit, I remember that bit. You've got that description right, felt like they decided to kick me right in the teeth with that one.

One that stuck out for me Mass Effect 3 that hasn't been brought up yet was this little bit after you wake up from the party in the Citadel DLC.

Goddammit man, I didn't know that that was a thing, but I'm in public and it almost made me bawl. haven't played Mass Effect 3 in a year probably and it can basically bring me to tears.

I guess Mass effect is obviously a great example for this thread as so many people have pointed out. Additionally, there's the moments from Dragon Age, Walking Dead, and Last of Us that everyone knows about. And of course there's THAT SCENE from inFamous 2 with Zeke that had me feeling awful.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I'm going to not mention Final Fantasy like everyone else (but on that note, RIP Yang and Cid--your deaths came too close together, like a one-two punch of sad and also party crippling) but instead go with Nier. It's been a while since I've played it, partly because of it's sad-y-ness, partly because the gameplay is just not fun, but one part that broke my miserable heart was
This part where you spend a sidequest preparing for this prince's wedding. He's marrying this girl who's beneath his station, but everyone's cool with it and they all wear goofy masks that make them look just absolutely charming and they're walking down the aisle and then a bunch of wolf monsters attack and the girl dies in his arms and it's made all the more tragic by the fake language they speak (subtitles are more emotional than spotty JRPG voice acting) and it's very difficult to explain how just fucking hopeless that scene made me feel. I'm sure there's a clip on Youtube, but whatever. It's like, the rest of the game was grim, but it kept feeling like there were bright spots amidst the darkness, but then they all just die. On the plus side, it made the subsequent fight against the wolf monsters make me feel like a vengeful god, but on the minus side again, apparently the wolf monsters have tragic backstories too so there's no winning.

Also, the end of Metal Gear Solid 3. You guys know what it is.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Padwolf said:
Sir, I wish to spoil nothing for you! But he is an option in some cases. Yeah, when it was Stroud in mine I had no problems letting Stroud take the hits for Hawke. Hawke is my best buddy!
I left Hawke and brought Stroud.

I felt it made for a better story experience. My Hawke was always a tragic character (despite his sense of humour), having loved Anders and then had to put him down like a rabid dog.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
In Fallout 3, my Lone Wanderer was exploring the wasteland when her pip-boy intercepted an emergency transmission from a father pleading for help for him and his son. Not one to shirk a rescue, she went about triangulating the location. Eventually, she found their rabbit-hole, only to find out that she was too late, by a century or two. That was when the gravity of the back story kicked in for me.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Padwolf said:
Sir, I wish to spoil nothing for you! But he is an option in some cases. Yeah, when it was Stroud in mine I had no problems letting Stroud take the hits for Hawke. Hawke is my best buddy!
I left Hawke and brought Stroud.

I felt it made for a better story experience. My Hawke was always a tragic character (despite his sense of humour), having loved Anders and then had to put him down like a rabid dog.
Yeah, I did get a sense of a more tragic character for Hawke in Dragon Age Inquisition. She (In my case, a "diplomatic" Hawke) sounded very tired of all that in her dialogue while Diplomatic Hawke in 2 had a sense of humor, in Inquisition however she doesn't, like the events of Dragon Age 2 and the space between 2 and Inquisition had finally taken a toll on her.(Or him, whatever.)

Still couldn't have left her in the Fade, even if I admit that Stroud surviving and helping the Grey Wardens makes far more sense than Hawke surviving.

And if I may turn my on thread into rage a bit... What's up with Hawke's face? I usually never go for default, but default female Hawke in DA2 was a very good one so I went with it, most likely because they model it after someone. DA:I is like a cheap version of that made in the game's character creation. I wonder if is the same for the male Hawke.

And while on Dragon Age: Inquisition:

Wasn't a very "manly tears" scene or even "sad" scene, but I thought the moment between Morrigan and Flemeth actually very well done. If you do the Dark Ritual in Dragon Age Origins, is nice to see that Morrigan actually changes a lot in her own way. Willing to sacrifice her life and her body to Flemeth to keep her son safe.

I downloaded the new DLC last night and gonna play sometime today if I don't decide to get some sleep for tomorrow... May have more scene such as these, given the description of the DLC I doubt, but it may.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
If I'm allowed to be original.

The ending to Wolfenstein the New Order hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm not going to describe it because its a great game and I feel everyone should experience it for themselves, but just be content with the knowledge that its a very touching ending to a game that had you killing Nazis in locations ranging from a super prison in Germany all the way to research facility on the moon.

And no, that statement is not hyperbole, you literally kill Nazis on the moon, go get your credit card and buy the damn game.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Everyone keeps mentioning the beginning of The Last of Us, but I actually thought one scene in that game was even worse.
That being Sam and Henry. Sarah's death is a gut punch, sure, but it's also kind of a tool to establish the mood, tone and how Joel becomes the jaded man he is. But by the time you get to the scene with the brothers you've also seen glimmers of hope in the world, like Bill's town and how he makes it out alive, Joel and Ellie's slow warmup to each other, Ellie and Sam's kindling friendship and how Ish discovered the sewers and established a mini-society there. But when you first see Sam's gotten infected, then have to watch Henry shoot him and then himself it just hits you even harder. You can see even Joel being shocked at the turn.

Also To the Moon, when you discover why River made all those origami rabbits... freaking tears, man.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm going to say something nobody else has said. Planescape: Torment.
The "Longing" sensory stone about Deionarra is heartbreaking. It's the story of a woman who loves a man with all her heart when he doesn't care about her and is only manipulating her towards his own ends. She ends up dying as a result. The Practical Incarnation is such an awful person.