Saddle Up, C*cks*ckers!: A Deadwood Movie Is Coming Our Way

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Saddle Up, C*cks*ckers!: A Deadwood Movie Is Coming Our Way

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1029/1029095.png

Everyone's favorite expletive-laden western, which wound up on the wrong side of a bullet back in 2006, is being resurrected as a movie, per HBO.

Despite only spanning from 2004 to 2006, HBO's Deadwood was able to gain quite a notorious following in its time, thanks in no small part to a ruthless, foul-mouthed cast led by Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, Molly Parker, and Dayton Callie.

Recently, however, Garret Dillahunt [http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-says-deadwood-movie-early-talks-223806]) that the western would be coming back in the form of a feature length film -- an increasingly popular option for cult shows nowadays, it would seem. Earlier today, that news was confirmed by HBO's president of programming, Michael Lombardo.

"David (Milch) has our commitment that we are going to do it. He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be-and knowing David, that could change. But it's going to happen," Lombardo promised, adding that Milch feels he has "something left unsaid" in the violent South Dakota town.

As is always the case with these kinds of things, the Deadwood revival does not come without a few strings attached. For starters, show creator, writer, and producer David Milch is currently working on another project at the moment, so no timetable for the return of Sheriff Seth Bullock and the rest of the gang has been set as of now. And given the ever-busy schedules of stars Olyphant and McShane these days, who knows how the scheduling will have to work out. But to loosely quote Al Swearengen, "pain or damage or prior commitments don't end the world."

Source: A.V. Club [http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-has-greenlit-deadwood-movie-230448?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I have waited and waited for this. Ian McShane is pretty old though. Hopefully he's healthy and won't die before they film this. There can be no Deadwood without him.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
How to write an episode of Deadwood:

Step 1: Write a script containing no fewer than 263 uses of the word "Fuck".
Step 2: Replace all commas in the script with the word "Fuck".
Step 3: Repeat Step 2 with all adverbs.
Step 4: Repeat Step 2 with all adjectives.
Step 5: Repeat Step 2 with all nouns.
Step 6: Repeat Step 2 with all verbs.

Congratulations! You're ready to start filming the episode!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
FUCK! YES!

Now would it really have been so hard to make this decision about 8 years ago!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Still waiting for that Game of Thrones movie that takes place during Robert's Rebellion.
Nah mate, The Dance of the Dragons (not the book the event in Westerosi history) is the way to go for a movie. Full blown dragon civil war *****!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
K12 said:
FUCK! YES!

Now would it really have been so hard to make this decision about 8 years ago!
This decision has been made on the back of DVD/Blu Ray and digital sales. The sales remain strong 8 years out and that means there enough demand to fill cinemas

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Is this the series with"realistic"/over-the-top violence, gore, blood and no qualms about showing it but have to censor swearwords with beeps for the delicate viewers or am I thinking of another show?
Maybe it was Game of Thrones...no, that was where you show partial nudity and explicit violence. Don't know about censored swearwords in that one.

Anyway, good news for fans!

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Is this the series with"realistic"/over-the-top violence, gore, blood and no qualms about showing it but have to censor swearwords with beeps for the delicate viewers or am I thinking of another show?
Maybe it was Game of Thrones...no, that was where you show partial nudity and explicit violence. Don't know about censored swearwords in that one.

Anyway, good news for fans!
You're thinking of another show. This show is built on the use of swear words mostly excessive use of "fuck" and "cocksucker". Even the character that doesn't speak English says cocksucker.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Hopefully the movie has a clear sense of direction and purpose. I loved the characters and the world of Deadwood, but it usually lacked an overall plot or theme. The show felt like it was just spinning its tires without actually going anywhere. Especially in the later seasons.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Objectable said:
Carnivale was better.
Carnivale is absolutely amazing. And it was supposed to be a 4 season show. I think a movie could work just as well with Carnivale. Hopefully one day we'll get that as well.

redmoretrout said:
Hopefully the movie has a clear sense of direction and purpose. I loved the characters and the world of Deadwood, but it usually lacked an overall plot or theme. The show felt like it was just spinning its tires without actually going anywhere. Especially in the later seasons.
You could say the same about The Sopranos then.

Deadwood is a show about Deadwood itself and about the people living there. The underlying plot that drives the whole thing is that of what's going to happen to everyone's claim on the land once Deadwood becomes officially a part of South Dakota. Because as it stands it's an illegal settlement.

Mudman1234

Dec 25, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
I have waited and waited for this. Ian McShane is pretty old though. Hopefully he's healthy and won't die before they film this. There can be no Deadwood without him.
He's going to be in Game Of Thrones Season 6. He's not exactly on the brink of death.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Oh fuckin' yes! Goddamn cocksuckers better make a good fucking job of this! Please, let this be fucking true! I can't wait to meet that cocksucker Swearengen again!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
K12 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Still waiting for that Game of Thrones movie that takes place during Robert's Rebellion.
Nah mate, The Dance of the Dragons (not the book the event in Westerosi history) is the way to go for a movie. Full blown dragon civil war *****!
You call those winged skinny bats Dragons? Those are not Dragons those are Wyverns. THESE ARE DRAGONS:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100113122141/dragonage/images/8/80/Concept-HighDragon.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/848f86233fb846b65321e8c9b8692ce0/tumblr_mg03cjo0eR1rb48exo1_1280.png

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131226155452/monsterhunter/images/a/ac/1stGen_and_2ndGen-Fatalis_Render_001.png

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/wow/images/4/4e/Nefarian_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120525192821&path-prefix=fr

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm cautiously enthusiastic about this!

There was a lot of big events in Deadwood's history that have yet to take place (the fire, for one), and the series always felt unresolved.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
maninahat said:
I'm cautiously enthusiastic about this!

There was a lot of big events in Deadwood's history that have yet to take place (the fire, for one), and the series always felt unresolved.
I agree, I still feel there are more stories to be had with this, and more Al Swearengin is good for my soul. I don't want to be too excited until I'm at the theater purchasing the tickets, though, I've made peace with the series being over, so no need to get too excited.