Saddest Moments in a Video Game

XIII's Number XIV

Not in here, you idiot!
Sep 14, 2009
Axel's death in Kingdom Hearts 2 got me going. HNGGGGGGH

But I think the saddest part in any game I've played is in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, when you had to go back to the real world. Even though I've played that game tons of times, that always makes me ball.

MrBaguette

Jan 26, 2012
That time where you spent 40 hours beating a game and you finish...only to find yourself empty inside

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
My reaction after seeing my brother open the disc tray of the playstation 2 and throwing down the drain my whole day after trying to get 50000 hero points on Spiderman 2.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
katsabas said:
My reaction after seeing my brother open the disc tray of the playstation 2 and throwing down the drain my whole day after trying to get 50000 hero points on Spiderman 2.
How many broken bones did he get after THAT one? I know I would have beat the crap out of anyone who did something like that.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Gomi500 said:
Xiroh86 said:
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Probably
I love the MGS games
That was pretty epic-ly sad. I think the ending after the credits of MGS4, where Otacon is talking to Snake. It's just dialogue, but hell, it hits home, especially if you have played all the games.
I agree with both points that's why MGS are my favorite games ever. Those too were epically sad. Mines was when you had to drag Snake through the microwave thing. Putting his life on the line like that. Damn...Just Damn.
The entire last couple hours of that game were just ridiculously sad for me. I imagine they would have been even MORE sad had I played the other games (unfortunately I have not). The final fisticuffs with Liquid, as different game's themes played, Raiden's ending, and especially the wedding, with Otacon just looking into the horizon thinking about Snake. And then the final bit of dialogue between Otacon and Snake with the MGS4 logo.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
In mass effect 2, I had Mordin in charge of the second fire team, "tell them I helled the line". Mordin is one of my favorite characters of all time, I'd be way more depressed if I sent Tali to her death. That was only the saddest moment, there are several very sad moments in video games (mostly boiware).

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
My War-Hero "Cog Cobblemore's" death in my most recent game of dwarf fortress. ='(

In an early siege he had lost both his legs but somehow survived, in a later raid he beat a goblin to death with his crutches, that was so heroic that I retired him. He spent his twilight years fishing.

Then, one day a huge siege force arrived, Cog didn't even see the ten odd arrows that knocked him down. As he lay on the floor with a punctured lung a troll walked up to him and punched him in the head, cracking his skull, the troll then picked him up by his ear, gouged his eye out with a horn and threw him through the air. The blind, legless Dwarf then tried to get back up, despite having lost both of his crutches but then a goblin swordmaster rammed a sword through his skull, pulverising his brain and killing him at last.

It was such a hardcore way to go, but pretty tragic, he was my favourite dwarf. :(

HiC

Mar 31, 2011
K84 said:
Finished AC Revelations today, so there's a moment still fresh in my memory.
When Ezio came to check on Sofia and found Yusuf's dead body on a bench in her shop.
I liked Yusuf....
I would have put the bit where
Altier walks through the library turning off all the lights and then sits down, then you go back to Ezio and see his corpse

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
How many broken bones did he get after THAT one? I know I would have beat the crap out of anyone who did something like that.
How many broken bones ? Well, none, cause he has an arsenal of weapons...

After that, I said what the hell, I am gonna buy the Whirlwind Kick and clean the city once again.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Return to Kharak.

But even the tutorial-like gameplay was heavy because you really felt like everyone is counting on you and you only had very few resources, so every single unit was valuable and every single loss meant something to you. That's some excellent combination of storytelling and gameplay right there.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
The prologue of the City Elf storyline in Dragon Age Origins.

You get to know and come to like your cousin in the city and then she gets take to the castle by some bastard humans.
You fight through the whole castle to save her and in the end one of the girls has been murdered already and your cousin has already been raped.

Her standing there so vulnerable and broken when you reach her hit close to home for me.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
The ending to Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. It is the only thing in a game that made me tear up.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII.

/thread
Hardly. Silly girl goes off to stop the big bad on her lonesome and gets skewered. Not surprising, not sad, and if she'd 'fessed up about the materia in her sodding hair before running off she'd have saved the cast a whole lot of effort and time. Bloody Mary-Sues.

Squenix moments that make me bawl are when
Yuna bursts into tears at Macalania Spring, when Squall gets lost in time at the end of FFVIII, Sora and Kairi being separated at the end of Kingdom Hearts, (especially when it cuts to the cave drawings of each other shortly afterwards)
and one from AC is when
Cristina dies

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
In Fallout 3 when your Dad has to commit suicide to save you.
Ending of Fable II where your beloved dog gets shot. I canot pick the family option fast eough!
Not quite in tears but definetly full of rage and anger on the PC account.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Let's see:
1) Dom dying in Gears of War 3.
2) Soap dying in MW3.
3) The ending cinematic of Assassin's Creed Revelations where the sun explodes or something and the first civilization is wiped out.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know if it was sad but the "Good Ending" from InFAMOUS 2 it still sort of disturbs me not so much in a sad way but it kinda makes me feel nothing, something that's really uncomfortable when I get back to it its like I did so much (as Cole) and busted my ass saving the world and then that ending just sort of talk about emptiness